Shiver....

General Bike chat
Mav617

Shiver....

Post by Mav617 »

So, my fellow V-twin aficionados, having spent the last few months commuting daily on the trusty F650CS, with the weather warming slowly I have decided to splash out on a companion for the stable. I'll keep the BM as it costs peanuts to run, is rock solid reliable and good for a commuter with the belt drive. BUT, I need some real fun and I miss the Vee so my choices were a SV650 or MT07 (not a V admittedly but a 270 firing order like my TRX850s) or more exotic, so am thinking the Aprillia 750 Shiver (post 2011) - any opinions or horror stories you guys can share?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
KermitLeFrog

Re: Shiver....

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I've not ridden the Shiver 750 but I have ridden the Dorsoduro 750 (Fabio's) and an SV650. From the owner of a V4 Aprilia I hate to say but I preferred the SV650.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thanks KLF, I'll probably end up with an SV but still fancy an Italian! Had 660s (SZR, MT03) and 650s (the BM) and 850s (TRX x 2) and litre bikes (2 x VTR, 1 x SV1000) but never a 750 and find it strangely appealing :think:
Last edited by Mav617 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Or the KTM 790.....
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

The Aprilias are lovely bikes. Top notch components, they look really good as well. The SV looks and is built down to a price and it shows. They are cheap. However, the SV engine is a peach.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Went down P&H this morning and sat on the KTM and the SV650X - like both but am probably going for the SV after all given they have an ex-demo with very few miles for £5300 :beer:
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Try MT07 first fantastic bike and confident you won’t be disappointed. Tried a shiver didn’t get on with it at all, got on the MT and clicked straight away it stuck like glue around first round about had it almost 3 years and wish I still had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had done of those bikes that clicked straight away, but all it took was a new battery and a clean of the terminals on the Reg Rec and away we went.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Are you guys in the UK seeing last years Vitpilens going exceptionally cheap lately?
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

VTRsquid wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:01 am Are you guys in the UK seeing last years Vitpilens going exceptionally cheap lately?
Not noticed but I'll be looking now. I kinda liked the oddball looks.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i have the dorsoduro version of the shiver and its great craic to ride. they have little things you need to sort to rid the italian outa them electrics wise but once sorted they are fun. engines are bombproof being Rotax units.

check out those vitpilens tho. they are going cheap at the min and they can hold there own on the right road with anything. i learned that after chasing one,or trying to round Scotland :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:24 am i have the dorsoduro version of the shiver and its great craic to ride. they have little things you need to sort to rid the italian outa them electrics wise but once sorted they are fun. engines are bombproof being Rotax units.

check out those vitpilens tho. they are going cheap at the min and they can hold there own on the right road with anything. i learned that after chasing one,or trying to round Scotland :eek2
Until you get to a straight bit, that is...but to be fair, there aren't many of those
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

So, I put a deposit on a brand new MT-07 in Yamaha Blue today - pick it up next week! :thumbup:
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Very nice Sir,
They are cracking bikes, bit soft at the back but easily sorted.
Get a good deal then?
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Hi Grumpy,

I did, then called them today and switched it to an XSR700 having had an offer from another dealer on one. I preferred the XSR but didn;t think I could afford it, Tinklers in Norwich made me an offer and P&H matched it so an XSR700 2020 in white/red with gold wheels is now what I am buying!