I Bought It With a Knock

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: I Bought It With a Knock

Post by VTRDark »

I would have thought it would be a mix of something. It's like the exhausts headers...they are supposed to be Stainless steel. :roll:

Great pic that Jim :clap: :clap:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

If you look at the picture you can see the edge of the liner. It looks like a plain iron liner but how they get it in there is beyond me. That block is a work of art.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

but how they get it in there is beyond me
Precision alignment and one heavy duty press I would guess. And maybe there is a bit of heat involved.

Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

No parts yet. I did get a message today that said they shipped. Wonderful!

Tomorrow the first group ride of the season happens. It is billed as our Polar Bear ride. The weather is supposed to be OK with only a 40% change of rain but freezing rain moves in on Sunday. I don't know why but I can't wait for the winter to end. I have not been able to stay warm all winter and the riding has been iffy at best. Usually we get some nice days but on the days the sun is out the wind has blown a gale.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Big_Jim59 wrote:If you look at the picture you can see the edge of the liner. It looks like a plain iron liner but how they get it in there is beyond me. That block is a work of art.
Liner is cast iron for sure. Today I took closer look.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

There HERE! The rod bearings arrived today and now it's back to work. Of course it promises to be some of the coldest days of the year but I don't care. It's back together it goes.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Woo hooo :Dancing: :Dancing: :Dancing: :Dancing: :Dancing:

See you in a few days when you reappear back out of the garage. :wink:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Great now get on with it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

thats some work your doing Jim. keep the info comming :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I have my parts and I would have run out to the shop, first thing this morning but it has turned out to be a bitter cold day. Yes, it does snow occasionally in North Texas.

I did get one more part in. I ordered this only three days ago and, in spite of the weather and the fact that it came from Bozeman Montana, it gets to me in three days. This is in contrast to my OEM parts that take ten days or more. I am not bitter. I ordered a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug. Every bike should have one of these and every bike, that circulated a lot of trash should doubly have one of these. I guess manufactures don't use them because they freak owners up when they pull the drain plug and find it looking like it grew a head of hair. Any bike that shares the engine oil with the transmission with have steel shavings floating around. Transmissions are notoriously dirty.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I made good use of my Saturday even if it was freezing in the shop. I started the day by putting on many layers of clothing and that made it seem OK. My wife keeps after me to buy a heater for the shop but they all seem like an ignition source to me so I have resisted the temptation to be comfortable.

I knew that today was the big day. I fit the new rode bearings and check the clearance with plastigage. (They are within spec.) I then fit the rods to the pistons and installed the rings, staggered the ring gaps and popped them into their respective holes. I wrapped the big end with a shop towel to keep it from banging into the cylinder wall or anything else. I had to disassemble and re-assembe the shift mechanism from the old case to the new one. That done I spread Yamabond (Sorry, no Hondabond on hand) on the sealing surfaces and installed the bottom case. This was my biggest concern, getting the shifting forks to align but I shouldn't have worried. It went back together perfectly. Once I got all the bolts in and everything torqued down I checked the transmission and it shifted through all the gear and the crank can be turned by a strong hand. I used an assembly lube with graphite on all the bearing surfaces. I finished off the day by mounting the brackets that hold the rear suspension linkage on the rear of the now assembled engine. I would keep going but I am tired and I don't want to rush things.

It's getting there.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Won't be long now :thumbup:

Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lloydie wrote:Won't be long now :thumbup:

The rest is just putting stuff back on.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's a good days work Jim. :thumbup:

I think you should get a heater in there. It's not as if you have anything highly flammable, it's only petrol :biggrin

macdee

Post by macdee »

keep it up jim
told you not to but oh no you knew better