so, here's the thing

General Bike chat
haynesjones66

so, here's the thing

Post by haynesjones66 »

i sold my storm a while ago because of the riding position being a bit 'wrapped around the tank'. i then got myself a cbr600f4i which is a lot more comfortable and flickable. problem is, it's so slow compared to the storm and so revvy, it's annoying. the obvs thing is to trade it in for maybe a 954 blade but i'm still unsure if thats the best move. a storm engine in a cbr chassis would be cool!! i'm still wondering if dropped pegs and higher bars on another storm would get me closer to a cbr seating position. i have to stick with clip ons because straight bars dont agree with my dodgy hip. any thoughts?
Wicky

Re: so, here's the thing

Post by Wicky »

Use this - to compare bikes and modify the ergonomics using the options

http://cycle-ergo.com

Get a transalp - comfy as an arm chair, slippers & pipe - N02 optional :-)

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Varadero

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

thats really clever. to get close to cbr, it needs a biggish peg drop though, and raised bars, but not far off. im not sure if a big peg drop is possible on the storm as the pipes are in the way
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

You caan drop an inch with a comfort kit adjusters - though rear brake needs a bit of foot lifting to apply. Gear lever can be adjusted to suit.

StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

had all 3. Suggestions.

Get used to thrashing the nuts off the 600 every where you go.. they love it
Work on your back and stomach muscle strength. This really helps take the load of your wrists

Not done many miles on my blade but first impressions ... probably not going to solve your problem

Also had a blackbird... great on the move above 30 mph .. really bad for me about town ..
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Done the lowering kit, 40mm, and initially I thought I had cracked it. But have now gone back to standard pegs with ultra low bars
Bit worried but 200 plus miles yesterday and I managed better than I expected. Bit crock on getting off but up and about pretty much ok this morning.
You will just have to play around and whatever you go for accept the compromise.
There is always a compromise. So my wife tells me, frequently!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Being a leggy chap, I had hours of fun on cycle ergo!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jamie :wave:
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

I'm all for adapting to different bikes. Rather than adjust geometry, unless one has severe agility impairments, I think we can quickly accustom ourselves to different riding positions AND be comfortable. Just throwing this in the ring! :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

comfort isnt an issue with the cbr. in fact it's spot on and suits my riding style which is why i'm drawn to the blade. i was told the 954 seating position is very similar to the 600. i guess i just miss the grunt of the storm.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

i used to commute on a 600F3 and it was a great little bike. My current F3 is a dedicated track bike so difficult to compare directly to my 2001 blade.
in addition i have not done major miles on the blade.

What i have notice about the blade is the elbow stop is insufficient and it feels like you are going to end up down a superman when hard on the gas
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

might be best to try out a blade first, methinks. budget bikes in swindon are looking out for one for me. great old school bike shop, by the way. well worth a visit.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:00 pm Use this - to compare bikes and modify the ergonomics using the options

http://cycle-ergo.com

Get a transalp - comfy as an arm chair, slippers & pipe - N02 optional :-)

I've not come across cycle-ergo.com before, cheers for posting the link Wicky :thumbup:

Chris.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

StuartWags wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:41 am had all 3. Suggestions.

Get used to thrashing the nuts off the 600 every where you go.. they love it
Work on your back and stomach muscle strength. This really helps take the load of your wrists.
Any particular exercises for the back you would recommend?
I do 80 sit-ups everyday along with full body weight training but do t really have anything to strengthen the back unless Romanian dead lifts count.

I'm new to the 'Storm and read that using your legs on the tank and core will make it easier on the wrists.
Thanks.
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