Returning my Carbs to standard?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Shinyharley

Returning my Carbs to standard?

Post by Shinyharley »

Hi all

The VTR I have recently inherited (1998) appears to have had a Stage 1 Dynojet fitted at some stage, which was not removed when one of the other 12 owners sold it (presumably having put the stock exhausts and air filter back). This probably explains why it ran like a dog and my mate Robin gave it to me.

It has size 48 Pilot jets with the fuel screw set for size 45 - easily fixable.

180 (presumably Dynojet) Main jets both front and rear (so more like 202.5), and an extra hole in the slides (which I gather I can fill with epoxy resin?).

So, am I best to try and source 175 and 178 main jets and new needles, or does someone have a set of stock carbs handy?

...and thank you for the mine of useful knowledge this forum is :D
Newly acquired 1998 VTR1000F, 2014 MT-09

There is very little in life to beat a motorcycle ride, followed by a very cold beer and a nap
tony.mon

Re: Returning my Carbs to standard?

Post by tony.mon »

Some models have 48 as standard.
The needle jet is hard to remove, so if that's worn it's cheaper to get a low mileage set of carbs.
Main jets are cheap and easy to get, make sure they are standard Keihin and not dynojet or other makes.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Fill the third slide hole, buy keihin jets that suit your bike (if needed), and keep dynojet needles. You have best of both worlds. Dj needles and keihin jets work together.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I'd just fit standard jet sizes if your making it all stock with the pipes and airfilter, leave the DJ needles and leave the slide holes and give it a try, it'll probably be ok.
Setting the mixture not so easy as to adjust them on the bike is barely possible, I'd try 2 turns out and again see how it is.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I had trouble finding new stock needles for my 1998 bike – the front needle for the 98, 99 and 00 bikes is unavailable from any of the usual European sources. Partzilla don't have it because the US bikes didn't have that particular needle. The ones for the 97 and the 01-onwards bikes do still seem to be available. In the end I sent an email to every Honda dealer in the UK and one of them found a pair with their local dyno company which they sold me for £40 (not a bad price given they were new and are usually £34 each).

There's no real need to go back to stock needles unless you really want to – once adjusted the Dynojet ones will do fine.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

did you get any further with the carbs? did you try the other Rob who i think should have a few sets :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Shinyharley

Post by Shinyharley »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm did you get any further with the carbs? did you try the other Rob who i think should have a few sets :clap:
Just waiting to hear from Rob, thanks :D
Newly acquired 1998 VTR1000F, 2014 MT-09

There is very little in life to beat a motorcycle ride, followed by a very cold beer and a nap