CCT Death Rattle..........maybe!!

General Bike chat
BarryH

CCT Death Rattle..........maybe!!

Post by BarryH »

Riding home today I noticed a distinct metalic rattle every now and then. Do the CCT's give any indication before they let go?
When I purchased the bike from Dribble's in Coulsdon the cct's were changed as part of the deal and PDI/MoT/Service etc etc. The ones that were originally in there had a yellow dot of paint on them. The replacement ones had a pink dot of paint, which I was told, were the latest ones.....I dunno!

The bike is running fine and has only done 10K miles on these cct's Thoughts..............??!!
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi Barry,

Where's the metallic rattle sound to be coming from?

I got a little rattle last year and like a pratt did nothing about it .. waiting for someone to give me a round tuit!

Only occaisional at first and sounded to be from top end of front cylinder sort of area - certainly sounded like front of bike.

Next thing I'm pootling down the M1 to look at a motor in Mexborough with wor lass on pillion... the rattle got v. loud then engine she go bang!

Spent a wonderful sunny couple of hours waiting for Mr RAC sat on fence above hard shoulder, watching everyone coming home from GP at Donny!!!! :(

Bottom end I think .. haven't opened her up - just luckily I had a spare engine from when I bent her in '04.

Popped it in and Robert's your Father's Brother.

Old engine sat in my mates garage - 'open it up when we need to' he says. Or 'when we get bored in Winter' I say.

Maybe more mechanically minded bods on here can shed light.... I certainly wouldn't ignore it.

Cheers,

Graeme
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Barry, if it's a sound that you don't normally hear coming from the engine, as Graeme said, best to get it checked out asap :!:

Chris.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I have a slight rattle on the bike but it too has new CCT's. I think now it is cam follower clearance but any noise 'out-of-the-ordinary' needs a check out.

LSM
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

harumph.....had the thing to bits and it is the front tentioner thats gone awol. Bit miffed as these were fitted just 10 thou miles ago and its only got 20 on the clock!!

Change in pairs or not? If the front has gone tits then how long before the rear goes and I have to pull it apart again? Might look into these manual ones as a permanant fix...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BarryH wrote:harumph.....had the thing to bits and it is the front tentioner thats gone awol. Bit miffed as these were fitted just 10 thou miles ago and its only got 20 on the clock!!

Change in pairs or not? If the front has gone tits then how long before the rear goes and I have to pull it apart again? Might look into these manual ones as a permanant fix...
Well the good thing is you've found out before more serious damage occurred :!:
In the following link is a post from me, on how LotusSevenMan and myself came to the conclusion on how some CCT's last longer than others:- http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 8120#68120

The front one is usually more prone to failure because it doesn't get the same amount of lubrication as the rear one, as it's facing up hill, also with it being situated between the two cylinders it gets hotter than the rear one. I myself would replace both of them, but that's entirely up to you. Best prices for new CCTs is at:- http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Chris.
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

aye have read that post on a number of occasions. The bike needs and mot in the next week or so, so I've ordered a pair from Silvers as an interim measure. I WILL look at getting a pair of the Ape ones as the standard ones are just too unreliable.

I looked at the Haynes book of lies for the thing and they mention nothing about aligning the timing marks which I thought was the norm when doing anything with cam chains!?!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BarryH wrote: I looked at the Haynes book of lies for the thing and they mention nothing about aligning the timing marks which I thought was the norm when doing anything with cam chains!?!
In the 'Workshop' section have a look at:-

'How to remove and refit CCT's on the firestorm'
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

Barry,if its just the spring thats gone have you considered fitting a pair of Dave Greenwoods cct springs?If you look on the workshop section you'll find his address.His springs aren'tpreoaded as with the Honda replacements so any worries about why the replacements fail prematurely shouldn'tapply,there cheaper too (about £25 apair with postage if i remember right.)
Cheers
Steve
Sharpe1

Post by Sharpe1 »

I only got 12,000 km out of a Honda set. I now have a spare set ready to go with Daves springs in them.
Larry.

'99 YELLOW
A man goes to the Zoo, but when he arrives there's only a dog.

It was a Shitzu!
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

From now on I'm going to take what dealers say with a pinch o'salt. I was told that BOTH cct's had been changed before I took delivery of the bike......had they wombles. The one under the tank was an original, different colour code on it to the rear one.

Anyway done'em now and its running sweet as. Even gave the thing a service including valve clearences...ooh err.
madbikerbev

Re: CCT Death Rattle..........maybe!!

Post by madbikerbev »

Anyone know the best place to get manual tensioners from
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bazza696 on here converts Honda ones to manuals for £35 a pair,. Just post him your old ones, after they've been swapped.
Otherwise there are APE from the states, a gut called ThePont sells some on ebay, and RideronaStorm on here sells some when he has a batch made and ready.

I offer a fitting service as well, if you're near S London/N Kent, and I carry some of Bazza's in stock.
I'll Private Message (pm) you my number.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Useful thread on different manual CCTs

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

When i got my 30k mile storm i checked through the service history and found a recipt for new OEM CCTs fitted at 20k. which started to rattle a month or 2 later. :thumbdown:
just get manuals. :wink: