Workshop hourly labour rates

General Bike chat
jchesshyre

Workshop hourly labour rates

Post by jchesshyre »

I never usually get anything other than tyres done by a garage, so I'm completely out of touch with what's a reasonable rate for the labour. However, my steering head bearings and front forks really needed doing and I just don't have the time at the mo to do them myself, so I got my local guy to do them.

I should have asked this before I got the work done but is £240 (4 hrs @ £60) reasonable for changing the steering head bearings and changing the fork oil, seals, and bushes? I supplied all the parts myself.
fabiostar

Re: Workshop hourly labour rates

Post by fabiostar »

that sounds about right for my neck of the woods. iv heard of cheaper but iv heard of a LOT dearer aswell :oops:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Oh good well I'm glad it at least seems in the right ball park! Thanks. I just wanted to get it done and I fully trust the guy mechanically, but just haven't a clue about prices. I also never know if you're meant to haggle in these situations... I did also end up asking him to fit a rear tyre which I had ready (was going to wait another maybe 500 miles but I'd just got a slow puncture so thought screw it) and he only added an extra tenner for doing that.

Overall it's a good reminder (to my wife, I was keen to point out, as well as myself) as to why I sometimes spend a half or whole weekend day out in the garage working on the bike myself...apart from the fact that I love doing it.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:59 pm that sounds about right for my neck of the woods. iv heard of cheaper but iv heard of a LOT dearer aswell :oops:
I agree with that too,

Chris.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

A bit late to the party, but I've been absent due to selling my 1999 Storm. Presently bidding on another. Guess there's a certain attraction to the V-Twin.

Anyway, visited my local Honda dealer earlier this week and was told the labour rate had increased to £110.00 per hour. I was so shocked I foolishly forgot to ask whether that included VAT. I should hope it would.

Fortunately, I have a good independent which charged £55.00 per hour so £60 is right on the money.