Anyone handy with a lathe?

General Bike chat
Jamoi

Anyone handy with a lathe?

Post by Jamoi »

Hi all, finally had the time to get some work done on my bike today, but came across a slight issue with my clutch lever push rod.

There's a notable amount of free play before the clutch lever push rod starts to move the piston in the clutch lever master cylinder, it's as if the push rod is too short by 2mm...

Would anyone be able to copy this pushrod pictured below, but with an extra 2mm length?

I've considered filling down the threads of a bolt, but I'm not sure what material it should be made from, I guess it needs to be quite hard?

I had also considered drilling and tapping a bolt into the end to extend it, but that has "disaster" written all over it!

It's currently 30mm long, 5mm diameter with a 6mm diameter end section.

Any other suggestions welcome! Image

Jamie :wave:
tony.mon

Re: Anyone handy with a lathe?

Post by tony.mon »

I do not have a lathe, but if anyone volunteers, they'll need to know whether you want the larger or smaller diameter extended.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Faboistar is the man with a lathe...

He's in NI so the turn around time may be a bit longer...

Try looking for a local engineering firm it would be better if the lathee has the origonal in hand to measure it up with...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Cheers dudes, I'll see if I can find a little engineering shop locally.

I must invest in a lathe one day! Along with learning how to weld, the possibilities would be endless.

I did have another little idea whilst counting sheep last night... I could drill and tap a grub screw into the lever stop, then the play in the rod would be adjustable
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Jamoi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:33 am Cheers dudes, I'll see if I can find a little engineering shop locally.

I must invest in a lathe one day! Along with learning how to weld, the possibilities would be endless.

I did have another little idea whilst counting sheep last night... I could drill and tap a grub screw into the lever stop, then the play in the rod would be adjustable ImageImage
thats a tiny we thing for the brute of a lathe i have :eek2 ....honestly your idea of the grub screw is the easy way out, chop a few mill of the small end and fit the grub screw for as you say adjustment and to allow you to back it of a little if the clutch fluid gets warm and you need to back it of a little :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jamie,

I would cut it in the middle and thread both of the new cut faces. Then put a stud into one side with super strength locktite, then a use a thin locknut to hold the other side from moving once you have set the length
AMcQ
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm Jamie,

I would cut it in the middle and thread both of the new cut faces. Then put a stud into one side with super strength locktite, then a use a thin locknut to hold the other side from moving once you have set the length
Al, I can't say for sure, coz I can't remember from when I took mine out to clean it, but I think it's a tube, and only has solid inserts at the ends.
I'd be interested to find out why it appears to be too short, there doesn't seem to be a reason I can think off that would cause that to happen, it's just a push road.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cheekykev wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:31 am
AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 pm Jamie,

Al, I can't say for sure, coz I can't remember from when I took mine out to clean it, but I think it's a tube, and only has solid inserts at the ends.
I'd be interested to find out why it appears to be too short, there doesn't seem to be a reason I can think off that would cause that to happen, it's just a push road.
That is the question I would be asking myself. Are they all like that, or is it due to the levers you're using, or something else :?:

Chris.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, some smart ideas there Image

There is bit of a common complaint from RC8 owners using ASV levers; the popular consensus is ASV have made the supplied pushrod for the clutch lever a fraction too short, which isn't a big issue but brings the clutch bite a bit closer to the handlebar. I personally like the clutch to bite as far out as I can get it.

The reason for changing the levers to aftermarket ones is, my hands are essentially garden spades and I want a bit of adjustment Image

So on to solving the pushrod length issue...

I did think of another idea, which is simple for me to do while I have a minimal workshop (all my tools and vice etc are in storage).

I could drill and tap a grub screw into the lever stop, which would essentially make the clutch lever rest in an adjustable position (same effect as extending the pushrod!).

Pics below...

1st one is the lever stop in a closed (resting) position.

2nd pic is the lever fully pulled into the handlebar.

3rd pic is where I hope to get to with a grub screw.

Any issues you could forsee with this idea?

ImageImageImage
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Intended grub screw location: Image
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Pushrod on other side of lever pivot: Image
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I might be missing the point Jamie, but as far as I can work out, if you put a travel limiter in there, it will do the opposite of extending the pushrod. Won't the effect be to bring the lever closer to the bar?

Or is the plan to take out the slack on the pushrod by your new grub screw, then increase the span by using the built in span adjuster? That would work assuming there is enough range on the span adjuster
AMcQ
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

AMCQ46 wrote:I might be missing the point Jamie, but as far as I can work out, if you put a travel limiter in there, it will do the opposite of extending the pushrod. Won't the effect be to bring the lever closer to the bar?

Or is the plan to take out the slack on the pushrod by your new grub screw, then increase the span by using the built in span adjuster? That would work assuming there is enough range on the span adjuster
Hi Al, yes you're spot on, the grub screw will take up the slack from the pushrod, which will move the lever closer to the bar, but there's so much adjustment on the lever I can still adjust it out for my spade hands Image

The levers are really nice quality and the adjustment is superb, I just wish they made the push rod a mm or two longer! I really don't like having the bite point near the bar, if that makes sense?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jamoi wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:27 pm Thanks for the suggestions fellas, some smart ideas there Image

There is bit of a common complaint from RC8 owners using ASV levers; the popular consensus is ASV have made the supplied pushrod for the clutch lever a fraction too short, which isn't a big issue but brings the clutch bite a bit closer to the handlebar. I personally like the clutch to bite as far out as I can get it.
Ah I see, at least you know what is causing the problem.

Has anyone thought about contacting ASV about this pushrod problem :?: After all they are not a cheap and cheerful product,

Chris.