This winter's rebuild and mods

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: This winter's rebuild and mods

Post by tony.mon »

Another bit of progress.
Started the day with a stripped front end:

Had a small setback, K-Tech sent me the wrong springs- RWU instead of USB. Packed them up and posted them back :(

I'd bought a new pair of stanchions at a good price, complete with all of the slider bearings and seals, still in Honda packaging and box.
But when I got them out the top edge of one stanchion was dented- not a huge dent but annoying. I thought this was why the spring wouldn't go in, but it was because it was 2mm too large on diameter- it wouldn't go in the undamaged leg either, when I checked.

So the spare set of forks went on, so that I could check the line up of the wheel spacers, F4i calipers, 320mm discs, etc.

Carbon fibre mudguard looks pretty fly, imho.

Ended up with this:

So while I was in the mood, I stuck the Woodcraft clip-ons on, and radial MC with Titax lever.....

Tomorrow I'll have a play with the airbox and ram air.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I hope you don't, but I reckon you might get an interference issue with the gauges with the new MC. Fingers crossed you don't.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Tony 8O that is FLY! :clap:
Jamie :wave:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Coming on nicely :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That looks pretty slick to me Tony 8)

Keep up the good work :clap: :clap:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Got my modded airbox lid all finished up (with integrated filter, mounted facing front with the narrow end at the front, to create a quasi-NACA-duct effect). As I wonder about potentital turbulence issues (and because it`s winter here, leaving me with lots of free time to indulge in my OCMD, lol), I have also built an "air diffuser" inspired on the MWR filter design. Unlike the MWR VTR prototype that had been built last year (but like the MWRs built for other bikes), the diffuser is downstream of the filter. It is screwed onto the two posts which normally hold the air dam in the OEM set-up, so it`s easily removeable. I will try the new lid with and without the diffuser, in the hope that one of the two set-ups gives me the hoped-for result. Will post pics at some point......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

So I did a test fit of my new airbox lid and the spiffy air diffuser I had created is not needed as the stack (front cylinder) opening is directly under the filter (the diffuser would only impede airflow).... so good-bye diffuser...... is it spring yet? lol
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigtwinthing wrote:
tony.mon wrote:It's the suck bit of suck squeeze bang blow.
:lol:

i prefer the wife's!!!!! :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Getting back on track, this topic is getting very interesting 8)

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

mik_str wrote:So I did a test fit of my new airbox lid and the spiffy air diffuser I had created is not needed as the stack (front cylinder) opening is directly under the filter (the diffuser would only impede airflow).... so good-bye diffuser...... is it spring yet? lol
I'm looking forward to the results of this :-)
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Not one to give up easily, I decided to give the diffuser idea another go (had some aluminum plate and time to play, so what the heck....). So, I have Mark II built (feel like the Swamp castle Lord in Monty Python, lol Will post pics (eventually)......
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Tony, any chance of more photos of your new bars? and some initial thoughts?
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Your wish:

I have fitted the 12 volt power socket and also the smaller rectangular socket which is the connection for the charger/battery conditioner.

There should be enough space for a small plate to surface mount the two sockets and also the two displays for the Lambda sensors, once they arrive.
I have a nice little piece of carbon fibre board to mount it all onto.
I think the angle of the bars is too swept back; it feels ok but looks too far rotated back, but that will all be adjusted once the fairing is back on.

As you can see the simple bracket on the inboard end of the RH clip on means that I can bend it, or twist it, or make a longer one very simply.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No pics this time but the last piece of the jigsaw has finally arrived from the USA; two lambda sensors, displays and control gear.
I'm pleased with how small the displays are- less than 3mm thick, so I will be able to sandwich them into a section of 3mm carbon fibre board which I'll mount up onto the ignition switch/top yoke area. Should look nice and neat.

I've got to get the fibreglass airbox tub sealed to the underside of the tank, and that's quite convoluted and wavy- no straight edges at all.
To ensure I get a good seal I've chopped the base off an old dented tank, and cut a section out of the base so I can see the sealing edges, but will need to build up the rear edge of the fibreglass as it misses by 20mm in a couple of places.
Then a thick gasket sort of thing fitting onto the top of the frame rails to seal against the lower tank edge will finish that part of the job.

Well, it will do after I find ways to get things like the fuel lines and throttle cable through the tub wall without leaks, but that shouldn't be difficult.
I'll need a longer throttle cable, probably running the "pull" side only.
I need to change the angle the cable joins the carb pulley as well, so it doesn't foul the ram air tube on the RH side. Which I haven't made yet....or the LH side....

Or the filter plate, or...... Ah well, next week.

Hopefully the bike will be back on the road next weekend, just waiting for a very helpful chappie to make the captive wheel spacers to the correct sizes- my first measurements were 1.5mm out in total, meaning that the calipers aren't perfectly aligned, and I can't get the wheel to sit perfectly or clamp the fork spindle up properly until they're in place.
Mind you, I originally measured with a set of forks on which hadn't been rebuilt with new bushes, and once that's done they line up better. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Measure twice, cut once, wasn't it? :oops:

Looks like it'll be back on the road ready for the cold snap- maybe I'll fit those heated grips after all :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Here are some pics of my modded airbox lid with integrated filter. Note that the shield on the inside can be removed (will likely try it with and without).

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

mik_str wrote:Here are some pics of my modded airbox lid with integrated filter. Note that the shield on the inside can be removed (will likely try it with and without).

Now that looks the part And gives much more volume . I like the plate and think it will work well to stop the front stack pinching all the fresh air .