Proper noisy cans

General Bike chat
bigbadjonno

Proper noisy cans

Post by bigbadjonno »

:thumbup:
So, first ride today after finally getting around to fitting the £60 quid, ebay bargain ART cans.
Fired the bike up with my kit on, earplugs in. Can't say I noticed a lot of difference. :think:
Oh well, they did have road legal markings on them after all.

First stop a while later, checked the phone for messages. Some rant off the missus cos the house shook when I fired it up :lol: OK, so left the earplugs out for the ride home.... Yes. Loud indeed. That's better.

Good earplugs though :thumbup: :lol:

I love this bike.

Question is, were they road legal and had band's fitted?? I think maybe so...
tony.mon

Re: Proper noisy cans

Post by tony.mon »

They might have been when they had baffle material inside them.... :Gun1:

All cans need too be rebuilt regularly to stay within decibel levels stated.

Also, lots of cans use mild steel perforated tube inside- over the years it rots and large holes appear.
Funnily enough, they get noisier when that happens, too.

For Carbon sleeves, a common fix when the rivet holes wear is to cut them a bit shorter and re-drill the rivet hole. It works well, but last time I butchered/repaired a set of MIG's I accidentally forgot to put the baffle material in, and they ended up a little louder than standard on that occasion, too.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Storms are known for being a bit loud. any track day iv done the first question iv been asked when iv said what bike im riding is. have you standard cans on it ? :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
thelens

Post by thelens »

Seems fitting to put this in here :lol:
First there was speed cameras.... now here in the uk we are getting noise cameras :wtf:
Welcome to communist Britain !
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

thelens wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 pm Seems fitting to put this in here :lol:
First there was speed cameras.... now here in the uk we are getting noise cameras :wtf:
Transport Secretary Chris 'Failing' Grayling (born on April 1st ;-) last time I looked he was an incompetent Conservative Govt. Minister - with a terrible (and expensive) track record of failed schemes on his CV inc. Privatised probation £143m, Ferry debacle £14m, £33m to Eurotunnel, £6m jail training for Saudi Arabia, £200million contract to Carillion, £23million prisoner tagging scheme etc. https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... erse-midas

In summary >
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The earlier Art cans (the ones made before baffles were used in them) were always known to be LOUDer than most mass produced cans :wink:

Chris.
thelens

Post by thelens »

Wicky wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:29 pm
thelens wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 pm Seems fitting to put this in here :lol:
Transport Secretary Chris 'Failing' Grayling (born on April 1st ;-) last time I looked he was an incompetent Conservative Govt. Minister - with a terrible (and expensive) track record of failed schemes on his CV inc. Privatised probation £143m, Ferry debacle £14m, £33m to Eurotunnel, £6m jail training for Saudi Arabia, £200million contract to Carillion, £23million prisoner tagging scheme etc. https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/po ... erse-midas

In summary >
He is deffo anti bike :lol: Priceless lol