SP 2 thoughts and opinions

General Bike chat
RAINMAKER

SP 2 thoughts and opinions

Post by RAINMAKER »

Can anyone who has, or has had a SP2 tell me what they are like. good and bad, just cant stop looking at them and wondering if its time for a new toy?
it may be clever, but its not big.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: SP 2 thoughts and opinions

Post by Pete.L »

Tiny, cramped, horrible around town
But then you get out on the open road and they are one of the most lovely things in the world. :thumbup:
Definitely not an everyday bike, even though I did use mine like that for several years. :wink:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Ooh, right up my alley! :D

I have a 2002 model SP-2 as well as my 1998 Storm. The term 'chalk and cheese' comes to mind for everything other than their being a V-twin.

As Pete.L says above, yes, they are ergonomically cramped - especially compared to the Storm, but also a tight fight compared to the more modern post 2008 Blades. For a direct comparison, if you haven't tried one, they feel EXACTLY the same as the new 2020 RR-R Fireblade. I mention this from my own perspective of being 5'9".

BUT, do we buy these bikes for comfort? Hell no!! I wouldn't agree that they're 'horrible around town'; but concede I wouldn't want to spend too long in stop-start traffic. Very high first gear, so a tad 'clutchy' to get off the mark. Fully agree though that the open road presents a different experience. Slightly different power curve than the Storms, but still with the low down snap on power. The narrower clip ons take some adapting to, but once accustomed the bike is a truly sweet handler. I am glad I bought one and for me it is a keeper!

Price-wise, there's a big diff between lowest and highest. Some dealers are asking ridiculous money, but people are still buying them. That suggests that we can be assured of keeping a good resale value. Beware that there are a few USA 'barn finds' creeping in to UK by various 'entrepreneurs'. These carry the designation 'RVT' as opposed to our 'VTR'. Nothing necessarily wrong with these bikes, but just a point to consider because history checking becomes much more difficult and the prospect of unverified mileage could be a problem.

In summary, they are a magnificent machine and one that holds good 'bragging rights'. Will last a lifetime with very little expenditure needed along the way.
Attachments
20200115_125957.jpg
200115 4.jpg
200115 3.jpg
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Thanks.............pretty much what I thought. But it is just a nice weather toy for me, and well looks incredible. It will be my last ever bike so why not.........................now just have to tell my wife :Argue 1:
it may be clever, but its not big.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

RAINMAKER wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:27 pm . . . It will be my last ever bike so why not . . .
Erm, no such thing as 'last ever bike'!! :biggrin :thumbup:
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

nigelrb wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:04 pm
RAINMAKER wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:27 pm . . . It will be my last ever bike so why not . . .
Erm, no such thing as 'last ever bike'!! :biggrin :thumbup:
Absolutely, always stay positive and never say never.

Now if it were woman I could understand or just stick to the real thing, baaaaaaa
Why do you think the Welsh and Scottish OP storms are so popular. Also you'll notice the others are pretty much focused on sheep country!!!!
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Richard wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:53 pm
Why do you think the Welsh and Scottish OP storms are so popular. Also you'll notice the others are pretty much focused on sheep country!!!!
Gee, I might be up for some action. I'm fairly close to the border!! 8) :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

On the right roads (fast sweepers, smooth grippy corners) they are a thing of wonder and beauty.
I ran one as my daily ride and only bike for four years.
However they can feel hard work on roads with a poor surface, even when the suspension has been sorted out.
I found it comfortable, but tried three sets of clip ones before I managed to get a set to sit 20mm higher than standard- as I got neck ache trying to look up past the top edge of my helmet aperture, especially trying to look up at traffic lights when at the front of the queue.
I'm 5 foot 10, and in my sixties.

Even though they're exquisitely made (it's an HRC bike and it shows throughout) there are a few things that can improve them.
They were quite expensive when new, but even so, they were made to a price.
For example, there's no slipper clutch, and it needs one if ridden hard.
I fitted a Sigma.

Also the rear shock goes off around 20k, but can be rebuilt, and it feels great when done, especially when you have it shimmed and a spring fitted for your weight.

A lot of people want a completely standard bike, and if also low mileage, they fetch top prices and will continue to increase in value.

I prefer to make a bike my own, tailor it to my own particular predelictions, so mine has a 2 into 1 Titanium Arrows can (lots lighter than STD), lots of ti and carbon, Harris rearsets and other Harris toys, a Domino QA twistgrip, Brembo RCS19 master cylinder, etc, etc.
You never get the money back for upgraded parts, but I fitted them because they made a good bike even better, not as an investment.

Lastly, don't worry about mileage.
They are cheaper with over 20k on the clocks, but the engines will handle big miles and not show it at all- no smoke, no oil use, no rumbles or rattles with 50k on.

In a nutshell? They are a near perfect bike on the right bit of road or track, and punch above their weight.
You won't regret buying one, but you won't choose it for the commute, although it will put up with it if you do.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.