What bike next?

General Bike chat
freeridenick

What bike next?

Post by freeridenick »

It's only just been a week since I stopped speaking to my Storm but I think it's encouraging that I'm already thinking of where to go next. I don't think I'm going to move it on but I'm starting to like the idea of putting it back on the road over winter. I've bust it once on track and bits are nigh on impossible to find if I bust it again in the spec it's in now. So that leave me without a track bike and wondering what to get. Budget would be on the cheap side with and I want something that's reliable and easy/cheap to fix. I think I'd rather go fuel injection too. Thoughts below and any suggestions on alternatives would be welcome.

ZX6R (especially 2005+). Great Supersports machine and the 636 is now being accepted in 600 classes if I want a race or two.
SV650. Cheap and something to really build corner speed on, plus the mini twin series are competitive and there are loads of them.
Bandit 600. Really only for the Formula Prostock racing so not a top contender as mostly I reckon I'll be track daying.
GSXR 750. Not sure if these are cheap or not given the handy balance of performance in a 600 package, but not much racing opportunity.
Tuono. Cheaper than the Mille but still with the twin thing.
gilson

Re: What bike next?

Post by gilson »

I had a lot of fun on my mates SV650. It was the Carb version too. I loved it.
No bike (yet).
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i think the mini twins class looks like the best bang for the buck if you want to mix trackdays and some racing
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

FZ600 and come crmc racing with us :thumbup: :D
or there's a new class this year for 400cc bikes, the pocket rockets think it goes upto 92 but need to check, must have standard engine but sounds like a good class with ZXR's. FZR's, NC30's etc.

For track days the 1000cc are fast but are they the best fun ?, if 1000cc the GSXR1000K3/4 was good handling out of the box and don't have overwhelming power, the K5/6 was softened off for the masses, easily sorted but at cost so the previous model if you get a good one you could just take on track.
Mk2 Tuono Factory would be good on track
R6, current model goes back to 2007 so loads to choose from.
zx6 week gearboxes.
CBR600 all good
ZX7R if it's well prepped.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

popkat wrote:FZ600 and come crmc racing with us Image :D
or there's a new class this year for 400cc bikes, the pocket rockets think it goes upto 92 but need to check, must have standard engine but sounds like a good class with ZXR's. FZR's, NC30's etc.

I've had a look for FZ600s and not a single one around. I found and FZ750 (white and yellow) but it's miles away.

A 400 would suit my weight so I'll check out the CRMC site.

What about a 675 triple. I fancied one of those when they came out; something a bit different.

The TT600 and the later Daytona 600/650 were good on handling too as far as I remember.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

put the storm on the road.

buy a decent honda steelie 600 and race it for the next 300 years :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:19 pm put the storm on the road.

buy a decent honda steelie 600 and race it for the next 300 years :clap: :clap:
I would agree with that !!!
i had a pretty trick storm for the track,wp blade front end, nitron, 4 ign adv, skinny flywheel, 6m lift, damper, dyn, scrpion cans, harris rear sets etc etc.

I got a steelie that had seen some race action in the past so stripped back to the basics. And came with nitron shock, tyres with life left, damper WoWs and a few track day spares like clip-ons, casings etc. Swapped the front springs and upgraded the nitron to suit me. Great fun bike. I was quicker on it than the firestorm even before the suspension sort out. ... Paid £1000 for it.

Downsides. A bit under powered compared to the modern bikes. So, you get nailed on the straight with the “point and squirt boys”. But holds its own against the bikes 10 years younger (97 CBR600 F3).

Upsides. Passing the “point and squirt boy” into Mansfield just after nailed you on Park straight on his bike that cost in excess of 10 times yours did. Repeat to the end of the session