seat

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
boz

seat

Post by boz »

Here's a cracker from a complete idiot who should be well embarrassed but i ain't got the brains for that.

Took my seat off today, easy peasy. Went to put it back on the exact reverse of the above but it ain't right. I slid the seat forward as per handbook, making sure the front tab went under the bracket at the back of the tank....located the hook things on either side under the seat under the brackets then pushed down at the back to click the locking thingy in place.
Well, i was left with a gaping gap along each side between the seat and bodywork. Upon inspection, the hooks are not located properly in to the brackets either side. The hooks sort of look like an upside down letter F. Well, they wont go past the first horizontal bar that clips under the bracket, making the seat sit up.
I've bloody tried everything. Took it off again and again. tried different pushing methods, lifting methods, had my wife and mate yank on it but still no joy (damn what a carry on oh err matron).
Am i a Richard? What the hell am i doing wrong, I mean.....I gotta a Haynes manual and still cant do this. Its mental. Please help.
I thank you for reading this and laughing at my idiocy.
CBR900rr Fireblade
Wicky

Re: seat

Post by Wicky »

Try fitting the pillion seat cowl or pollyfilla :p
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
boz

Post by boz »

Wicky wrote:Try fitting the pillion seat cowl or pollyfilla :p
Bike didn't come with a cowl. Dont want one either, need the seat to strap my laptop, flask and sandwiches to!!!
CBR900rr Fireblade
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Take the seat off. Undo bolts holding hooks & strap. Remove hooks & strap. Place hooks & strap in shed/garage & forget about them. :confused

Seat will still be held on at front & rear so not a problem. :thumbup:

Result easy peasy seat removal & refitting. :thumbup:

Simples!
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
boz

Post by boz »

MacV2 wrote:Take the seat off. Undo bolts holding hooks & strap. Remove hooks & strap. Place hooks & strap in shed/garage & forget about them. :confused

Seat will still be held on at front & rear so not a problem. :thumbup:

Result easy peasy seat removal & refitting. :thumbup:

Simples!
That is pure Genius....thanks. Even the head scratchin', teeth suckin', head shakin, ass scrapin' kuckles on the floor Honda mechanic.....no sorry technician (they don't do mechanics any more, far to much common sense and lateral thinking required) didn't mention that one. Brilliant, I'm off out to my shed. :D
CBR900rr Fireblade
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

...just read this. Genius!!!!
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks Boz that made me laugh so much. You write a good post mate. :thumbup: And by the time I got to the last sentence on you first post
I thank you for reading this and laughing at my idiocy.
I was almost pissing myself. :clap: :clap:

And the really funny thing is we have all had troubles with our seat from time to to time. :lol: Why Honda could not design it better I don't know.

How's your book going Boz? I think it was you writing one, if not it should be. :thumbup:

As griff said Genius.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Just use some fat washers as spacers under the hook brackets, makes it much easier to release. Interesting idea on removing them altogether, I'd have thought the seat would flex and move in the middle though? Think I'll leave mine on.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

firestorm996 wrote:Just use some fat washers as spacers under the hook brackets, makes it much easier to release. Interesting idea on removing them altogether, I'd have thought the seat would flex and move in the middle though? Think I'll leave mine on.
Done this to mine yonks ago, hence the suggestion. I have had no issues with flex or movement. It also removes the ugly, IMO, strap, however you can just remove the strap & put hooks back.

Recently I carried out this mod to Silver surfer Murvs Storm, when he first go it, this time tho the seat didn't seem to fit right & was loose & moving around, although locked in place.

The hooks were replaced by Mr Mons & with the use of a hammer the ''loops'' were persuaded back toward the tail which cured the sloppy fitting & the aggravation in fitting & removing.

One post three ways to solve the problem is that a record ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

not just me who has trouble then :lol: I've got it down to a fine art, a sort of karate chop in the right direction to get it on right :beer:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

I've just managed to get my seat on correctly, sorta, kinda, ish. Its been off the hook on one side for weeks now but I thought I would batter the bstard on. Well its on. Thats about the best I can say.

I find it easier to put the seat on and take it off when the cowl isnt attached but the bike looks so much better with it.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

I ground the little "bumps" on the inside of the hooks off. Took 30 secs and works like a charm... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and my fat thumbs...
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

As it happens I made some poly shims up yesterday and it seems better than with the washers. With washers on the thread shaft the hooks can flex back. I made some flat shims that fit under the whole hook plate, if it's no better I'll grind the hooks down a bit (good suggestion). Some bikes seem to be fine others are a pain, mine is the latter. Made even worse when you have a tailpack that weighs 10kg and needs to be velcro'd around the seat before you fit the seat.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Got fed up today with my seat after taking the hump off to accomodate my nephew and getting the hump trying to put the bastid thing back on and I have done what Mack suggested. It was like enlightenment and now the seat fits better. Got a long run to Gatwick and back today to pick said nephew up so will see what its like for riding but it seems pretty sturdy. :thumbup:
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
Hoppo

Post by Hoppo »

Another way is to put the seat in position without trying to push it into place, & look under the seat to see the position of the hooks in relation to the bars (no not the handlebars!!). Just bend the hooks back slightly with a pair of pliers/mole grips, replace seat and push down.
If it doesn't click into place bend a bit more. When you get the angle right, seat will just click into place. Unlocks easy as well.