Dyno jet and K and N

General Bike chat
sparrowlegs

Dyno jet and K and N

Post by sparrowlegs »

How much Differenct does a Dyno jet kit and a K and N filter make on a 'storm?
My hubby has put a K and N filter in his Hornet600 and gained about 8 BHP.
my Storm will be due for a service before we go on hols in July and i might have the Dyno jet kit fitted along with the K and N if it improves the bike.
It'll all be properly set up on the inhouse Dyno at the shop. :D
Many Thanx, Caz xxxxx
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

im expecting about a 6-7bhp increase when i have mine done
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Had mine done last weekend up at Revolution.

Base run was 105bhp then after a full service, dj kit and K&n it made 108bhp - not huge on paper but the short ride I got on it* showed a noticeable improvement in midrange pull.

* cct went on way home :(

Steve
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

its not the BHP increase thats the best result, but the fueling improvements. Properly set up, filters and jetting seem to get you on average 20 miles per tank extra.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

I'm hoping thats the case- till new tensioners arrive and I get the bike back up to revolution in 2 weeks time I'll have to suffer the withdrawal symptoms.

Considering how little I've used the bike over the last 2 years, now it's finally fully sorted I'm itching to get back out on it.

It's like chrismas eve, you know theres a new toy under the tree waiting but you have to wait.....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtrsteve wrote:
* cct went on way home :(

Steve
Sorry to hear that Steve :!: I hope it's not too serious :!:

How many miles had the CCT's done and was it the front one?

Chris.
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

Looks like i might as well get new cam chain tensioners fitted too lol ....might get manual ones
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

sirch345 wrote:How many miles had the CCT's done and was it the front one?

Chris.
Yep, front one - no idea if it's the original one (had pink spot) but the bikes done 22k.

I hate to confess this but I rode the bike back from where it went by Oulton park back to Rugby, nearly 2 hrs blissfully unaware of the possible consequences :oops: but still she ran just as normal, just a lot noisier although I found a quiet spot around 4000rpm so tried to keep it there and under load all the time. I'm now keeping fingers crossed that no long term damage has been done.

Top tip no1- if you have breakdown cover, keep it in your wallet not at home!!!

Top tip no2 - if you have a mobile, make sure it's charged up!!!

If I'd had both then I probably would have got it recovered home.....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtrsteve wrote:
sirch345 wrote:How many miles had the CCT's done and was it the front one?

Chris.
Yep, front one - no idea if it's the original one (had pink spot) but the bikes done 22k.

I hate to confess this but I rode the bike back from where it went by Oulton park back to Rugby, nearly 2 hrs blissfully unaware of the possible consequences :oops: but still she ran just as normal, just a lot noisier although I found a quiet spot around 4000rpm so tried to keep it there and under load all the time. I'm now keeping fingers crossed that no long term damage has been done.

Top tip no1- if you have breakdown cover, keep it in your wallet not at home!!!

Top tip no2 - if you have a mobile, make sure it's charged up!!!

If I'd had both then I probably would have got it recovered home.....
Cheers for your reply Steve, I'm amazed you actually managed 2hrs after it had gone :!: If the bike was still running and firing on both cylinders when you got home and you haven't started it since and won't be starting it again until it's been fixed, I'd say you have a very good chance of it only being the CCT that will need replacing :!:

My advice would be DON'T START IT AGAIN UNTIL IT'S FIXED The chances are that the tensioner thats failed will definitely have backed of by now, so if you do start it you will be doing a lot more damage :!: :!: :!:

Chris.

PS. I like your top tips, well worth remembering :!:
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Yep, the bike ran spot on all the way home! I think someone upstairs was looking down on me :lol:

Oh the tensioners defintely backed out now - cos I stripped the bike and took it out 8O ...again did this before I saw the horrors that can occur by not having the cylinder at TDC :oops: we live and learn!!

This is why I've decided it best to take the bike back to Roger at Revolution in a van and have him do the tensioners and double check the valve timing etc.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtrsteve wrote:Yep, the bike ran spot on all the way home! I think someone upstairs was looking down on me :lol:

Oh the tensioners defintely backed out now - cos I stripped the bike and took it out 8O ...again did this before I saw the horrors that can occur by not having the cylinder at TDC :oops: we live and learn!!

This is why I've decided it best to take the bike back to Roger at Revolution in a van and have him do the tensioners and double check the valve timing etc.
Good luck with it Steve, lets us know how it goes,

Cheers,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Steve said
Oh the tensioners defintely backed out now - cos I stripped the bike and took it out ...again did this before I saw the horrors that can occur by not having the cylinder at TDC we live and learn!!
Ouch!
Well it's been posted enough times you should have known :(
It's not too hard to align and put back together if you want to do it cheeply the Hayne manual is quite acurate for that bit.
Then after it's done wind the engine over by hand (spanner actually)and see if everything is still aligned after that you know you're good to go.

Pete.l
kirsty

Post by kirsty »

I've just been at the welsh motorcycle show where i was told i could fit a stage 3 dyno jet kit to my firestorm, is this true because dynojet uk states only a stage 1?
Girlz ride big bikes 2!!!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

kirsty wrote:I've just been at the welsh motorcycle show where i was told i could fit a stage 3 dyno jet kit to my firestorm, is this true because dynojet uk states only a stage 1?
Prob only for the track. Stage 1 would be all you'd need for the road.
Rich.