Warning !

General Bike chat
kenmoore

Warning !

Post by kenmoore »

Just thought that I would post a warning to those with a braced Swing Arm that have used the original Fireblade brace.

I went to get a new set of tyres fitted today and they were Metzeler M5 Interact Sports.

Because of the profile they hit the brace .

I ended up with some Pirelli Angel GT 11 and they just clear the brace.

I am curios what tyres those with braced swing arms use .

I have fitted Bridgestone S21, T30, Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa, Rosso, Dunlop Sportmax in a multitude of varieties , various Michelin and now the Angel GT 11 s.

First impression is that the turn in on the Angels is slower than the Dunlop that I got 13,000 Klms from.

Curious to see what works for those with a brace, bearing in mind that I am after mileage as I am commuting on the bike at the mo.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Warning !

Post by sirch345 »

8O that's the first time I have heard of that happening.

Is it the sides of the tyre (at the very widest point) that touched the brace, or the the actual tread itself as in the diameter of the tyre must be bigger than what you normally use :?:

If you're running a bigger rear sprocket than the standard 41 tooth, that would mean the wheel is further forward in the swingarm, so may not be helping :eh:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Dunlop qualifiers in mine have proved ok :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

In my opinion... there shouldn't be any issue with any tyres as long as they are the correct size for the bike.. Going on past experience I would say it's a poorly fitted brace.. ie the the brace wasn't lined up with all other components in place.. A mate of mine bought a braced swing arm off a facebook page member a few years ago.. the chap had built one for his bike and then made a few to sell on.. I fitted the swingarm and at first there were no apparent problems.. move on a year or so and I built a braced arm for my bike.. at the time we were trying to find a hugger that would fit my mates bike but everything we tried fouled against the tyre.. out of curiosity I tried the hugger on my bike and with just a little bit of effort it would fit my bike.. that prompted me into taking measurements and having a closer look.. The outcome was I had an inch more space between the tyre and brace when compared to my mates set up. That all said.. neither of us had any issues with the tyre rubbing the brace so that's the best conclusion I can come up with.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Have had 2 huggers fitted over the years ,

I have 16/ 42 gearing that shortens the wheelbase and that coupled with the profile of the tyre caused it to hit the brace.

Just something to take into account !

Cheers
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia