ET/HP

General Bike chat
Ace VenTRa

ET/HP

Post by Ace VenTRa »

ET/HP
Ok, so...after many a discussion about the so called 200hp factory bikes and how fast they are and all that I decided to put together some times and numbers in a chart. Background: What fueled this primarily is a coworker that insists his 06 CBR made 185 hp and out ran busa's, zx's and Gsxrs alike.

No dyno sheets, no time slips, no nothing. On top of that there are many insisting that working a bike like ours, which is aging and low on power by comparison, is a waste of time because any new bike can make 200 hp out of the box. Now, having actually launched a bike or two at a set of trees, I know how hard it is to hook up even with 100 hp. Also, having spent time on a dyno I know that most bikes are way off their claims and having studied trap speeds from LSR events, the same holds true for factory top speed claims. You know, the gixxer boy that insists on 185 mph runs on the highway, yeah, he's wrong.

Anyway what I have found is that without rider aids such as traction and wheelie control, none of the modern bikes will put down a respectable time at all when power to weight ratio is factored in. Also of note, the mythical HP #'s being thrown around are usually crank HP numbers; the dyno shows far less and it shows that real world numbers are achieved only above 3rd gear. From 1st through 3rd the ecm is limiting power dramatically, otherwise the bikes would be uncontrollable.

At the end of the list I put the RC and VTR #'s for a comparison. I scaled down the #'s for better overlay. For the record all data is for 2017 model year unless it was unavailable. VTR is from actual VTR riders with some track experience and slipon/jet kit type mods. RC is stock as tested by cycle world.

The range is from a 9.80 to a 10.55, with a mean et of 10.24 and a median of 10.27. From a low et of 9.80 to the highest of 10.55 the difference is .75 seconds, which, in drag racing, is an eternity but on the road for the average rider up top 130 mph or so means that a VTR can hang with an s1000rr in normal riding conditions. If we exclude the bimmer, the gap closes quickly leaving only a half second between us and the H2. If I could confirm track times with no rider aides I think the gap would narrow even more simply because there is only so much power that can be put to the ground on a 180 section rear tire and that tire can only propel 700 or so lbs so fast. To support this claim I refer to the graph below which shows a distinct power increase and no real et increase. If we add 600's, 750's, more v-twins and v4's, it holds true but dammit I'm tired of data mining.

The red bar is ET and the Green is HP/10.

ethp chart.png
VTRsquid

Re: ET/HP

Post by VTRsquid »

You forgot to include p3nis size in that graph. I'm pretty sure you will find some kind of inverse relationship there.
Jokes aside though, these bikes arnt really designed for drag racing, do the trap speeds* represent as they should?

edit. trap times? trap speeds.
Last edited by VTRsquid on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ace VenTRa

Re: ET/HP

Post by Ace VenTRa »

Yeah, I tried fitting johnsons in there too but they went right off the chart.

I know that drag racing isn't really the thing but it is one of the few measured things out there and I only intend it as a comparison for acceleration in relation to weight/power/whatevs. I suppose I'm saying that the V is just fine for just about everything and trying to make it to the 150+ hp mark is kind of futile and unnecessary because even if you did have it, you likely couldn't use it. 125 naturally aspirated HP and a true 70lbft at the rear wheel with no rider aid at all can be a real hand full to manage. I'm guessing that I'm at 115/68 right now and it's bordering on holy fu**** sh** fast to the point that I actually have to pay attention at WOT. Another 10hp and 2 lbft would be just fine and dandy on my most spirited day. Another 75 and 15 respectively would be absurd, fun, but absurd.

And I like making charts with data...

AV