Ok so I cheated today and paid a garage to do my mcct's

General Bike chat
bobbler

Ok so I cheated today and paid a garage to do my mcct's

Post by bobbler »

But I'm so glad I did....

Not only do i not have to worry every time I go out about my acct's going pop but I had been telling them about suffering from quite bad carb fart at around 3.5k revs. This morning it seemed to be happening around 2.5k revs as well which made for an interesting ride through the village.

Picked the bike up tonight and they said while stripping the bike down there looked to be crap in the carbs so they gave them a clean and blasted out the jets too.

My word WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! what I thought was a good bike is now even better, no more low down hesitation and soo much more power. It may be placebo but it also seems to have lost a ticking noise that I though was the exhaust and if I was losing faith in the bike I'm definitely not any more.

Definitely feeling the love for the VTR at the moment. :thumbup:
VTRsquid

Re: Ok so I cheated today and paid a garage to do my mcct's

Post by VTRsquid »

How much labour was involved in the MCCT's if you dont mind me asking?
Good to hear the carb clean has helped. Im on the first tank of injector cleaner additive on mine. Pretty sure the po wasnt riding it in recent years and can use a carb clean. After that i'll do the same and get a garage to do it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

happy days bobbler :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

VTRsquid wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:54 pm How much labour was involved in the MCCT's if you dont mind me asking?
Good to hear the carb clean has helped. Im on the first tank of injector cleaner additive on mine. Pretty sure the po wasnt riding it in recent years and can use a carb clean. After that i'll do the same and get a garage to do it.
It was around £100 but considering it took them around 3.5hrs and with the cleaning of carbs I was more than happy. I had ran a bottle of silkolene through the bike for carb icing but it didn't make a great deal of difference.

Throttle is smoother and the bike is more responsive so all I need now is another excuse to ride it :wink:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well at least you got them done :thumbup:

Chris.
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:52 am happy days bobbler :clap: :clap:
:thumbup: now that I'm happy with it again a lightened flywheel has to be back on the list too.
sirch345 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:25 pm Well at least you got them done :thumbup:

Chris.
Cheers Chris I would have liked to have had a go myself. Trouble was with work/family/commitments the good weather was getting closer and the bike wasn't any nearer getting done.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

bobbler wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:21 am
I had ran a bottle of silkolene through the bike for carb icing but it didn't make a great deal of difference.
There really is no carb icing issues with this bike. The whole thing has come from a misunderstanding of the carb heat lines.

Two things shoot down the icing theory.
First the lines shut off when the thermostat opens.
Second have you ever put your hand where the carbs live after the bike has warmed up?
Its nice and toasty where the carbs are located, in the middle of the V, so icing is pretty much impossible.

Carry on :angel: :D
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

8541Hawk wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:26 pm
I had ran a bottle of silkolene through the bike for carb icing but it didn't make a great deal of difference.
There really is no carb icing issues with this bike. The whole thing has come from a misunderstanding of the carb heat lines.

Two things shoot down the icing theory.
First the lines shut off when the thermostat opens.
Second have you ever put your hand where the carbs live after the bike has warmed up?
Its nice and toasty where the carbs are located, in the middle of the V, so icing is pretty much impossible.

Carry on :angel: :D
I was just following advice from a local garage bud. After telling them about suffering from carb fart at around 3.5k revs they suggested trying an additive. I've never really been a big fan but was willing to try it as it's only a few quid and wouldn't do any harm as I could see.

Most likely the carbs hadn't been looked at in a while and after a good clean and blast of the jets it's made a huge difference.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

VTRsquid wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:54 pm How much labour was involved in the MCCT's if you dont mind me asking?
It was around £100 but considering it took them around 3.5hrs and with the cleaning of carbs I was more than happy. I had ran a bottle of silkolene through the bike for carb icing but it didn't make a great deal of difference.

Throttle is smoother and the bike is more responsive so all I need now is another excuse to ride it :wink:
Sounds like they really looked after you, over here its about $100 an hour. Good to here the bike is running the way it should. Even mine is soo much crisper now the injector cleaner is starting to do something and the recent coolant flush has it running at the propper temp ( i suspect po didnt burp the system properly last time he did it) its amazing how good it is to have your bike running properly. I'll send mine in for a mcct and carb tickle soon. Good to know its only a few hours labour involved. Cheers and enjoy!
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

bobbler wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:31 pmOk so I cheated today and paid a garage to do my mcct's
Post by bobbler » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:31 pm

But I'm so glad I did....
And you are the smarter one for doing that.

Those that recognize they don't have the time or skill to do the job right are smarter to find a qualified mechanic to do the job rather then rush it or bumble though the job.

I have customers who CAN do the work they hire me for, but simply don't want to..to them its a fair trade, bike worked on in trade for cash while they are out riding a different bike, or playing golf, gone fishing, going with the wife to keep her company on a spa day...., wait scratch that one...
Point is, nothing wrong with putting a job in hands you trust...
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sounds like you have got a garage there. That's a really fair price and they looked after you. A rarity in this day and age. Keep them in your address book and return the good will in recommendations and some free advertising to promote them. We need more good garages and mechanics like that.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Just make sure it revs cleanly above 5k revs. Some bike companies are unaware of the 180 degrees out option. If it revs cleanly and doesn’t run out of puff above 5 you’re ok.
Well done on getting it fixed for life

:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

Thanks for all the positive replies folks.
E.Marquez wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:45 pm Those that recognize they don't have the time or skill to do the job right are smarter to find a qualified mechanic to do the job rather then rush it or bumble though the job.

Point is, nothing wrong with putting a job in hands you trust...
I completely agree, whilst I'd say I was probably competent to do the job a lack of time and grabbing hours here and there would not only mean a bike out of action for a while but more importantly a possibility for mistakes to be made. I now have a bike that not only means I can ride, it's now a bike I actually want to ride :D .
VTRDark wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:20 pm Sounds like you have got a garage there. That's a really fair price and they looked after you. A rarity in this day and age. Keep them in your address book and return the good will in recommendations and some free advertising to promote them. We need more good garages and mechanics like that.
Cheers bud. They are a great garage, passed on to me by word of mouth and I always do the same. A family run business in Stockton that are well known locally for being fair, helpful, friendly and most importantly know what they are doing. As I see it as long as they are in open they will get my business, MOT's etc.
Kev L wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:10 pm Just make sure it revs cleanly above 5k revs. Some bike companies are unaware of the 180 degrees out option. If it revs cleanly and doesn’t run out of puff above 5 you’re ok.
Well done on getting it fixed for life

:thumbup:
Cheers Kev, I haven't had chance to get out since taking it home. I don't recall any power loss but I will certainly check it next time :thumbup:
Last edited by bobbler on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Those who have suffered the timing being 180 out have found the bike runs beautifully bellow 5k, even better than when the timings correct. However above that the air box can’t cope with the narrower firing order and the bike falters.
Hope it’s good fella.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

No problem Bobbler give me a shout when you wana pull the trigger on a flywheel. believe me you wont be disapointed when you give it a handfull :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: