New bike so New bits !

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tosh23

New bike so New bits !

Post by tosh23 »

New bike for me and for my barf-day, ( thanks love ).On every bike I get a service and new little bits before I'm happy ...so.......
I live in Hull, Yorkshire England. My nearest Honda main dealer has quoted me the following prices.........................

£ 44.........per cam chain tensioner
£114........x ring gold chain and renthal sprockets
£28..........semi synthetic oil
£10..........oil filter.

Can I have your thoughts please , I thought these prices were reasonable ?.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi matey,

Is that for OEM CCT? or manual replacements?

Have you tried the web? or another bike shop?

Personally I would avoid paying main dealer prices for anything I could cos they're a rip off!

Try David Silver Spares if you're stuck for OEM parts.

Chain and sprockets sound about right for X ring - but I know a lot of the guys round here get chains cheaper at Rufforth auto jumble (every 1st Saturday of the month - the autojumble, not the chains - don't think they're that cheap! :lol: ).

Personally I'd go for Fully Synth oil - think I paid about £30 for the last lot, Motul.

Pretty sure you'll get an oil filter cheaper, can't remember price of last one, but sure it wasn't £10.

Get a lot of my stuff from a mate with a motor factors, so price is 'nearly' always right!

HTH

clayderman

Post by clayderman »

Cam chain tensioners and gaskets supplied only inc vat £64.32
Castrol semi-synth £26.60
Oil filter £10
Prices from my local Honda main dealer.

Sorry I can't help on the price of the chain but that price looks okay to me. The only thing that seem a little steep are the tensioners.
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

By coincidence.. I just bought new chain and sprockets from 24-7bikes here...
Cost about the same (99.95 + postage). Looks to be good quality to me but have to see how long it lasts.

My problem now is that I don't have a chain breaker/riveter, so I'm either going to have to buy one or take the bike to a local dealer. I've seen 'cheap' chain tools for about £35 here... but maybe it's crap or there's a better option?

Chris
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi Chris,

The chain breaker you've listed looks fine to me, an almost exact replica of my mates expensive one, just no moulded box!

Might buy one of them myself.

Only other alternative might be to look rounf Rufforth or Newark auto jumbles.

Graeme.
dookie

Post by dookie »

Its possible to remove and install a chain on a storm without splitting it :D
There was a time i used to care
fishface

Post by fishface »

dookie wrote:Its possible to remove and install a chain on a storm without splitting it :D
this will be good go on then tell us the easy way to do it ??? :lol:
dookie

Post by dookie »

You have to remove the footpeg bracket of the swingarm and then hey presto its off , believe me ive done it :)
tosh23

Post by tosh23 »

thanks guys you have just saved me £36 just for asking on here :D :D .
I'm going to go with the £26 ch tensioners and the oil filter at £7.25.
I was just wondering why would Honda main dealers recommend a semi synthetic oil for the storm instead on fully synthetic ?
Anyway thanks again :D .
dookie

Post by dookie »

Because a lot of fully synths contain slip enhancers that bugger up bikes wet clutches and semi is plentyi good enough
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

RedStormV wrote:Hi Chris,

The chain breaker you've listed looks fine to me, an almost exact replica of my mates expensive one, just no moulded box!

Might buy one of them myself.

Only other alternative might be to look rounf Rufforth or Newark auto jumbles.

Graeme.
Thanks Graeme, based on that I just bought one. It would cost me near that anyway if I took it to a dealer for the job.

Chris
adfski

Post by adfski »

dookie wrote:You have to remove the footpeg bracket of the swingarm and then hey presto its off , believe me ive done it :)
Fair play - that is pretty cool! (just had a look at the bike to confirm it) Funny how really obvious stuff can elude you sometimes! :roll:
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
RedStormV

Post by RedStormV »

dookie wrote:Its possible to remove and install a chain on a storm without splitting it :D
Dont dispute the above and can imagine situations where you might want or need to.

However, I've not bought a chain recently that came ready riveted - think last time was early 80's for GT125 - maybe it's just my supplier?

Job's a lot easier with riveter anyhow, just keep checking you still have free play on the rollers as you tighten the rivet link up. It's easy to just wind away then find it's solid or to over tighten with the same end result.

IMO a good investment

HTH
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

On my last bike, daytona1000/4, i cut old chain off with angle grinder,and riveted new chain with ball pein hammer,holding small block of steel behind. (blacksmith/welder to trade ) :lol: A bit of a rough way to do the job i suppose,but worked perfect, head rivited over no probs. Im sure there was a steel plate with pin cut-outs to fit inbetween, then remove after rivitting,to prevent it being too tight.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Think the only prob i had was getting the side plate on far enough to leave enough to rivvet over. Im sure i modified an old broken G-clamp to do it.