Handlebar height

General Bike chat
Beef

Handlebar height

Post by Beef »

Could someone please do me a favour, I don’t have standard clip ons on my bike and Roger has reworked my forks and advised me to drop the forks through an additional 5mm above the bars.
I need an accurate measurement of the height of the clip on above the top yoke - please! :D
popkat

Re: Handlebar height

Post by popkat »

on my race bike (vfr with storm complete front end) I have the forks flush with the top of the handle bars, they are 33mm showing above the top yoke. if you measure from the top down to the bottom of the clip groove then subtract that from 33 you'll have the standard height.

I think you might need to go more than 5mm. think i measured static sag on my std forks (vtr road bike) at 37mm, if you set the reworked ones up at 27mm you've raised the front by 10mm. point is it's important to take measurements before and after. Think mine currently through 8mm more than standard.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Don't forget the effect of a shock spacer on the fork angle.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks. I’ll go with Rogers advice of an additional 5mm to start with :thumbup:
Beef

Post by Beef »

popkat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:18 pm on my race bike (vfr with storm complete front end) I have the forks flush with the top of the handle bars, they are 33mm showing above the top yoke. if you measure from the top down to the bottom of the clip groove then subtract that from 33 you'll have the standard height.
Reading that again Popkat, your fork caps are flush with the top of the clip on clamp?
That sounds like they are then higher than standard, as standard has the clip groove set at the top of the clip on clamp!

Confused.com!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

In brackets on the first line :wink: VFR race bike with storm front end.. The VFR has a longer headstock so forks are pushed down.

you know where the standard clipons fit to so add that to 33 and you've got standard height.. for example the top of the forks to the bottom of the groove is 5mm (that's just a guess btw) then add that to 33mm (where I have mine) you have 38mm that would be standard height.. Now I think I said subtract in my first post, but it should be add.

Alternatively if someone gives you the tickness of a standard clipon you can work it out from there.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Beef wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:48 pm Could someone please do me a favour, I don’t have standard clip ons on my bike and Roger has reworked my forks and advised me to drop the forks through an additional 5mm above the bars.
I need an accurate measurement of the height of the clip on above the top yoke - please! :D

HTH's

Popkat had the right measurement :thumbup:

Chris.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Excellent, Sirch345 - you sir are a star :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Beef wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:53 pm Excellent, Sirch345 - you sir are a star :thumbup:
Er what about Popkat... ???

I know he has a rep for being a misery guts but come on give the guy some credit ... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Beef

Post by Beef »

I did say thanks even though I confused myself!
:lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Beef wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:53 pm Excellent, Sirch345 - you sir are a star :thumbup:
You're very welcome, glad it was helpful :thumbup:

Chris.