Home made flow bench

General Bike chat
Stephan

Re: Home made flow bench

Post by Stephan »

Ace VenTRa wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:22 pm You are correct, however, the ex cams really don't have any more lift. At least not the 3 sets I've measured. They have .405" of lobe lift on both the exhaust and intake. I have not yet verified the timing events yet though. Either way, "gain" is relative, if you move the power to where you more use it, it will be a tremendous gain for you. A wider LSA may be your thing, a bit of advance, a bit of retard...take your pick and give it a go.

AV
Stock Intake cams have more lift, 0.15 mm if I remember correctly, taken just from cam profile: width substracted from height.

That is why swapping EX cams to intake (myth from the past) made absolutely no sense :)
Ace VenTRa

Re: Home made flow bench

Post by Ace VenTRa »

Nope, they don't. Both are the same. I misspoke earlier, the lobe lift is actually .409". Depending on lash you will have less than that installed when at operating temperature. Also of note...take a look at the Mori1 cam specs, you'll see that they reduced the lift on the exhaust lobe in order to change timing events and increase duration. Just another clue that the lift we have is more than plenty and that we will only see gains from duration and timing events. Another clue that duration is pretty much ideal for a street bike is that on the Mori, Yosh and Kent they used less advance, that suggests they could have used a bit less duration with no ill effects. OEM will probably run perfect with a little advance, suggesting that we could use a tad more duration.

AV