Your top speed

General Bike chat
kawa

Re: Your top speed

Post by kawa »

well i got up to 125 mph in no time just changed up the gears to use the torque and revved out smoothly and before you knew it I was illegal, still had another gear to go, to my suprise. lol
Love my bike to bits and i have never rode a bike like it.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Don't know as it was too fast to accurately look down and read the speedo but around 158 ish according to the speedo which is not the most accurate so one can knock 7mph ish off or on that. And yes that is far to fast and bloody dangerous as concentration levels have to be way up there. One split second and your screwed along with tunnel vision. These bikes can piss all over 100 mph and 70 - 80 is a comfortable cruising speed for them and anything below is just uncomfortable and back breaking. At average speed limits of 50 on motorways is dam ought dangerous as there's not only boredom taking concentration away but back and neck aches and difficulty keeping the bike running smoothly at those lower speeds. Half the time I would spend laying across the tank looking across at the cows in a field. Is fact it's so boring you can play challenging games with yourself and see how long you can close your eyes for or start counting sheep LOL It's a bit different around town at lower speeds as there is so much more to concentrate on and do plus there's all the stop and starts for lights etc so time to rest the body. I don't know how the yanks cope with their IIRC 55 limit on freeways. Imagine riding on roads with an average 50 everywhere. Might as well buy a Thomas moped or get off and walk.
==============================Enter the Darkside
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

VTRDark wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:57 am I don't know how the yanks cope with their IIRC 55 limit on freeways. Imagine riding on roads with an average 50 everywhere. Might as well buy a Thomas moped or get off and walk.
Just a quick FYI, we no longer have a national 55 MPH speed limit. Where I live now the freeway speed limit is 75 MPH :thumbup:

I should also add back in SoCal where the limit is posted 65MPH but the freeways actually run right at 90MPH the bike was very happy :angel:
Last edited by 8541Hawk on Sat May 04, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Here in Oz the Freeway speed limit is 110 Klms per hour.

Just where you don't want it to be on a standard geared VTR.

Most of the time I sit on a bit over when in 6th gear as it feels better in 5th gear at 110 .

The VTR is plenty fast enough if you want it to be , 220 to 250' it's still comfortable and achievable without too much drama.

Doesn't happen very often but it has happened in the right environment.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
kawa

Post by kawa »

:o Lol I PROUDLY quick shifted through the gears the other day and glanced down at an indicated 125 mph but I only weigh 9 STONE, OFFICER:)
kawa

Post by kawa »

Hold on folkes I bought this bike for the straight line drag excitement and I must inform you it do`s not disappoint, apart from the clutch seems grabby then/not at 2,500 rpm mmm, fast revvy pull offs are a no no but progressive revs from low down are fantastic and i am glad I sold my CBR 600 as this machine is fantastic to rev out and I find it fantastic in power delivery as it has no actual stutter or powerband as such in the revs.
Could any body tell me is it worth revving beyond 8,000 rpm and does it have a power band? :!:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

kawa wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:05 pm Could any body tell me is it worth revving beyond 8,000 rpm and does it have a power band? :!:
On a stock VTR you haven't even hit peak HP yet...... :angel:
The stock peak numbers are 7.5K to 7.7K for torque and HP should peak between 8.5K and 8.7K depending on the model year.

So yeah you might want to try it...... :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

kawa wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:05 pm Hold on folkes I bought this bike for the straight line drag excitement and I must inform you it do`s not disappoint, apart from the clutch seems grabby then/not at 2,500 rpm mmm, fast revvy pull offs are a no no but progressive revs from low down are fantastic and i am glad I sold my CBR 600 as this machine is fantastic to rev out and I find it fantastic in power delivery as it has no actual stutter or powerband as such in the revs.
Could any body tell me is it worth revving beyond 8,000 rpm and does it have a power band? :!:
No its a four stroke not a 2smoke... :crazy:

You can rev it as high as you like, wont do any good as it has a rev limiter so will just cut...

