Aprilia SL Falco thoughts

General Bike chat
freeridenick

Aprilia SL Falco thoughts

Post by freeridenick »

Not the best forum for this question but the law of averages says some folks on here will have knowledge and advice about these.

There's one near me with 12k miles and looks pretty clean for less than £1700. Looks like a tidy bike that's been looked after but is it worth looking at further?
Dickiebig

Re: Aprilia SL Falco thoughts

Post by Dickiebig »

My mate has had one for about 14 years now showing approx 40k. He reckons it goes and handless well. He would, he is always in front of me but I am slow!!! His only issue, of any note, came on OP Storm Scotland, it wouldn't start but a quick jump and it was fine At that price it sounds a bargin
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

thay seem to be an Italian firestorm, kinda in the same place in the market. :thumbup: .

just remember ,they are italian, take from that what you will lol... :lol: i love my Italian and hate it at time in equal measures lol.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

My friend has nearly 40k on his and no hassel. So in comparison to somebody's, now who could that be, firestorm it's extremely reliable. Generally better running gear, cracking engine and a less aggressive riding position. My friend will probably sell it this year as the riding position is becoming uncomfortable, but he has also just bought a SuperDuke!!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Keep us posted if you take the plunge; always loved these bikes :)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Richard, your mates bike was a stunner, minus the starting issue.
I'd love a shot of 1 to see how different to the storm they are.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Throw one of these in there: https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts ... oduct=4596

and prepare to be perma-grinned!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Not my mates bike but pretty close
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Missed it. I got the end time wrong in my head. Might contact the buyer anyway but it seems a bit too good to be true: RSV rear end swap but original parts included, plus two RSV engines!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2973998986
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

My friend has done the RSV swinging arm and shock thing. Other than changing the end cans it's stock. Falcos have smaller valves than the RSV and a less aggressive riding position. Listed at 118 bhp I believe but is pretty quick mid range
popkat

Post by popkat »

The Plastic fuel tanks expand due to the ethanol and can be difficult to get back on as the mounts won't line up, RSV suffers the same, had an RSV where the tank was more than half inch too long once it was removed and impossible to fit it back on, luckily the owner had a spare tank that had sat unused since nearly new, we looked up a new tank and it was over £1k.

I can't remember if the Falco has a plastic tank but i would guess it has as all Aprilia's seem to have them.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Richard wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:41 pm My friend has done the RSV swinging arm and shock thing. Other than changing the end cans it's stock. Falcos have smaller valves than the RSV and a less aggressive riding position. Listed at 118 bhp I believe but is pretty quick mid range
118 bhp is on engine, not rear wheel. Falco has similar power to vtr.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I've had two of them over the years.

Fantastic bikes with excellent build quality apart from the charging system. You can see the modifications I did to my on the follwing gallery - https://www.aberdeenbikers.co.uk/galler ... hp?album=1

As long as the electrical system is sorteed you shoulnd't have any issues with the sprag clutch.

I also fitted slightly higher adjustable bars. My last on had re-valved front fork springs and an Ohlins rear shock.

I only got rid of it as it was too fast for me!

Ethanol in the fuel is an issue with them as they have a plastic tank that swells (that will get worse as they introduce E10 in this country). The swelling of the tank can cause the fuel pump to leak as well as making it a nighmare to get the tank back on (if you are refitting the tank then fit the front bolts first and then you can gently persuade the rear into position.

Allegidly then tanks shring back over time if they have no fuel in them so I managed to source a 2nd hand one on ebay as a spare but didn't get round to proving that.

Hope that helps.

Al.