Almost had a fault free ride.... almost !

General Bike chat
thelens

Almost had a fault free ride.... almost !

Post by thelens »

First ride was bringing it home. V5 manual, service book, spare key, mot ect. ... all in an envelope nice n safe.
Yup... flew out of my pocket. Luckily, found the lot again like some sort of miracle. About 7 miles back :lol:

First main ride..... suffered the holy grail of the cam chain failure.

Third ride was to test the fixed cam chain adjuster... heavy rain, none stop from about 10 min after departure :D

I was looking forward to an enjoyable first trouble free ride today :D
Did I get it ? Hell no !!!
My £300 satnav went flying past my left shoulder :x
I braked hard.... so hard I locked front wheel a tad twice.....
Only to see my satnav over taking me on the outside :lol:
I thought, holy sh1t.... that’s a fast rat.... but no.... it was satnav making its own way to its destination.
I need :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Almost had a fault free ride.... almost !

Post by sirch345 »

I know I shouldn't, but reading that made me laugh :lol:

Hopefully your next outing will be trouble free,

Chris.
thelens

Post by thelens »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:37 pm I know I shouldn't, but reading that made me laugh :lol:

Hopefully your next outing will be trouble free,

Chris.
Well I had to laugh to stop me crying :D
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

I wouldn't bother with a lottery ticket just yet...…..
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Some bikes are lucky bikes.

Yours is lucky it wasn't owned by Fabio......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
thelens

Post by thelens »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:21 pm Some bikes are lucky bikes.

Yours is lucky it wasn't owned by Fabio......
I think I’m just getting the bad luck out of the way first lol :)
thelens

Post by thelens »

TaxiDriver wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:02 am I wouldn't bother with a lottery ticket just yet...…..
Yup... as it would be a winner and I would lose the ticket :x
thelens

Post by thelens »

Just an update... bought new satnav £220 from Halfords.
Seems it has cost me over £500 for just two ride outs lol.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

thelens wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:22 pm Just an update... bought new satnav £220 from Halfords.
It would have been cheaper to have hired a taxi :wink: :lol:

Chris.
thelens

Post by thelens »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 pm
thelens wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:22 pm Just an update... bought new satnav £220 from Halfords.
It would have been cheaper to have hired a taxi :wink: :lol:

Chris.
Taxi.... Taxi ! Thinking more bloody cruise ship :)
Still.... fuel consumption was not as bad as many seem to make it out to be. A silver cloud :lol:
thelens

Post by thelens »

Drum role please ! It finally happened.... my first problem free ride :lol:
Did a 240 mile trip with no faults or mishaps yayyyyyyyyy :D
Gave me chance to get more used to the bike at least.
Took the first half of the trip at a steady rate up to the 100 mark, to try and get a feel of the handling and braking.
I was taking particular attention to the front end and namely forks. As I’ve heard a lot about them being soft and bottoming out ect.
I observed no such problems. Ok I’ve had better and smoother with more feel ect but the forks, while not the best were certainly a none problem. Of course, there is a slight possibility that the previous owner had them sorted. Although the bike is very stock and does not come across as it was well looked after. So in truth, I doubt the previous owner spent money on getting the said forks sorted.
Started to push it more on the return trip. Spinning it up to and riding around 8500 rpm and speeds around 120-130 mark.
A few notes to myself !
I agree with many on here in that the gearing is a tad high. I think one tooth smaller on the front would send it a tad too low,
So when I change the chain and sprockets I have decided to go just one tooth bigger on the rear. My gut feeling says this will be about right :D
I also started to tip it on its ear a bit. I found it a tad twitchy on entry but held a nice line once settled.
The forks were better than I expected for feedback. Not great, but enough feedback to make them rather safe.
The rear end was a different matter. Rather hard and seemingly devoid of feedback. That said... the bike was not sliding and so I guess it did it’s job. It did make me wary of too much throttle on exit as I think you could be caught out with a scary high side, having so little feedback.
I believe I can make the handling much better. First and foremost... fitting Metz roadtech 01 will help with stability and improve the ride quality. They are a tad slow turning, so I will rectify it with a 6mm spacer on the rear shock.
When I can afford it... I will have the front forks tuned with some better quality gear and fit a decent rear shock.
I can imagine it being an awesome bike with a bit of money spent :D
However... just a change of tyre and 6mm rear lift should help to make it very good for now :D
Beef

Post by Beef »

Glad you finally got a trouble free ride....is your speedo in Kph? :lol: :lol:

Before you go to the expense of a new rear shock (although it isn't a great standard shock) you may find servicing the linkage bearings and swing arm pivot sorts some of your woes - especially if it's not been loved! :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

happy days :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: alls good in the hood as young people say :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
thelens

Post by thelens »

Beef wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:52 pm Glad you finally got a trouble free ride....is your speedo in Kph? :lol: :lol:

Before you go to the expense of a new rear shock (although it isn't a great standard shock) you may find servicing the linkage bearings and swing arm pivot sorts some of your woes - especially if it's not been loved! :thumbup:
Haha ! The bikes in pretty good clean nick. The thing is with it, is that I bought it with 4336 miles on the clock.
So barely run in. So it’s in pretty good nick. Except the thing should be like new in my view, with that kind of mileage.

I’m in no mad rush to get all the suspension done. It’s not exactly bad, in a way that I prefer to ride the front end and let the rear take care of itself. It’s clear it’s pretty budget stuff. Which has taken me by surprise. I did expect it to be a bit better.
I will certainly get the front end sorted as soon as I can manage.
As for the rear.... well I’m hoping to perhaps learn of a few solutions for the best upgrades from some of the folk on here.
Seems there plenty on here that know a lot :) Love forums :D
thelens

Post by thelens »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:11 pm happy days :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: alls good in the hood as young people say :thumbup:
Yes.... but I don’t know sh1t do I :lol: