Almost had a fault free ride.... almost !

General Bike chat
popkat

Re: Almost had a fault free ride.... almost !

Post by popkat »

I agree with your gearing theory. I tried one tooth down on the front years ago and it just doesn't work, the gearbox ratio's throw a curve as 5th and 6th especially are long, but the others are not. I then changed back and went just one tooth up on the rear, not a massive difference felt a little more perky but really was hardy anything over my mates one which was stock gearing, worth a try but it will put the speedo out a bit. on the plus side you'll get closer to 180mph on the clock :lol: maybe 160 :wink:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
thelens

Post by thelens »

popkat wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:56 pm I agree with your gearing theory. I tried one tooth down on the front years ago and it just doesn't work, the gearbox ratio's throw a curve as 5th and 6th especially are long, but the others are not. I then changed back and went just one tooth up on the rear, not a massive difference felt a little more perky but really was hardy anything over my mates one which was stock gearing, worth a try but it will put the speedo out a bit. on the plus side you'll get closer to 180mph on the clock :lol: maybe 160 :wink:

It’s just the fact it’s strugling to redline in top. I’ve gone one tooth smaller on the front on a few bikes. Including my st1050.
It worked bloody fantastic on that bike. But with the VTR it’s just a riding thing. The st pulled much harder in top. I would perhaps go two teeth bigger on the rear but I’m ashamed to say I’m also thinking of fuel consumption. It’s heavy enough. But I want a better ride. I think one extra tooth on the rear is a decent compromise for road use. I am supposed to be growing up an slowing it down :D
Over all.... it really does feel rather flat in top. It’s deffo over geared slightly. I would venture a guess Honda tried to help the poor fuel consumption as 6th seems almost like overdrive. I hardly used 6th gear last Sunday and it was a far more exciting bike lol
Of course..... riding this way is a real option too. That would leave me with an overdrive system.... which is no bad thing on a VTR :D
In fact I shall experiment with this a little more. Because riding like that felt good. Like in it being a different bike kinda good.
I know I was hitting speeds around 120-130 mark. But I was not thrashing it at all. Around 8500 rpm mark. This tells me 150 should be in easy reach even in 5th. Hmmmmm I could be onto sumit here.
In fact I’m now going see just what it will do in 5th rather than 6th.
Is it Sunday yet :D
thelens

Post by thelens »

Update.... although I’ve posted my findings on another thread :D
Well I did my experiment today. I must say I was a bit surprised. As in better than I expected.
Opened it up in 5th gear ! Managed to hit 10,000 rpm about 5mm into the redline, without too much of a problem.
Speedo was reading 155 :lol:
The bike is actually faster in 5th than 6th lol.. not only that.... it got there a darn sight faster than rolling on in 6th.
So I’m leaving my gearing stock. It’s heavy on fuel and having that 6th gear overdrive helps a lot :lol: