tyre repairs..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chuxsta

tyre repairs..

Post by chuxsta »

when it rains it poors as they say...

when the last thing you need to happen happens.. what do you do...

got home from work and found a wombles 2" wood screw sunk deep in my rear tyre..

have been reading mixed opinions on repairs on bike tyres...

i have at least another 1k miles in my rear and cant afford to change it..

are the mushroom plugs plus plaster on the inner wall good enough to use as a work horse not going above 70mph in a 40...?
pariah

Post by pariah »

being honest chukky, I wouldnt trust a repair on a bike no matter who or what does it.
Wouldnt yh be better of trying to fing some cheap part worn until yh save up some pennys.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Dont know mate,but i remember when i was around 18, running my katana with tyreweld in it for what seems like months :roll:
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

pariah wrote:being honest chukky, I wouldnt trust a repair on a bike no matter who or what does it.
Wouldnt yh be better of trying to fing some cheap part worn until yh save up some pennys.
maybe yeah...
its lesser of 2 evils....
i have sh1t to pay for and need hte over time.. i cant do the overtime with out my bike due to the hours and public transport....

yet i cant afford a new set of shoes on my lady...
the trip to work is only 8 miles there. and 40mph is the limit all the way..
and i always abide officer....

im just thinking a temp, yet professional repair at next to nothing in cost would see me till pay day
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

FirestormMike wrote:I had a screw in one of my tyres a couple of years back, right in the middle. Got it professionally repaired for £20, the bloke who did it and owns the tyre dealers races Gixxers. Had no problems whatsoever with it.
its only gonna be for a few weeks just to get me to work n back..
so no wheelys or burn outs any way cause i cant afford it..
cant even afford the petrol to the cafes n back at the moment..

i just wanted feed back on others that have had temp fixes done..
alan

Post by alan »

my son is a tyre fitter and fixes tyres with the plugs you mention infact theres some kits in my garage it all depends where the damage is on the tyre before they will plug em
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

alan wrote:my son is a tyre fitter and fixes tyres with the plugs you mention infact theres some kits in my garage it all depends where the damage is on the tyre before they will plug em
its just off centre,, about 3" to the right of centre of the tyre in the thick part of the tyre not in a tread groove.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

If I remember rightly Mr Honda say if a tyre is repairs it should be a temporary measure and the speed need to be kept to below 50mph

I was taking to a friend of mine on this subject a bit back apparently its not the plug or patch that’s the problem it’s the fact that the tyre is continually moving when you ride this can brakes the bond around the plug and the patch letting it leak again
pariah

Post by pariah »

Hey Chukky.
If it,s for a short while and yh keep it to a low speed. Why dont yh leave the objects in and fill the tyre wid tyre weld.

All that will happen to the objects is that the heads will wear off and leave the stem imbedded in the rubber and will not wear any further. The tyre weld will then seal any minor leakage points
Wotrh a shot :D :D
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Stuff Tire Weld
if you want to fill the tire use Ultra seal. It's speed rated upto 150mph and recomended by BMW. I 've used it for years and never had a problem. A bottle of it will do both tires and if a major puncture should occur it will do a slow, controlled deflation.
Look up some reports and see what you think
Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

pariah wrote: All that will happen to the objects is that the heads will wear off and leave the stem imbedded in the rubber and will not wear any further.
Wotrh a shot :D :D
Not worth a shot! the nail/screw body will move around as the surface block of the tyre hits the road, expands and contracts due to heat changes of the tyre and tyre deflection due to bumps! The hole will increase in size, causing leaverage on the screw causing yet more damage to the carcass of the tyre reducing structural integrity.

By all means get it repaired by a good quality repairer and you should have no problems :)
pariah

Post by pariah »

you can always borrow my blow up linda and wrap her around yh rim, still has some good milage left in her chukky. As sirch knows, one size fits all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
dookie

Post by dookie »

I had the same a couple of years ago when i first got my storm , put some ultraseal in the tyre went for a quick ride , took the nail out and went for another quick ride and it sealed perfectly for the life of the tyre .
There was a time i used to care
alan

Post by alan »

chuxsta wrote:
alan wrote:my son is a tyre fitter and fixes tyres with the plugs you mention infact theres some kits in my garage it all depends where the damage is on the tyre before they will plug em
its just off centre,, about 3" to the right of centre of the tyre in the thick part of the tyre not in a tread groove.
Should have no probs repairing then if it had been on sidewall then its a new tyre but as others have said put ultraseal in vtrbob has used it for years and swears by it.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

well i took the wheel out to my local bike shop and they plugged it for £10..
was fine till late today when i checked it and after putting some fluid around the hole it was bubbling so i got to get a new set of tyres...