any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Post by VTRDark »

Away but not away from the internet.

Yep 4: 7.4 ib

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry if you thought I was doubting you.. not so,, I was AMAZED.. not sceptical .

I see the difference though, you guts are really carving on the basket.
I have done a few where I skim the basket to true it up and reduce run out.. but never removed more than .010 material or so.

Hard to believe you guys are getting 1.5lb from the basket :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I never would have guessed it could be lightened that much more. :clap: I thought I was doing good at 1.5lb from the weight and a small amount to true up the basket.. But you guys found another 1.5 lb to remove.. outstanding.

As to more is better... dont know..I'm of the thought,, those that were doing this to eeek out as much performance as possible did not machine up a custom lightweight rotor, yet could have,, they choose to lighten (just a little by some standards) the OEM one.. WHY? They had huge budgets, mostly unlimited R&D, equipment ect,,, and chose to just take 16 or less ounces off...... 8O
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not me. One Guy and a very expensive machine. I shall have it on the bike hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I'm quite willing to be the test pilot. Love to live life on the edge and take risks me. What's the worst that can happen...shake the engine to bits. As mr Mon would say....OK that's upgrade opportunity. :lol:

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

gl_s_r wrote: Hence my question on the second page of this thread but think it was a little lost in translation with lots of book talk being thrown about when I wanted an answer like yours and I agree, why stop when they did?

Why do you think there was no need to balance the mori spec but Rogers would need to be? I would assume that the lighter the part the less any imbalance would be a problem?
It is only guessing on my part but my thinking is that when you take the extra material out for Rogers spec, the flywheel is now light enough that any imbalance in the basket could start to come into play.
Like I said it is only a guess but it is a pretty big lever arm.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

cybercarl wrote:Not me. One Guy and a very expensive machine. I shall have it on the bike hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I'm quite willing to be the test pilot. Love to live life on the edge and take risks me. What's the worst that can happen...shake the engine to bits. As mr Mon would say....OK that's upgrade opportunity. :lol:

I don't think it will shake to death at all to be honest, or I would have seen some imbalance on the machine when I done it.. If anything it'll run truer more than it did before. What will be interesting is the characteristic of the bike and if it makes it too severe with the on off throttle situations...
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't think it will shake to death at all to be honest
Nor do I to be honest. Interesting point about seeing it on the machine. Where does balancing come into play. Is it from possible runout that knocks them off balance, not that I expect any in the flywheel! or is it the centrifugal forces from the length from attaching to the crank.

I have a feeling the biggest issues will be the starting and idle speed. At the moment my mixture is very good and the bike will idle at 200rpm if I turn it down, with no fluctuations or cutting out. So now is a good time for me to the flywheel on and test for that.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

cybercarl wrote:
I don't think it will shake to death at all to be honest
Nor do I to be honest. Interesting point about seeing it on the machine. Where does balancing come into play. Is it from possible runout that knocks them off balance, not that I expect any in the flywheel! or is it the centrifugal forces from the length from attaching to the crank.

I have a feeling the biggest issues will be the starting and idle speed. At the moment my mixture is very good and the bike will idle at 200rpm if I turn it down, with no fluctuations or cutting out. So now is a good time for me to the flywheel on and test for that.

Thats an interesting point.. Run out.. Im sure others working on these have seen it as well.... from the factory, the basket has significant run out when the assembly is mounted and indexed off the hub (the hub with it's tapered hole that mounts to the crank snub)

Perhaps the "balancing" at the factory is to counter that run out during assembly.... or for a basket and magnet set that is simply not manufactured with a zero imbalance.

I set the flywheel to less than .0005 run out indicated at the hub/weight..... and typically see at least .005 or more run out on the basket.. many times over .010

I have a spare Im going to cut down in the next few days, and see if I can achieve greatness in lightening like a few others have :thumbup:

Still think in general I'll stick with the known versions...for others.. as Im not to keen on experimenting on others bikes.
Post event services

Total Rider
Max

Post by Max »

Hi Gents, this has been a most interesting thread, really enjoyed the thoughts on weight and balancing.
It has forced me to get myself another flywheel/basket :)
I plan to go for the less extreme option to begin with, ie what people seem to be calling the moriwaki cut leaving the basket alone.
The flywheel seems to be approx 155mm across so is the 13mm off the radius or diameter ?
I assumed off the diameter dropping it down to approx 142 mm .
thanks
Max

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yes it is off of the diameter. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Max

Post by Max »

8541Hawk wrote:Yes it is off of the diameter. :thumbup:
thanks . we'll give that a go first.
Max

Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

cybercarl wrote:Inertia and rotating mass!

Markus what's you view on the less mass making the bike harder to start and easier to stall at idle. Everything has it's pro's and cons so it would be good to know what are the cons specifically with the big twins. These are big pistons to move around which requires energy and the rotating mass helps with that.

i had mine lightened by E.Marquez. great work he did and ive been really happy with the new found rev up. i chose his lightest method which is the Roger D. method plus a little more taken off.

i did have a small issue with the bike stalling at idle 2 or 3 times. but my idle was low around 1000RPM so i adjusted it back to stock 1200RPM and no issues since.

cant wait for the track this saturday and be able to report how it feels at track speeds.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Jscobey wrote:
cybercarl wrote:Inertia and rotating mass!

Markus what's you view on the less mass making the bike harder to start and easier to stall at idle. Everything has it's pro's and cons so it would be good to know what are the cons specifically with the big twins. These are big pistons to move around which requires energy and the rotating mass helps with that.

i had mine lightened by E.Marquez. great work he did and ive been really happy with the new found rev up. i chose his lightest method which is the Roger D. method plus a little more taken off.

i did have a small issue with the bike stalling at idle 2 or 3 times. but my idle was low around 1000RPM so i adjusted it back to stock 1200RPM and no issues since.

cant wait for the track this saturday and be able to report how it feels at track speeds.

And I now understand we can make it even lighter if you decide to.. :D

I did not realize just HOW MUCH material could be taken off the basket until I saw pictures here and then turned one down myself to the point of destruction (cutting into the core)

Thanks to several on this forum for giving me a better understanding of how far you can lighten a VTR1000f flywheel.
Post event services

Total Rider
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

We'll is like to hear some reports on a much further lightened flywheel on how things function. Do you think it will make throttle response ridiculous? Or contribute to stalling or unwanted side affects?

Erik I'm thinking of sending you my old flywheel for lightening to sell it but if I hear some positive reports, I'll have you REALLY lighten it and then I'll swap that one on my bike.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Jscobey wrote:We'll is like to hear some reports on a much further lightened flywheel on how things function. Do you think it will make throttle response ridiculous? Or contribute to stalling or unwanted side affects?

Erik I'm thinking of sending you my old flywheel for lightening to sell it but if I hear some positive reports, I'll have you REALLY lighten it and then I'll swap that one on my bike.
I'm whittling down two today .. one for me, and one somewhat less radical for another SH owner.

For now, untill I run it a while, or someone else steps up.. you'll have to read feedback reports from folks in this forum...as Im pretty sure, no one stateside is running that 4 1/2 lb version.
Post event services

Total Rider
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

Does anywhere here even run a 4 1/2 lb flywheel? Or has it just been cut down to that?

I'll read around and see what I can find