Standard cans

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vtr..al

Standard cans

Post by vtr..al »

Thinking of buying a storm but it has standard cans.....could anyone tell me how hard it is to remove the baffles?...are they riveted or screwed in?

Al
bikerpiker

Re: Standard cans

Post by bikerpiker »

Hi mate,

the standard baffles are tack welded in ,...its still quite easy to remove them though, most of us drill 8 half inch holes around the end of the can, ....this is ok for a while and a lot louder than a standard can, untill even more noise is needed,...then we cut around the holes with a hole saw or chisell , a few clouts with a hammer, and out comes the end baffle :D

Click here - http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13257

And here - http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11277
Stevie
vtr..al

Post by vtr..al »

Cheers mate....where exactly would i drill the holes...do you have a pic of it when it was just drilled?

Al
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Hi mate,
i pinched this pic from another forum, but basically you drill it like this, then use a bigger drill if you want it louder ,then if you want the end baffle removed completely ,use a hole-saw, or sharpened screwdriver or chisell to go from hole to hole :!:
Use a centre-punch to mark the steel before you drill the holes ,it'll save the drill sliding about.

Last edited by bikerpiker on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

If you drill the baffles, you may be stuffed come MOT time.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Not sure about that stratman,..you might be right though , it's down to the testers discretion i think :?

Theres someone on here thats done it,and they posted last year that they had no probs whatsoever come mot time ...maybe Lotus7man :? ,his are gutted completely ,or it might be someone else, cant remember offhand .

I tried the forum search ,but all results from the year 2008 are missing from all search results, it doesnt matter what subject you type in the search box , been like this since the new forum got up n running :(

Time will tell with mine, ive got an mot in May :roll: .

With the drilled method, it wouldn't be hard to make up a big washer type thingy , which could be put over the holes , and held with a self-tapper screw,for MOT time :!:
Stevie
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

With the drilled method, it wouldn't be hard to make up a big washer type thingy , which could be put over the holes , and held with a self-tapper screw,for MOT time
:idea: Indeed :idea:

The people I use now don't care if I replace the baffles at MOT time (Scorpions) but the previous place did.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

vtr..al

Post by vtr..al »

Cheers for the help guys...will be definately drilling the baffles...been and picked the bike up just after tea and was very impressed with my ride home...really torquey motor and lovely to ride.

Will get some pics up soon.... :D :D

Al
bikerpiker

Re: Standard cans baffles

Post by bikerpiker »

bikerpiker wrote:Not sure about that stratman,..you might be right though , it's down to the testers discretion i think :?

Theres someone on here thats done it,and they posted last year that they had no probs whatsoever come mot time ...maybe Lotus7man :? ,his are gutted completely ,or it might be someone else, cant remember offhand .

I tried the forum search ,but all results from the year 2008 are missing from all search results, it doesnt matter what subject you type in the search box , been like this since the new forum got up n running :(

Time will tell with mine, ive got an mot in May :roll: .

With the drilled method, it wouldn't be hard to make up a big washer type thingy , which could be put over the holes , and held with a self-tapper screw,for MOT time :!:
Well..after thinking about it, i decided to make up a couple of these thingys for MOT time, which just screw in place to cover up the hole where the end baffle is removed .

It's just a flat plate with a hole drilled/filed in it, and a small piece of steel pipe tack-welded on to it.

It actually quietens down the can by quite a lot , its not as deep a sound, but crisper :!: Hopefull no probs when MOT time comes around :!:

Stevie
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bafflectomy helps with gas flow and noise, but I had to stick my standard cans on the other day for the MOT (straight through Carbon Can Co zorsts ain't gonna pass, no way, no how) and was once more reminded of how much vibration they cause through the footpegs.

Was glad to get mine back on.
Like an old pair of slippers again- nice and comfy!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

My tester had his fingers in his ears when i rode my straight through blue flamed vtr into the workshop, he passed it only because it was a saturday, test station examiner,s dont work Saturdays :wink2
vtr..al

Post by vtr..al »

Update us after ure M.O.T bikerpiker....bet it goes through though...good mod that one!

Al
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Standard cans baffles

Post by sirch345 »

bikerpiker wrote: Well..after thinking about it, i decided to make up a couple of these thingys for MOT time, which just screw in place to cover up the hole where the end baffle is removed .

It's just a flat plate with a hole drilled/filed in it, and a small piece of steel pipe tack-welded on to it.

It actually quietens down the can by quite a lot , its not as deep a sound, but crisper :!: Hopefull no probs when MOT time comes around :!:

That looks a good job for mot time Stevie, it looks almost as standard :wink:
A very good idea :!:

Chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

vtr..al wrote:Update us after ure M.O.T bikerpiker....bet it goes through though...good mod that one!

Al
One years MOT no problem at all ....,the tester never never batted an eyelid :D
Stevie
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bikerpiker wrote:
vtr..al wrote:Update us after ure M.O.T bikerpiker....bet it goes through though...good mod that one!

Al
One years MOT no problem at all ....,the tester never never batted an eyelid :D
But now you've left me with the image of previous testers batting their eyelids at you........
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.