First Track Day

General Bike chat
Beef

First Track Day

Post by Beef »

Had an awesome day although not totally uneventful.....

Bike wouldn’t start, the fuel line was trapped by rear rocker (I have a fuel pump) sorted it, went out on sighting lap and realised in my haste I hadn’t checked tyre pressure since Sept last year! :oops:
Bike is running amazing, I don’t know what has made it so, cleaning carbs, connecting the TPS, or what but she just pulls and pulls.
Right round to the redline.

Only a couple of glitches
1. At the end of the (3/4mile) straight, she would sometimes splutter, but going WOT would clear it and she’d just take off.
2. Front skipped under really hard braking. Nothing like before, Rogers work has transformed it, I’ve emailed him for some advice.
3. The dash stopped working (Rev counter) for a couple of sessions then the last session, it started working intermittently but was indicating between 12000 and the stop pin so not really useful :lol:
4. Clutch was slipping a little occasionally, clutch biting point has moved so I’ll try bleeding before I go further.

But apart from that I had a grin from ear to ear :mrgreen:

There was a Silver VTR there today, anyone here?
AMCQ46

Re: First Track Day

Post by AMCQ46 »

sounds like you had a good day after the teething troubles :thumbup:
AMcQ
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Beef wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 pm
1. At the end of the (3/4mile) straight, she would sometimes splutter, but going WOT would clear it and she’d just take off.
Do you still have the float bowl vent lines attached and routed through the carb stays as they come stock?
If so either pull the lines out of the stays and route them downward or just remove them completely and the issue should go away. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Beef

Post by Beef »

8541Hawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:57 pm
Beef wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 pm
Do you still have the float bowl vent lines attached and routed through the carb stays as they come stock?
If so either pull the lines out of the stays and route them downward or just remove them completely and the issue should go away. :thumbup:
Yes, they’re still poked through the frame to nowhere, I’ll remove them. :thumbup:
Beef

Post by Beef »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm sounds like you had a good day after the teething troubles :thumbup:
I did, track riding is great fun - even for a complete biff like me :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I ran a fuel pump on my last storm. It was using the older 16 litre tank, and I found that the fuel tap was sometimes pulled closed against the vacuum by the "pull" of the fuel pump, closing the diaphragm and starving it of fuel.
To see if it's that causing your fuel starvation problem, try removing the diaphragm, and fitting a small stub onto the drain of the fuel tap (the one pointing vertically downwards) and stopping it, so no fuel can leak out.
This disables the tap, so fitting an in-line fuel tap stops the fuel from continuing to flow should the float needles stick slightly open while parked, filling the crankcases.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

What track ?
Beef

Post by Beef »

It was at RAF Odiham via their motorcycle club - 3/4 mile straight!

So not a track day per say.
Next is 2 days at Snetterton 9&10 Jul.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

This is the Honda bulletin from back in'98
Yes it says "front carb" but they meant "rear carb".
When the lines are run "as stock" the rear carb can puke fuel into the front carb under hard braking. The staggered stacks makes it a nice clean shot..... :wink:

Personally I just removed the lines years ago and issue solved :thumbup:

Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Beef

Post by Beef »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 pm I ran a fuel pump on my last storm. It was using the older 16 litre tank, and I found that the fuel tap was sometimes pulled closed against the vacuum by the "pull" of the fuel pump, closing the diaphragm and starving it of fuel.
To see if it's that causing your fuel starvation problem, try removing the diaphragm, and fitting a small stub onto the drain of the fuel tap (the one pointing vertically downwards) and stopping it, so no fuel can leak out.
This disables the tap, so fitting an in-line fuel tap stops the fuel from continuing to flow should the float needles stick slightly open while parked, filling the crankcases.
thanks Tony, I'll give it a go :thumbup:
8541Hawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:11 pm When the lines are run "as stock" the rear carb can puke fuel into the front carb under hard braking. The staggered stacks makes it a nice clean shot..... :wink:

I was wondering why the breather position could be an issue, thanks :thumbup:
Beef

Post by Beef »

Spoke with Roger, have a few things to try at Snetterton :D
Beef

Post by Beef »

So with Snetterton under 2 weeks away, I thought I’d better look at the bike!.....
Changed a 10A fuse and dash is working again, I am not convicnced that’s the end of it as before the fuse went, the tacho was 90-100 degrees out (reading off the scale!)
I have removed said carb vent pipes, I just need to replace the crappy fuel lines that join from tank to single line to pump. What size line is is anyone please?
thelens

Post by thelens »

Beef wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 pm Had an awesome day although not totally uneventful.....

Bike wouldn’t start, the fuel line was trapped by rear rocker (I have a fuel pump) sorted it, went out on sighting lap and realised in my haste I hadn’t checked tyre pressure since Sept last year! :oops:
Bike is running amazing, I don’t know what has made it so, cleaning carbs, connecting the TPS, or what but she just pulls and pulls.
Right round to the redline.

2. Front skipped under really hard braking. Nothing like before, Rogers work has transformed it, I’ve emailed him for some advice.
3. The dash stopped working (Rev counter) for a couple of sessions then the last session, it started working intermittently but was indicating between 12000 and the stop pin so not really useful :lol:
4. Clutch was slipping a little occasionally, clutch biting point has moved so I’ll try bleeding before I go further.

But apart from that I had a grin from ear to ear :mrgreen:

There was a Silver VTR there today, anyone here?
On the bright side.... getting a good track day after thinking it was not going to happen would have made it a glorious day :)
The front tyre skipping can only be one of two things. First would be you need a more sticky tyre as it is being overcome with the braking forces. If you’ve got good sticky tyres fitted, then it means your forks have run out of travel. Then the power has nowhere to go. My bike will skip under really hard braking but I’m running bt23s so almost certainly a tyre thing in my case. The bt23 is by no means a bad tyre but it’s still just a sports touring tyre. Fine for most, even for track days, but it would put notable limits on the fast boys :D
thelens

Post by thelens »

8541Hawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:11 pm This is the Honda bulletin from back in'98
Yes it says "front carb" but they meant "rear carb".
When the lines are run "as stock" the rear carb can puke fuel into the front carb under hard braking. The staggered stacks makes it a nice clean shot..... :wink:

Now that’s what I call useful :D