Too loud when hot

General Bike chat
amacbrown

Too loud when hot

Post by amacbrown »

Hey dudes, just trying to guage experiences here.......I have twin Titanium Scorpion Cans on my 2001 Red Firestorm. From cold the cans sound awesome very deep controlled pleasant thumps. However after 30mins or so in stop start London traffice I start to notice the noise from the cans. It gets to the point where I don't like them so much. I'm guessing that once the exhaust pipes are at full temp or even above (bikes temp is 105c and fan is blowing every few mins) the gasses speed up and the cans are not able to absorb so much of the noise.

Its come to the point where i'm close to putting the baffles back in!!

Would a re-pack correct this? Does anybody else experience anything similar. Obviously i don't wear plugs due to staying below 50mph through London.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

You could try repacking first see if there is any improvement,
Then if you think they are still too noisy refit the baffles,
But I must admit if I was driving through a busy city I would want as much noise as possible then cars and pedestrians know your coming.
I took my bike for a short trip into town and back with no cans just the down pipes fitted.... man I haven’t laughed so much in ages
ages
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Just wear ear plugs!

PS ear plugs stop you going deaf!
feef

Post by feef »

pardon????
FJR1300
YZF1000 Thunderace
VTR1000 Firestorm
FZR400
DR350S
xxxrated

Post by xxxrated »

i had the same cans mate and the same experience, only liked the sound a lot more when they were warm.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Amacbrown, welcome aboard :!: :D
I have Scorpion race cans on my bike and I was under the impression that Scorpion cans DO NOT need repacking as their packing is designed to last the life time of the cans :!:

Chris.
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

I've got Micron carbon ovals and you really can't beat the noise they make, and earplugs spoil it (I know I'm gonna go deaf).
Why commute on a Storm anyway? Why not buy a CB500 or similar and just keep the Storm for weekend blasts, money permitting of course :D
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
stu9000

Post by stu9000 »

I got Leo Vincis on mine and they are LOUD!.

I dont want to be antisocial but theyve saved me and the bike many times.
Wear earplugs.

Stu
red is the fastest colour;)
Anonymous

loud pipes

Post by Anonymous »

made a set af cans to fit directly in place of old ones.... got bored of them so i made a underseat exhaust from scratch with the baffle in its bloody load you need ear plugs take the baffles out and youve heard nothing as sweet to a v-twin owners ears totaly changes and then ear plugs dont do much. in saying that i have only had one person pull out on me and he was at least 90 and as deaf as a post
amacbrown

Post by amacbrown »

earplugs are a done deal, thanks for steering me away from trying to repack the cans chaps