Oxford OX621 sequential LED indicators

General Bike chat
JazzmasterJ

Oxford OX621 sequential LED indicators

Post by JazzmasterJ »

Had a good rummage but couldn’t find an answer simple enough for me (although I’m sure there’s one in the archives somewhere so forgive me). I fancy fitting these to my storm:

Oxford-UK OX621 Sequential Streaming Motorcycle Indicators. Flowing turn signal (pair)

Will I need to purchase adapters additionally?

Anyone with experience with these too I’d gratefully receive your feedback.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MacV2

Re: Oxford OX621 sequential LED indicators

Post by MacV2 »

When you say adapters do you mean to fit them to the bike ?

If so no but the fronts will just be in a big hole in the fairing, nowt you can do about that really.

Or do you mean a different flasher relay ?

If so then probably yes as with the standard relay the will more than likley flash too fast.

Not sure about these sequential ones but with LED ones I've fitted in the past a diffrent relay was required...

You will need the Honda 3 pin relay... Like this one it's got the correct conection block on it so plug & play...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Indicato ... SwZ-Reefpy
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:22 am When you say adapters do you mean to fit them to the bike ?

If so no but the fronts will just be in a big hole in the fairing, nowt you can do about that really.

If so then probably yes as with the standard relay the will more than likley flash too fast.

Not sure about these sequential ones but with LED ones I've fitted in the past a diffrent relay was required...

You will need :lol: :thumbup: the Honda 3 pin relay... Like this one it's got the correct conection block on it so plug & play...

So if you're running incandescent lamps for the front turn signals and led signals for the rear you'll still need an led relay flasher?
I thought the load presented by the front incandescent lamps will keep the OEM relay flashing at a normal rate?
I hadn't planned on adding an led flasher as the above is how I'm setting up the bike on the turn signals.

I did look at the relay in the link you provided and it doesn't look anything like the one on my 'Hawk. :eh:
I guess this'll be another thing I'll have to look at when I get home in about 3 weeks or so.
Thanks for the brain prodding on this topic.
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆
JazzmasterJ

Post by JazzmasterJ »

MacV2 wrote:When you say adapters do you mean to fit them to the bike ?

You will need the Honda 3 pin relay... Like this one it's got the correct conection block on it so plug & play...

That’s exactly what I was thinking Mac thanks - so I’ll get one of those three pin relays too. I might as well go ahead and do the ones at the front to match otherwise it’ll drive me mad! It is Christmas after all...
Amazon recommends some universal spacers which are commonly bought with them, which I assume are to cover up the void otherwise created.

Part of my confusion was the whole resistors vs relays thing. It says in the box that there are two resistors included with the pair of indicators. Does this mean that I still need the 3 pin relay too?

Thanks

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

JazzmasterJ wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:30 am
MacV2 wrote:When you say adapters do you mean to fit them to the bike ?

That’s exactly what I was thinking Mac thanks - so I’ll get one of those three pin relays too. I might as well go ahead and do the ones at the front to match otherwise it’ll drive me mad! It is Christmas after all...
Amazon recommends some universal spacers which are commonly bought with them, which I assume are to cover up the void otherwise created.

Part of my confusion was the whole resistors vs relays thing. It says in the box that there are two resistors included with the pair of indicators. Does this mean that I still need the 3 pin relay too?

Thanks

No if they come with resistors they do what the relay does. You wire them inline with each Indi. In theory it would mean you could have LED s at one end & bulbs at the other.

Re the spaces they are probably to space out the front ones to stick far enough out of the fairing... TBH when you fit them as long as you have the rubber grommet thing that goes round the hole they dont look too bad...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Also, just to clear things up, most motorcycle LED relays only have 2 leads. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
JazzmasterJ

Post by JazzmasterJ »

OK, so I finally got round to buying and installing.
They look great, and seem to very good quality, however...

The flash rate is too fast for the full LED sequence to complete (they are sequential indies). This is even with the resistors installed. When I installed one (rear left) and checked to see if it worked, with the others still OEM and attached, it worked no problem.

This seems to suggest that either the resistance offered by the resistors is not enough (?) OR I’ve done something wrong (very possible). Although the instructions were clear and bullet connectors all seemed to connect without issue...

Could it be that if one of the relays were faulty it would scupper the whole lot?

Any suggestions very welcome. I’ve sent Oxford an email but suppose they might not get back til new year.

Cheers

*braced for a schooling*

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Pay attention at the Back young Jazz ! Too busy drumming on your desk again...

Ok try removing the resistors. If it worked with just one plugged in the relay you have may be ok.

I would disconect the indis remove the resistors. plug the indis back in & try that. If the speed is still too fast then add 1 resistor back in & see if that makes a diffrence. It could be that only one resistor is required per side. I'd start at the back as thats easier to do.

Then hand your homework in when compleat...

Mr Mac head of Slouching & Biscuits.
JazzmasterJ

Post by JazzmasterJ »

Sorry mister Maaaaaaac. Thanks will do - it’ll be on your desk tomorrow.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

JazzmasterJ wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:15 pm Sorry mister Maaaaaaac. Thanks will do - it’ll be on your desk tomorrow.

It had better be, none of this 'My dog ate my homework' malarky...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Lesson update.

If the previous lesson turns out to be compleat bolax...

You may require one of these adjustable relays.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-3Pin-Mot ... SwQ7pdX5FY

There are loads on e bay this one has some leads with it as none of them are plug & play so some rewiring is gona be needed.

Yes it's from china but I bet if you buy one thats says its UK it will be priced a bit higher & still come from china... :lol: :lol:

I would be testing it before cutting any wires tho.
JazzmasterJ

Post by JazzmasterJ »

Ahem so... followed instructions as given... then it occurred to me that I hand not yet tried the indicators with the engine turning over, just with the ignition on... fire her up and the indies work just fine with the resistors... except for the one I broke (ordered a new one).

What do I get for this assignment, teach? Did I do good?

Hopefully the last fark up of 2020!

Happy New Year

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

C- at best. Schoolboy error.

2 weeks detention.

1000 lines. ' I must give my Storm more loving & Mr Mac is best.'
JazzmasterJ

Post by JazzmasterJ »

Right, they’re on, they work and I think they look good. The rear ones sit well clear of the hi rise pipes. Now the issue I have is that the front ones are too obscured by the fairing for my liking. I purchased some spacers which have worked nicely for the back ones, but what I need is a spacer/plate for the front ones so that I can mount them on to the outside surface of the fairing. (The ones I purchased were too small for this purpose).

Could someone point me in the right direction please? Ta.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

JazzmasterJ wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:18 pm Right, they’re on, they work and I think they look good. The rear ones sit well clear of the hi rise pipes. Now the issue I have is that the front ones are too obscured by the fairing for my liking. I purchased some spacers which have worked nicely for the back ones, but what I need is a spacer/plate for the front ones so that I can mount them on to the outside surface of the fairing. (The ones I purchased were too small for this purpose).

Could someone point me in the right direction please? Ta.

Depending on how long the threaded part is on the new indi put a bolt on it & wind it all the way in then fit the the indi to the inner panel...

Other than that get some thin plate ally, drill a hole for the indi stem. Glue the plate on to the inside then fit the indi.

Not sure if you'll find anything made for the job...