This is the end

General Bike chat
StormyRob

This is the end

Post by StormyRob »

I've had storms for about 5, maybe 6 years and never really though of anything else.

Op Storm NI and Scotland she was an absolute beast. Loved it. Did me proud. Could offer so many compliments. Never really felt any discomfort until I was home and it wasn't bad anyway.

My commute to work is 7 miles on a straight road along the coast. By the time I'm home my neck and head are busted. I considered putting straight bars on and actually bought a converted top yoke to do it. I saw fabio and James on their supermotos and they just seemed so comfortable and fun. Fabios riding position looked amazing, so I bought a little Pegaso.

Started using it and the commute to work was so different. For a while I only rode it. Left the storm sitting. Was loving it, although I wanted something a bit punchier. Anyway a few days ago I rode the pegaso in the morning. Home for a few hours and then took the storm out on a long detour to work. I am telling you this now, I HATED it :cry:

It actually made me a bit sad. It was just depressing. I couldn't wait to get off and didn't want to ride it back home. That was that. I love these bikes but I think that's me done. It really has got me thinking.

Tonight I went to see a KTM 990 Superduke and I can get it in showroom condition with 6k miles for less than 3k. It really is stunning. However, just too much. The position is much better but not perfect and the seat is a little high.

The next option.... A Dorsoduro :lol:
Gonna start a club maybe.
Have one available over here for 2650 and 20k. It's hard to think of a reason not to, aside from literally copying Fabio.

Who knows, I may just do nothing. I'm just not feeling it in the slightest. I do love these bikes, but it is time to move on. That being said I have met some wonderful people and it's not all about the bike, is it? There were only 4 storms on the Scotland meet.

Tell you what I'll keep a cct as a reminder.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: This is the end

Post by Pete.L »

Ha!
I know where you are coming from but with me it’s the SP. absolutely fantastic but only in the right circumstances.
Oh, and I’ve got two firestorm cct in the garage
If you can afford it, I’d say have both.
Have the best of two worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Any bike you ride day to day you get used to the position your body adapts to it...

A long lay off or occasionl use & the body will not be in tune with it.

I ride mine daily & I dont ache after 36 miles in...

Channge van 3 times last week...Connect- Transit- Belingo... alll sorts of aches from the different seating postion...

When I get on me F2, like I will tomorow I know I will ache a bit as the bars are differnt by the end of the weekend I wont notice it...

Its the same with the complaint about the early Storms making your wrists ache...They dont when you get used to it....Custurd the clonker commuter is bog o std re the bars, my wrists despite being feked (right wonkey wrist ) are fine.

Still its your bike, your body, carry on riding whatever & enjoy...

The long version from the album...

Ride the King's Highway, baby...

Oh & lets not forget...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Of the 10k miles I've done on bikes in the last 12 months only 350 were on the Storm. I can't sell it though. Those 350 miles were GREAT! I can't bear the thought of it going somewhere it will be unloved.

But, as is the fashion nowadays, ride a Storm, buy an Aprilia....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I never found my vtr uncomfortable not even on a run to Moto GP in Assen.I sold it because at 73 years old and nearly 60 years in the saddle I just felt it was time to give up motorbikes altogether.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

For me it's the magic of the big Vee twin, it's a job to explain it really. All I can say is, for me when the bike is working hard I feel part of the bike. I have not felt that nowhere near as much with other bikes.
Don't get me wrong there are times when I would fancy a ride-out on a screaming inline four, but those thoughts are rare.

I had to do the flat bar handlebar conversion due to problems with my neck as many of you will remember, but that meant I didn't need to sell the Storm :D

A good point though made by Mac, your body does need to adjust to whatever vehicle you are riding or driving.

You must do what you are most happy with Rob, we are all different :eh:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i have a theory that we are all like "light houses" in that our focus [and what hobby is turning us on], like the light from the lighthouse, will rotate 360 degrees over time, and the only question is how fast or slow that 360 will take place.

as most of you know, I have a few bikes, but I make sure they are all very different, and I can see over the years [from 14 to 57] I have made at least 3 or 4 full circles where I go in and out of love with big roadbikes, or even riding on the road.

