Getting bike running after 2 years?

General Bike chat
Miztaziggy

Re: Getting bike running after 2 years?

Post by Miztaziggy »

MacV2 wrote:
Miztaziggy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:40 pm

And this looks wrongly put back together - easy to rotate it back to normal so the vacuum hose spiggot faces the right way
Thanks Wicky, that pic confirms my pipe is missing.... there's only 2 coming down through frame, one to coolant and 1 to tank.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Which one is missing The thin pipe to the thin spigot is a breather, the fatter pipe is the fule overflow, more important IMO, if you splosh some fule when refilling, without that pipe as Wicky says it can splosh down over the rear header...not good...

Let me know I have some spare in stock...[/quote]Thanks Mac

I have the thin vac line going to the t piece and the carbs and a fat pipe on the overflow.

Basically there's pipes on vac, f1, f2 and B but nothing on A, the thinner one of the 2

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ok thats good to hear, next time I'm that deep into the MacCave I'll have a route around & see If I have one & get back to you...

As said the thin one is just a breather pipe. Normaly there is a little stub of hose but it has a white plastic connector on it that the rest of the pipe fits onto...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
PeteF

Post by PeteF »

That is how it should be. Petrol should only flow once a vacuum is applied to the outlet spigot shown by the red allow in Mac's photo.
If you put a short length of hose on that outlet and suck on it manually petrol should flow and stop when you stop sucking. That will show it's working as it should do,
I am in a similar situation, but it's been probably 3 or 4 years since it last ran and it's been in bits since, having Ade Whitmarsh's CCT's fitted etc. Problem I have is no fuel at all when sucking on the vacuum tube. I have tried the fuel tap at both extremes (and half way in between out of desperation). Yesterday whilst trying to figure out why it wouldn't fire up, I heard a definite "clunk" from the tap when I sucked on the vacuum tube, and I got some fuel, out of 1 pipe at least. Now nothing. David Silva has a genuine Honda new one for £282 so that's not going to happen anytime soon. I can't figure out how to even drain the tank now so I can dismantle the tap and see if the filter is blocked, or the diaphragm is stuck or something. I know there are no serviceable parts. I don't much fancy undoing the filler cap and turning it upside down :(

Also, why is the vent/breather pipe 18" longer than the drain/overflow pipe? The diagram that Wicky posted earlier seems to show it taking a rather devious and different route to the overflow/drain, even though they end up in the same place - is that correct? Any ideas why?

Thanks for any help...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

"I can't figure out how to even drain the tank"

Put the tank on a bench - get a hose and a container/s lower than the tank to transfer the old fuel into to dispose of.

Put hose in tank then put finger over hose end and lower down to the container and let your finger go and let gravity do the dirty work.

Then check the fuel tap diaphragm, corrosion in the tank (if not stored full), and probably you'll still need to take the carbs apart to throughly clean.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
PeteF

Post by PeteF »

Thanks Wicky, excellent tip.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

So finally finished with the bike. Can't wait to ride it again.

MOT and new tyres fitted all booked for next Tuesday. Fingers crossed it passes without issues. Indicators and lights all work so can't imagine there'll be much else it'll fail on.

Anyone got any thing planned ride wise in Yorkshire any time soon?