Shock Sock anyone.

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Shock Sock anyone.

Post by sirch345 »

Anybody using a rear shock sock :?:

IIRC Tony.mon uses one.

Are they really beneficial for a dry weather rider :?: I already have an after market hugger which extends below the swingarm so helps protect the shock.

Are you using one on your bike, if so what's your experience and opinion :?: Do they get burnt by the header being too close :?:

Thanks in advance guys,

Chris.
popkat

Re: Shock Sock anyone.

Post by popkat »

I can't see the point on a dry weather bike, the shock will be well protected from stone chips by the hugger. Unless you like the look of it.

In the wet they might help but you need to remove them regular and clean/dry the shock or it will corrode as moisture gets trapped. As it's probably a pain to get the thing off a storm shock my opinion on this bike at least is that it isn't worth it.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, I use one.
They certainly do get hot, and after a year or so the scorch marks evidence that.
To me it's worth fitting to try to keep some heat from soaking into the shock.

They're open top and bottom, so there's enough heat and air circulation to keep the moisture from collecting and corroding the shock and spring.

However, I will soon be fitting wrap on the rear downpipe as well to try to stop the scorching.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I wish I'd taken a picture of the WP shock I got off Mark, it had a shock sock on and the spring was badly corroded, there was pitting all over it, looked like it'd been rough sandblasted. fortunately the shaft was ok, I cleaned and painted the spring and it all looks good, but if you look close you can still see the pitting on the spring. The bike it came from was a very clean bike and won best storm award on here a couple of time I think.

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Was the shock sock put on to hide the pitting, or was it the cause?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

As I now own Jonesys old bike, that has Tonys old Hagon shock on it, that Tony had a sock on...

Not sure if Jonsey ran it with the sock on but both he & Tony ran the shock through several winters...

The spring is well rusty, I cant say if that was the socks fault or just the winter usage causing more of an issue what with the salt...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Many thanks Malc, Tony and Mac for your replies :thumbup:
Some very valid points made :D

Cheers,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 pm Was the shock sock put on to hide the pitting, or was it the cause?

It was off Mark Hills black bike, not a rusty old one :wink:

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Can a willie warmer be used instead :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

VTRDark wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:39 pm Can a willie warmer be used instead :lol:
i think they are rock socks :lol: :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:39 pm Can a willie warmer be used instead :lol:
:lol: :thumbup:

That would depend on if you can get one to fit a Penske shock with an O/S dia spring of 85mm :?: :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I wrapped my rear downpipe only- you can also see the shock sock singed in the background......

I used the stuff that Mikstr recommended, enough to do the downpipe was only 15 quid.
No idea if it will soak up water and rot the downpipe; if it does I'll have to buy another, I guess. It may be an original one, but as the rest of the system is a Ti Arrows 2:1 it might be one that came with that- I don't know; it was on the bike when I bought it.

If it seems to work, when I have some spare cash I'll buy a new shock sock and see if it singes.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:43 pm I wrapped my rear downpipe only- you can also see the shock sock singed in the background......

I used the stuff that Mikstr recommended, enough to do the downpipe was only 15 quid.
No idea if it will soak up water and rot the downpipe; if it does I'll have to buy another, I guess. It may be an original one, but as the rest of the system is a Ti Arrows 2:1 it might be one that came with that- I don't know; it was on the bike when I bought it.

If it seems to work, when I have some spare cash I'll buy a new shock sock and see if it singes.
Cheers Tony for posting up a photo of the header wrap now you've fitted it :thumbup:

It looks like you've done a nice neat job. Yes I can see the singed sock,

Chris.