Seat Tailpiece cut-outs for cargo-hooks and helmet straps

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bikerpiker

Seat Tailpiece cut-outs for cargo-hooks and helmet straps

Post by bikerpiker »

Just fitted bars n risers and decided to remove the seat cowl for a different look.
Looking at the bike side on,along the top of the tailpiece,and underneath the seat edge,you can clearly see the cut-outs for the cargo hooks,helmet holder,and...ehhhh dunno but there is another one in front.
These are very prominent,especially with the seat cowl removed,and imo spoil the look a wee bit. I tried packing up the rear a bit using a few washers,to reduce the gap between seat and tail unit,helped a bit but not great.
Any ideas anybody :?: :?:
patty

Post by patty »

hi mate,
ive tried for a yr now to solve this very same problem.
ive used washers,bending the bits on the subframe slightly,etc
nothing works.

its the only thing that lets the bike down,and its the first thing everyone notices.
if somebody comes up with another way around this problem post it here(please)
as i think quite alot of storms suffer from this.

pat.
yellow all the way...
who needs 4 cylinders when 2 are this good!!

storm no more...rsv power now.
(along with 85cc of honda finest)
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

You're right mate,its a pain, very noticeable.
As you know ,with seat cowl on,you can mainly just see the front cut out, but with seat cowl removed,especially if lookin at right hand side with bike on side stand ,all 3 are very visible and look as if they shouldn't be there.
They look too big for what's needed ,and stick oot like a sair thumb if ye ask me :!: Hopefully someone will come up with a solution :?
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

Noticed it myself, thought my seat wasn't on right. At first I thought it was the 2 lugs near the middle not pulling it down, so unbolted them and placed them underneathe the ends of the strap ends. That did nothing. So it must be the main catch at the rear, but I haven't looked at it more closely to see if it can be adjusted.

Chris
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Wouldnt like to alter the seat by cutting,dont want to lower the seat height any, would rather raise the tailpiece somehow.
Not too bad with seat cowl on,but looks fekn terrible with it removed ,the seat doesnt follow the contours of the bodywork.
And to you guys thats sayin "whit are they moanin aboot"....take your rear cowl off and see :!:
Maybe something like screen edging along the top would hide the holes.
dookie

Post by dookie »

If you ever fit soft panniers you'l see why them holes are there.
There was a time i used to care
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Hi dookie......Ahhh right,,so thats the reason for them being there,
Really a way of disguising them the 99% of the time most peeps don't have soft panniers fitted im looking for .
Or maybe i'll fit rear seat cowl again,just fancied change of look.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Was thinking along those lines,...or maybe paint the holes same colour as the bodywork :?: :lol: :lol:
i need to lay off this voddy ....good tip though mate .
pariah

Try This

Post by pariah »

Yeah I know what yh mean.

Nast looking 2. If yh remove the seat you will see the raised edge. Prep this ( Wet and Dry paper will do ) then mask along the lower edge and then spary it with matt black. Also spray the seat catches .

This will reduce it visually as it now all looks the same as the gaps dont stand out . Just makes it look like it,s been left to accomodate well built pillions. :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Most odd - saw this thread and wondered what people were seeing

Today I parked up next to another red P reg storm and the gap on the other bike between seat and plastic looked really noticeable whilst mine is definitely not so pronounced (no mods done by me or as far as I know by previous owners).

When I get the chance I'll take some pics of my bike to share to check I'm not hallucinating.