Ride the Tourque not the revs... It's a different engine to your old CBR il4, you dont need to rev the nuts off it to get along...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

MacV2 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:11 pm
You can rev it as high as you like, wont do any good as it has a rev limiter so will just cut...
Well not all of us have a limiter........ :wink: But for most yeah, you're not going to over rev it :thumbup:
Also an FYI the rev limiter cuts in at 10.3K RPM
kawa

Post by kawa »

LOL,sir I hit the revlimiter in second as I pulled off and gripped for dear life and was pleasantly surprised I had comfortably left all in my wake:)
kawa

Post by kawa »

I slow down when the butterflies in my stomach get too much lol
thelens

Post by thelens »

VT1000r wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:52 am What's the fastest you've gotten the vtr up to, any mods? Anybody pass the 160mph mark?
Not had mine proper flat out yet. It hit 150 easily enough. Not sure how much faster it would go held on for longer.
I Shall try it when I can. I think it might just touch 160. Thats on the clock of course.
Although I read that the top speed is 144. That seems about right from my indicated 150.
Except I am certain it would have gone a bit faster if it can be held long enough. I just had to throttle down lol

The bike had certainly run out of steam even before the 150 it was a slow climb really.
Still.... fast enough for me. It will cruise untroubled at 100 all day long, without giving you that mechanical torture feeling :D
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

The actually top speed with a stock geared bike and a stock ECU is between 155-160 MPH.

The speedo will be buried past 180MPH indicated at this time due to a couple of factors including built in speedo error and a thing called tire slip.
Been there more than once....

As for how the bike pulls in the upper RPM range....has a lot to due with set up :thumbup:
thelens

Post by thelens »

8541Hawk wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:14 pm The actually top speed with a stock geared bike and a stock ECU is between 155-160 MPH.

The speedo will be buried past 180MPH indicated at this time due to a couple of factors including built in speedo error and a thing called tire slip.
Been there more than once....

As for how the bike pulls in the upper RPM range....has a lot to due with set up :thumbup:
If your needle is being buried past 180 mark then it safe to assume you have gone one tooth smaller on the front cog.
Otherwise your in need of a new speedo :D
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

thelens wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:34 pm If your needle is being buried past 180 mark then it safe to assume you have gone one tooth smaller on the front cog.
Otherwise your in need of a new speedo :D
Well if you knew me you would know that I personally think going to lower gearing on a VTR is counter productive....IMHO any bike I can pull away from a standing start in 3rd gear, really doesn't need lower gearing.

As for my speedo, even with showing over 100K miles, it functions perfectly.

The reason for the increasing speedo error when the speeds rise is not due to faulty equipment but simple physics.
It all has to do with the term "tire slip" that I used before.

Ever wonder why the center of the large rear tire wears out long before the center of the small front tire, especially if you do a lot of straight line traveling? Also the higher speed you travel, the faster the rear wears?

I could get deep into it but to keep things simple the basic answer is that you must have traction to drive the bike forward. In order to have traction you must create friction. This friction is created by the rear tire spinning slightly faster than the bike is traveling.

The faster you go, the more traction you need to drive through the air, the more tire slip is created.

A place where the math shows this phenomenon can be shown is if you do the gearing/speed calculations.
Go to a site like Gearing Commander and punch in the VTR info. Then adjust the RPM to match the VTRs built in Rev limiter (10.3K RPM)

The math says the bike will have a top speed of 183.4 MPH but we all know the bike will not pull to those speeds....but why not ?

Sure the factory has a built in error, usually around 3-4% that way any speeding is on you not the manufacturer all the rest is due to tire slip as this bike reads speed from the rear tire.

To date myself, I had this conversation with Jim Allen back when he was the US Dunlop rep http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2010/01/a ... to-retire/ and got the figure of up to 10% tire slip is possible.
Which is to say, at high speeds it is possible for the rear tire to be spinning 10% faster than the bike is actually going.

Now lets take these numbers and apply them to the Gearing Commander numbers.
Take the 183.4 MPH that the math says is the top speed and then take 3% for factory error and add 10% for tire slip for a total of 13% error.
Apply this to the 183.4 and you get.....wait for it.....159.5 or right at what the bike actually does.

It is why there is no issue with my gauges when they show over 180 MPH when the bike is topped out. :thumbup: