What to do?? Fit a standard filter or do I fit a Dyno Jet ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Taz69

What to do?? Fit a standard filter or do I fit a Dyno Jet ?

Post by Taz69 »

Hi all,

Just realised that my storm has a K&N Air Filter fitted and I am putting on a pair of MIG High Level cans, so I am going to need to do something sharpish.

Do I stick a Honda Air Filter in there instead or should I fit a Dyno Jet kit or is a Factory Pro Kit available in this country ?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Mark
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

The K&N should be fine with a pair of aftermarket exahausts.

If you decide to fit a stage one kit you'll probably need to have it run on a dyno bed after and you may need to fit a standard filter.

I fitted a pair of high level carbon can co exhausts to my storm with a K&N & a stage on kit. I then took it for a dyno run to help sort out any air/fuel glitches and see what power/torque it was making :twisted:

At first the bike was fine but after repeated running it did develop an air box cough at low RPM. After I sold the bike (to Lee67 off here) he changed the K&N filter to an OE one. This seemed to cure the cough.

If you go for the stage one set up + zorts + K&N yours might be fine. If it starts to cough try changing the filter. Oh, you'll get improved MPG too if its done correctly.

Dunno about the factory pro kit.

HTH.

John
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Hi chap, I have took the cheaper option at the mo due to cashflow so I have purchased a Stock filter from Fowlers for £24 ish, just so I won't put a hole in the piston etc, then will look at Dynojet kit etc later on.

Thanks
Mark
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I am running custom cans with BMC air filter, runs absolutely perfect. My advice is to try out the zorsts with both filters, if it feels good it probably is good. If you have the spare cash a dyno run is well worth the effort and cash though.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Hi mate, thanks for the advice, I did have Blue Flame twin ports on it and it was running rough with the K&N so thats why I thought I would try the stock air filter with the MIG's which do sound very nice indeed until I have the spare cash for a Dyno Kit, at the moment work is slow and my 16yr old Daughter needs some clothing for her moped having now passed her CBT.

Regards

Mark
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

exactly same problem with my storm. I have MIG concepts fitted and a new standard air filter. I get plenty grunt all through rev range when cold, lot of popping on the overrun, but when warm / hot, i can only get it up to about 4-5000 revs after which it doesnt run well at all and popps and backfires through the cans. I was wondering whether to get a K&N filter to even out the breathing both sides of the engine, but think i might stick with the standard filter and get it rolling roaded to alter the jet sizes and improve the fueling. I just want it to run ok all the time and pull up to the red line, not after out and out power.
Would be good to hear how you get on ..
Anybody else have any advise / experience with these mods ..

Geordie
Taz69

Post by Taz69 »

Hi all,

To add to what Geordie has asked about, is there a stock setting the idle, mixture screws should be set to etc,

Mark
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

yeah I think your right, but there is a school of thought that if you enable the gases to escape easier then you need to allow more to be able to get into the c chamber, more air then needs more fuel. Ultimately I suppose, what should be done is camshaft duration / overlap, etc etc be altered to suit the new breathing characteristics / pressures before all will run correctly. In practice id just settle for some mods that would make the thing run and keep the loud pipes, sounds like a caged king kong ... :lol:

Really dont want to spend money on a dyno run and them not manage to set it up right. Any other mods that would make the dyno setup more successful / reliable is what im after ..
dookie

Post by dookie »

When i take the baffles out of my fuel exhausts you can feel a nice power increase which i got comfirmed the other week on my mates dyno , it gave an extra 4bhp and 4lbs foot of torque.
There was a time i used to care
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

There was no way i could have gone back to standard on my Storm. The power loss was extremely noticeable. Cans with no baffles need greater air feed but depending on the can and link pipe combo + quality of air filter etc they need to be set up.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'