De baffle standard cans

General Bike chat
Phil Treadgold

De baffle standard cans

Post by Phil Treadgold »

Hi guys. I'm sure this has been covered a long time ago but ... I have a pair of high level Remus alloy GP cans on my storm. Live the look, sound etc. After a lot of years of service and one re pack I've noticed today a fair amount of aluminium corrosion under the rubber liners in the the hangers. This is not the year for me to be spending a lot on bike stuff. In my garage are the original cans. They make the bike sound like a generator, like it should be pumping out 240 volts!
If I get a tank cutter to fit inside the outlet can I cut out the center small pipe. Is it just welded in to be twisted, knocked out after the cutter.? Will it sounds and run sh1t? Any photos or video of the process? Thanks guys.
tony.mon

Re: De baffle standard cans

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, it's been done.
Use the search facility and all will be revealed...
There's no point running yet another thread running through the same old info as is already posted.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Search for: Bafflectomy

:thumbup:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

was it cheekykev that done the really neat job that still looks standard?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Phil Treadgold

Post by Phil Treadgold »

I can find info, true. But I don't want to drill holes in the ends. I can't find any photos of the job done. You tube shows some but not the process.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The baffles are all fixed and welded in place so if you don't want to drill holes then your in for a whole load more work including ripping them all out and then welding the end cap back on again.
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I knew I'd written it up somewhere...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 15#p323801
Std De Baff 2.JPG
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:52 pm was it cheekykev that done the really neat job that still looks standard?
Yes it was me, but unless you're a competent sheet metal worker / fabricator, and also a competent tig welder I'd give it a miss and try the method put forward by MacV2 above.
Mine was a complete strip out and rebuild of all the internals plus I designed an end baffle to get the correct tone and noise level, like i say, a lot of work but worth it in the end.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

I bought a set of what I thought were good std cans. Turns out they'd been partly debaffled by pulling out most of the guts and then rewelding the tailpipe stub to the end plate. I'd say they not a total bafflectomy and are quiet off load but loud under load, nice sound but too wearing even with plugs after a couple of hrs. Look on ebay under firestorm exhaust and you'll see pics of the welds. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3797202038