I used to love fast road riding, then gave that up and raced a 250 single for 5 yrs, then gave that up and rode enduro and green lane for 5yrs, then I got back into roadbikes when I bough the Storm and that was another 5yrs of joy, then I moved into Trials Riding for 5. then back to big roadbikes, then Pitbike supermoto... you see the picture!¬ [oh and I added road cycling into the mix as well!]

but as I realised it was a continious cycle, there was no point in selling one, as I now know I will end up back there again , so that is why I now have 5 bikes.

point is, when fast road biking is at the center of the lighthouse beam, I would ride all the time, and about 3yrs ago that was the state ... today I can see it waning again, and I have only ridden the Storm for the OP Storm weekends away with the Forum, I don't go out on it in the evening, I don't go out on a quick blast on a Saturday or sunday. ..... I find I would rather go for a ride on my pushbike, or go out on my little Kh125.

But I suspect that StormyRobs lighthouse rotates pretty fast :lol: , so as Pete says, you should keep the storm and get a little supermoto and then in 6months time when you change our focus, you can just get the storm out of the garage :Beer Popcorn:
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:10 pm i have a theory that we are all like "light houses" in that our focus [and what hobby is turning us on], like the light from the lighthouse, will rotate 360 degrees over time, and the only question is how fast or slow that 360 will take place.

as most of you know, I have a few bikes, but I make sure they are all very different, and I can see over the years [from 14 to 57] I have made at least 3 or 4 full circles where I go in and out of love with big roadbikes, or even riding on the road.

I used to love fast road riding, then gave that up and raced a 250 single for 5 yrs, then gave that up and rode enduro and green lane for 5yrs, then I got back into roadbikes when I bough the Storm and that was another 5yrs of joy, then I moved into Trials Riding for 5. then back to big roadbikes, then Pitbike supermoto... you see the picture!¬ [oh and I added road cycling into the mix as well!]

but as I realised it was a continious cycle, there was no point in selling one, as I now know I will end up back there again , so that is why I now have 5 bikes.

point is, when fast road biking is at the center of the lighthouse beam, I would ride all the time, and about 3yrs ago that was the state ... today I can see it waning again, and I have only ridden the Storm for the OP Storm weekends away with the Forum, I don't go out on it in the evening, I don't go out on a quick blast on a Saturday or sunday. ..... I find I would rather go for a ride on my pushbike, or go out on my little Kh125.

But I suspect that StormyRobs lighthouse rotates pretty fast :lol: , so as Pete says, you should keep the storm and get a little supermoto and then in 6months time when you change our focus, you can just get the storm out of the garage :Beer Popcorn:
Well said Al, thats very Yoda... :lol: :Saber:

Question for you does the light house theory work with high heels, slingbacks or comfy pumps in the same way for you ???
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Do you wear backpack when commuting to work? Does big difference in comfort.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Fair points there lads.
I have had torn cartlidge in my left shoulder for 9 years and it's just catching up.

I do wear a backpack to so sitting up is best for me now.

I rode the little Pegaso and it really opened my eyes. I'd never ridden something like that before.

Put a deposit down today on a 12k Miles Dorsoduro. Such a copycat.
She is having clearances done as part of a service now as well as new chain and sprockets. 2011 model and in excellent condition.
Under 3k....which is ridiculous

Have to.

Still a copycat
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

750 or 1200?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:57 pm 750 or 1200?

She is 750 mate.

StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

dont go blaming me for this :eek2 :eek2 :eek2

i started chopping and changing after i bought that blue bike,, i was happy for a while but then realised i had two different storms so old yellow went, twice :eek2 ..

im old and wrinkly iv had to admit to myself and after the year iv had my interest in all things bikes had slipped down the drain,, but thats another story...

so lets pretend i get the blue one fixed, itl get parked and used the odd time just because it is what it is, and having spent 13 odd years racing supermotos i decided maybe that would cure the old bones with being sitty up and spark my interest again in bikes..

so iv kinda the best of both worlds, and the Dorsoduro is giving me more fun than iv had in years on bikes and not at silly speeds which is nice :thumbup:

so the worlds a good biking place once again..

ps, is it time for op scotland yet????????
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:10 pm i have a theory that we are all like "light houses" in that our focus [and what hobby is turning us on], like the light from the lighthouse, will rotate 360 degrees over time, and the only question is how fast or slow that 360 will take place.

Some very valid points there Al :clap:

Chris.