Your top speed

General Bike chat
popkat

Re: Your top speed

Post by popkat »

Mr flat earther I don't disagree with everything you say, I once questioned you about something and you got all upset and left for a while, that was your issue not mine..
As for your tyre slip claims as I have already said it's wheel spin and like the article you quoted it clearly says it's under acceleration and not how you have mistakenly taken it. Your wrong but you won't admit it so best leave it there. I agree stuff posted on the forum should be factual which is why I and others are making the point..
180mph no storm will do that without a lot of engine work, why is yours the only one ?, I just don't believe it. the explanations have been previously posted.

You've posted some useful info in the past which is good, no issues there.. It's also nice for you to get some defence from some others (relating to past posts) but on this Subject your wrong, full stop.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

uk13iker wrote:135 is mine 2 up over the mountain in the Iom and started spluttering not sure if it was due to altitude but was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s nearly one hundred mile n hour faster than managed this year!
Next time I’ll try it when the fog isn’t so thickImage

My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
thelens

Post by thelens »

Well back on topic :D
Last Sunday I had a quick look see, at what my top end speed was. Turned out to be 150 on the clock. Held on for longer and with a tail wind it might have hit 155 but was certainly out of puff by 150.
Tried an experiment today. Kinda part two :lol:
Last weak, as I thought the bike felt a bit flat in top I decided to ignore 6 th gear. So I turned my bike into a 5 speed lol
It worked.... it genuinely felt like a hard pulling fast bike. I did not thrash it and played mostly around 7500 mark which saw speeds around 120 ish. So this got me thinking.
Leave gearing as is and save 6th for cruising. A few benefits too.... free.... overdrive .... better fuel consumption ect
This would only work if I’m not losing out anywhere. Of course exceleration is much better but what about top end ?
Well I caned it... in 5th gear. Needle went about 6 mm into the red. It got there much faster than rolling on in 6th gear.
And shocker lol.... top speed in 5th was 155 mph :lol:
Bit faster than I expected !
Happy at that ! :) :lol:
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Pete.L wrote:
uk13iker wrote:135 is mine 2 up over the mountain in the Iom and started spluttering not sure if it was due to altitude but was fun.

That’s nearly one hundred mile n hour faster than managed this year!
Next time I’ll try it when the fog isn’t so thickImage

Yes can be a bit scary when the fog comes in literally can’t see past your nose ha.

Stephan

Post by Stephan »

thelens wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:56 pm Well back on topic :D
Last Sunday I had a quick look see, at what my top end speed was. Turned out to be 150 on the clock. Held on for longer and with a tail wind it might have hit 155 but was certainly out of puff by 150.
Tried an experiment today. Kinda part two :lol:
Last weak, as I thought the bike felt a bit flat in top I decided to ignore 6 th gear. So I turned my bike into a 5 speed lol
It worked.... it genuinely felt like a hard pulling fast bike. I did not thrash it and played mostly around 7500 mark which saw speeds around 120 ish. So this got me thinking.
Leave gearing as is and save 6th for cruising. A few benefits too.... free.... overdrive .... better fuel consumption ect
This would only work if I’m not losing out anywhere. Of course exceleration is much better but what about top end ?
Well I caned it... in 5th gear. Needle went about 6 mm into the red. It got there much faster than rolling on in 6th gear.
And shocker lol.... top speed in 5th was 155 mph :lol:
Bit faster than I expected !
Happy at that ! :) :lol:
One of the reasons I always liked 16/43 gearing, bike is better when city commuting, good rideable at medium speed, and there is more usage for 5 and 6th gear.

Tbh I hit 180mph on speedo as well, but there is approx 7% fault reading from gearing, another 7 as oem tacho difference all vtr have, and some amount for rear tire slippage at high speed. At all, it is bellow 155mph in reality.

Regarding rear tire slip, yes there is. There is rubber mounted on rim, and while the wheel is accelerating, rubber is moving on the rim backside. As speed is increasing, rubber is constantly coming back to its position to rim. If there was no slippage, rear tire would last forever ...
Sorry for english, I am lazy to search correct terms ...