Fuel consumption.

General Bike chat
Pezed

Fuel consumption.

Post by Pezed »

New tyres fitted yesterday, Roadsmart 2's, so went for a blast this morning to scrub them in and appraise. Ok, so I wasn't hanging around, out to lands end and round and about, but I got 71 miles from the tank filler bar to the red light!!!! 🙀🙀🙀
Shan't be doing that too often.

Tyres are great, but we'll see how many miles they rack up.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
MacV2

Re: Fuel consumption.

Post by MacV2 »

Try filling it fully, you might get more miles to a tank...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

I don't think that the extra cupful or half litre, -whatever it is-, from that bar to brimming is going to make much difference when 15 plus litres only got me 71 miles. The problem is that I was ragging it for pretty much each of those 71 miles I reckon.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Pezed wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:48 pm I don't think that the extra cupful or half litre, -whatever it is-, from that bar to brimming is going to make much difference when 15 plus litres only got me 71 miles. The problem is that I was ragging it for pretty much each of those 71 miles I reckon.
Ha,welcome to the thirsty club......try going slower......yea right :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, if you're that quick I will enjoy trying to keep up with you when you come on the forum meets when we restart.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

Hmmm, just re-read my post and can't see any reference to racing, challenges, testosterone fuelled boasting about how my bike is faster than yours, or, I can get my knee down around any bend etc etc, guess I must have missed something, or did you just fill in some gaps that weren't there perhaps? I'm sure that you can find some similar minded guys to yourself that live a lot closer to you. When we are all allowed outside to play again, it might be worth looking them up, because I don't intend racing with you, nor anybody else for that matter, but I hope that you collectively enjoy yourselves if that's what floats your boat.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

somethings not just right, iv had more miles out of a tank at trackdays :confused :confused
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

There is a big difference filling the bike when upright than when it's on the sidestand. On the sidestand to the filler neck is at least 1.5 litres less than brimming it upright.
Last edited by KermitLeFrog on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

And ignore Tony. He's the forum knob (but we love him all the same).
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

like said above … except by Tony ….. that is too low [even if you are full throttle :D ].

so fill when fully upright is a start, but you might want to check the jetting, and air filter, only time away from a track day that I got close to that was when I put the std cans & filter back on when it was jetted for open pipes and BMC filter.
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

and to be fair to Tony, he would have to cheat to win :lol:
AMcQ
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

Yes, I think that you guys are right, that is way too low. So, I have this avo refilled the tank, reset the trip, and put 4litres in a green can for my backpack. I intend to ride normally, and run it dry, see what's what. I figure that's the way ahead. I'm hoping that maybe my warning light is misbehaving somehow, or just needs setting up properly perhaps?

Apart from varatracker's awesome build, has anybody gone down the single carb route with any success?
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

Ref filling upright or on the stand, it doesn't really matter so long as you always do it the same way, then your numbers will be consistent. I always fill on the stand to the level of the nozzle restrictor bar, easiest for me.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Pezed wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:45 pm Ref filling upright or on the stand, it doesn't really matter so long as you always do it the same way, then your numbers will be consistent. I always fill on the stand to the level of the nozzle restrictor bar, easiest for me.
correct if you are calculating mpg, but if you are measuring the tank range and comparing it the rest of us, then it wont be apples vs apples.

firestorm owners soon learn to fill up while sitting on the bike to make sure it is upright for max fill, set the trip meter every time, and look for petrol station when the trip gets to 90 miles
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Just so you know. I commute on mine so I'm a regular at the filling station... :lol:

So yesterday when I filled up, cant remember exactly but trip was 100miles +. Sitting on bike I filled it to the bar was just covered. Looked at the pump. a smidge just under 12ltrs*. Filled it up to brim 13.04. So a full extra ltr. Obvs there are some differences as A/ the bikes upright. B/I covered the bar, I dont know if you did that.

So it's not an extra 1/2 ltr or cupfull but a full ltr...

*Yes I know plenty left in the tank, I might just get home on that but the 6+ mile push to the nearest fule from me front door is a bit much, so I just fill up every 3rd run in/home... highest ive seen with the light on was 124 I was waiting for the cough..brrrrr clunk but made it to a pump... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...