steering stem swap

General Bike chat
haynesjones66

steering stem swap

Post by haynesjones66 »

does anyone know of an engineer capable of swapping stems? the two custom bike shops in my area dont want to do it. ta.
Wicky

Re: steering stem swap

Post by Wicky »

Putiing a rough idea of your location in your profile could be handy :-)

I guess Wales but with far flung Catherine Zeta Jones it could be Hollywood...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Use a professional bike shop.
If they can't even handle this, don't trust them with your money.
They're probably fine for pumping tyres up and checking whether you have fuel in the tank, though.
(but I'd check the pressures myself afterwards) :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

sunny west wales. ive looked at a few youtube clips so its not too difficult for someone with a hydraulic press
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Out of interest which bike's steering stem are you hoping to fit into which bike's bottom yoke :?:

Chris.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

haynesjones66 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 pm sunny west wales. ive looked at a few youtube clips so its not too difficult for someone with a hydraulic press
You dont even need hydraulic press, lathe is enough. Tough part is to prepare both parts for pressing with right tolerances. Vtr yoke has safety weld at the bottom, so it is questionable whether original stem is suitable just for pressing to another yoke, even though somebody do it.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

i'm grafting a 1994 cbr600 front end onto my phil read rep 750/4, also the swingarm. the frame isnt being modified in any way so it can be changed back to standard in about 3 days. i want to use it regularly so i need it to stop and handle better than it does. if youve ever ridden a standard f2, you'll understand!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

haynesjones66 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:10 am i'm grafting a 1994 cbr600 front end onto my phil read rep 750/4, also the swingarm. the frame isnt being modified in any way so it can be changed back to standard in about 3 days. i want to use it regularly so i need it to stop and handle better than it does. if youve ever ridden a standard f2, you'll understand!
i had a standard f2 years ago, and yes i know just what you mean, it was like riding a jelly sofa at times but in a fun way... as for the steering stem ,i swapped a storm stem into kawasaki 7R yokes, the weld at the bottom of the storm stem needed grinding to release the stem outa the bottom yoke but it was still long enough to leave me room to machine it and make up a bush to press it into the 7 bottom yoke..any decent machine shop should be able to do it if you bring them the storm stem removed ready to press into it.. :thumbup:

i done it easy enough and i used my lathe to press it in, but that was on my own bike so if it went wrong i was only gona hurt myself :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

haynesjones66 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:10 am i'm grafting a 1994 cbr600 front end onto my phil read rep 750/4, also the swingarm. the frame isnt being modified in any way so it can be changed back to standard in about 3 days. i want to use it regularly so i need it to stop and handle better than it does. if youve ever ridden a standard f2, you'll understand!
Ah I see, that's not one I've come across before. I'm sure it's possible as others have said.

I thought a mate of mine all those years ago used to say his Honda 750/4 F2 felt like it was hinged in the middle in the corners :wink:

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

If welded grind that off yourself, any good car garage should have a press to pop the stem out. You can then take measurements and work out what you need to do. Then go to an engineering firm and ask them to make the stem you want fit the yoke you want, this may have to be by an interference fit sleeve if the stem is smaller, they should also be able to press the stem in for you, you'll need it tig welded as well, the same firm may do this but I'd tend to go find a really good welder for that bit.

The CBR forks will be a lot shorter and may effect the geometry in a not so good way.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

the cbr conversion is a fairly common mod in the US and a mate has converted his 750 using fzr1000 front and rear end. it seems to handle quite well. the swingarm and rear wheel is also being fitted with new mounts on the swingarm for twinshocks. as soon as it's running and rolling, i'll put it on a daytime MOT - no lights or fairings etc, and see how it handles. i'm looking at getting it on the road by spring next year. watch this space!