New paddock stands

General Bike chat
jbf955i

New paddock stands

Post by jbf955i »

I have just received front and back paddock stands for JJC race and rally, off Ebay. Only £38.92 for both and the quality seems to be very good. Delivery was 2 days, great.

Time will tell how they hold up, I will feedback.
I wasnt able to this on the correct page, its was saying I didn't have the authority.

Cheers Jason.

Ps the hair dog sat on my chair, is Stanley, our donkeyPoo. Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

freeridenick

Re: New paddock stands

Post by freeridenick »

They're OK for the money. My rear has hooks and is easy enough to use now I have the hang of it. The front is a pain to locate securely. All in all though I can't complain for a quarter of the price of something like Harris stands.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

A number of years ago I paid a little more than that just for my rear Oxford paddock stand, so you can't complain about the price :D

Chris.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

I bought one of those Warrior front stands,I find it a bit fiddly to use as I have to have a few attempts
before it sits right,very handy when its off the ground though.
jbf955i

Post by jbf955i »

There was a hook style for the back stand at the same price. The reason I did go for this was, I can't see/understand where the bobbin would fit.

I used the back stand yesterday and I agree it was a little bit difficult on the first attempt. However, after figuring it out I was confident that it was safe. Years of grime was than remove from the wheel and chain. Lots of effort was put in and I didn't see any movement of the stand at all.

Front stand still to be used.....

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I've tried using the type of front stand you've got, but it didn't seem safe.

In the end got a different type that supports it from under the headstock >

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 74#p314874
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

I have similar and the rear is a breeze once the pads are modified for width. The front is a bit of a faff and I'd agree it's not great but does the job despite the ends bending a fair bit :(
I'd not want to lift anything heavier with them...
Gravelrash

Post by Gravelrash »

I was given front and rear stands by the guy I bought my VTR off but with no grab rail to steady the bike I confess I worry about using them. Anyone got a tip for where to best hold the bike during this balancing act? :roll:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Gravelrash wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:50 pm I was given front and rear stands by the guy I bought my VTR off but with no grab rail to steady the bike I confess I worry about using them. Anyone got a tip for where to best hold the bike during this balancing act? :roll:
Firstly use something under the side stand to level the bike up a bit.

I use a 5'' square of 15mm MDF.

Secondly take the seat off & use the rear part of the subframe to hold on to.

Get the cups under the swing arm, the left side will be incontact, the right side will be just out of touching, as you push down on the stand the bike will level of & Bob's your mothers brother...

Some will say why its on clamp the front brake on to stop it moving forward.

OLNY try getting the front up with the bike on the rear stand & only on level ground.

When you come to getting it off the stand, on the front hold the righthand clip on & hold the brake on, slowly raise the stand & lower the bike.

On the rear what I do is hold the left clip on, put me foot in front of the padock stands wheel, & pull the bike forward holding the rear footrest hanger, I have the side stand down, & as the bike rolls forward the padock stand filps up...

As of yet I haven't smashed a rear light or shatterd a numberplate... :lol: But you could drape a towel or somthing over the rear to cushion the possible blow.

You could also have the bike in gear, hold the clutch in & once the the padock stand is up & the rear wheel is on the ground let the clutch out & the bike wont roll forward.

Set the bike down on it's side stand & jobs a good'un...

Take a few goes to get confident in doing it but after a few trys it won't seem so daunting...

I think the trick is always have one hand on the bike...

Or better still buy an Abba stand...

As for the hook type, some have drilled the swing arm & fitted bobbins. Others have welded a boss under the swing arm & screwd the bobbin into that. Or you can get bobbin/crash bungs that the bar they bolt on to passes through the spindle as its hollow OK for cleaning but no good if you want to take the wheel out... I also found some that just slot in again OK just for cleaning but no good for wheel removal & although I havent tried it both these type would make it difficult to adjust the chain in situ...
Last edited by MacV2 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Gravelrash

Post by Gravelrash »

Thanks for taking the time MacV2. That's awesome :thumbup: