oil......

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chuxsta

oil......

Post by chuxsta »

all my previous bikes the only time i have put oil in the engine is when i have changed the oil n filter.
the level has never changed...

should this be the same on Vtwins?
i noticed the other week that when the bike was on the paddock stands and level the oil level was well below the low marker on the crank case.

it took nearly a litre to put it just below the max marker..

and already its back down to just above the low marker...
there is no leaks coming from any where...
is this normal?
lee67

Post by lee67 »

NO!!..its got to be burning oil m8 if theres no visible leaks..mine didnt use a drop between oil changes
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

lee67 wrote:NO!!..its got to be burning oil m8 if theres no visible leaks..mine didnt use a drop between oil changes
thats what i thought... so if its burning oil what next?

i have tried talking to her.. even treated her to a full over body wax n tickle at the rear end..
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Chuxsta said
i noticed the other week that when the bike was on the paddock stands and level the oil level was well below the low marker on the crank case.
Did I understand this line right?
You measure the oil on a paddock stand?
If that is the case you will burn oil cause the gear box will have too much in it.
Only measure the oil when the engine is warm and on a flat level surface. Keep both wheels on the ground and just pull the bike vertical to its balance point. Have a gander through the spy window and check to see if the oil is between the markers then.

Sorry if I miss understood and I'm teaching granny to suck eggs :?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Pete.L wrote:Chuxsta said
If that is the case you will burn oil cause the gear box will have too much in it.
Only measure the oil when the engine is warm and on a flat level surface. Keep both wheels on the ground and just pull the bike vertical to its balance point. Have a gander through the spy window and check to see if the oil is between the markers then.

Pete.l
i checked it while on front and rear stands. and to confirm my readings in case it wasn't level on the stands i also had it on level ground with out stands and had some one hold it upright.. the readings were exactly the same.
dookie

Post by dookie »

Mines on 23500m and aint used a drop in the 8500m i have done :D
There was a time i used to care
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

well i have no idea what gunk they guy before was using so im gonna do a filter n oil change and get the CCTs done one of the weekends coming up n see how the oil situation is after that
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

chuxsta wrote:
Pete.L wrote:Chuxsta said

Pete.l
i checked it while on front and rear stands. and to confirm my readings in case it wasn't level on the stands i also had it on level ground with out stands and had some one hold it upright.. the readings were exactly the same.
Cool! Now I understand. (I didn't want to accuse anyone of not checking the oil correctly :wink: )
Valve seals might be a bit weak. A few do use a bit of oil. Another place to look is inside the air box. A lot of high revving can cause it travel up the breather pipes and into the air box it then drains down through the carbs and gets burnt.
A compression test would be your best bet, it would soon tell you if you have a major problem or not.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal