Home made ABBA type paddock stand dimensions and pics

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bikerpiker

Home made ABBA type paddock stand dimensions and pics

Post by bikerpiker »

Wondering if any of you guys can help me here....in the past i made an ABBA type stand for my Daytona ,but gave it away when i sold the bike as it was built for it only :!:

Would really like to make one for the 'storm sometime ,and when using the search facility on here i found some usefull info., namely Stormin Ben posting the sizes etc, bit ideally would like to see a pic or two if poss :roll: Apparently someone on here used to make them and sell them to other members :!:

It says the stand lifts by the engine mounting bolt above the swingarm :?: :?: so thats not the swingarm pivot then,under the plastic caps :?:

Any info or pics much appreciated .

P.s i made this a while back,total cost was about £80 including the plywood , it collapses to about 10" high ,goes up to about 3 feet ,if anybody fancies a go at makin one, let me know and i'll measure it up .

Last edited by bikerpiker on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stevie
warby221

Post by warby221 »

you mean some thing like this
:wink:

not the best of pic’s of it but wasn’t trying to show the stand in it :oops: :oops:

Edit: hello brother Faber may your light stay green and your slag and spatter fall away without a chisel :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by warby221 on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I've got one - I'll take some pics early next week

and yup it fits into the hangers/swing arm mount
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Cheers guys

Warby...id been away from the welding for 14 years ,so welds wouldn't have won any awards for neatness, hand not as steady now , must be the voddy :lol:
It works a treat,sod this goin doon on yer knees if ye dont have to :!:

Wicky,that would be great,thanks .

Was a 2006 post,stormin ben says ......"I have one and it is a top bit of kit, it lifts on the engine mounting bolt ABOVE the swingarm .

Its the "above the swingin arm" bit i dont follow :? .maybe i shouldve pm'd stormin ben ,but i dont see him on too often.
Stevie
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=21
ABBa show the addon kit for removing the swingarm here - using an alternative bolt position to the swingarm pivot (footrest or engine bolt - whatever is nearest and inline).
Chris
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Stevie, the stand you are referring too is like mine, it allows you to remove the swingarm if you wish:-

Chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Many thanks everybody, Chris has sorted me out regarding sizes / pics etc , cheers anyway Wicky, thanks for the offer :)
Stevie
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Sirch Will you stop flashing that pic about that bike is unnaturally clean? :P :P :P :P :P :P
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Cheers Sirch, for the sizes,saved me working it out :D

This is the type i was refering to, ideal for swing arm removal .

got it made, if anybody needs sizes to have a go at makin one, give me a shout and i'll measure it up :!:
Under £20 all in for materials,inc threaded bar ,so cheap enough.

p.s Warby,i told you my welds wern't that pretty, :lol: ,been away from it for 14 years or so :!:

Last edited by bikerpiker on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi Stevie,

Send me dimensions etc matey.

I haven't had a stick in my hand for 22 years and my welds were deffo nothing to crow about then :(

However, I do know men that ken (can) :lol:

Might get one made for Gixxer while I'm at it at that price.

May even be able to 'source' some of the materials from mate who can.

I do like the fact that swing arm is clear to be removed too.

Cheers,

Graeme.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Nae problem RSV ,will pm you details/sizes tomorrow :)

p.s ,that's just a small bit of round unthreaded tube welded next to the nut ,to take up the freeplay in the threads ,also,instead of the long lever to raise/lower,a footbar can be welded on instead :!:

As i read on here earlier,you could poss use 1 stand,but by drilling pivot holes at different heights ,it might do 2 or 3 bikes :!:
Stevie
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Cheers Steve you're a diamond.

Hankie wrote:http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=21
ABBa show the addon kit for removing the swingarm here - using an alternative bolt position to the swingarm pivot (footrest or engine bolt - whatever is nearest and inline).
Chris
Chris, quote from the link you posted:

"The Swing arm removal kit is a universal kit made to work in conjunction with the abba Superbike Stand for removal of the swing arm. You fit this by removing your original foot rest hanger bolt both sides (top or bottom bolt, depending on what is the closest inline with the swing arm pivot) The swing arm removal kit then bolts to the foot rest hanger with the bolt supplied (8mm thread). When this is fitted you can then fit the abba superbike stand to the swing arm removal kit this will then give you full access to the swing arm pivot bolt so the swing arm can be removed."

I could be wrong, but I believe they're making an assumption that there's going to be a substantial bolt point for the foot peg hangers other than the swing arm pivot.
On most bikes, they'd be correct, on Storms at least, as you know, there isn't - at least not nearby or at same / similar height which I would imagine they're intending to be utilised for their adaptors.

I am making an assumption however, never having owned or used an ABBA type stand, that the bolt / pivot height is fairly crucial? and will change from stand to stand as it will from bike to bike?

Therefore if you own, buy or borrow an ABBA for a Storm, I would imagine the adaptors would be no good?

As Stevie has said, it's possible to make the home made stand to fit more than one bike, again although width may also come into it, I'm assuming the bolt height is the issue.

Not trying to p1ss on your fireworks mate, just an observation tis all :oops:

Afterall, you're the engineer here, me, I'm an amateur at most things, but I am enthusiastic :D

Like I said I could be wrong :?

Graeme.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Graeme..you have pm
Also to make adjustable width is easy, same idea as "proper" abba stand :)
Stevie
bikerpiker

abba type paddock stand dimensions

Post by bikerpiker »

A few forum members have pm'd me asking if i still had the sizes for the above stand ,which i have and forwarded :)

Might be handy if i post them on here , if anybody else in the future fancies having a go at making one ...and remember , if ye do have a go, you do at your own risk , im not responsible if yer pride n joy takes a tumble :!:

Its great for removing the swinging arm without any drama :D

Actually it is very stable ,.......so far :wink:

Right , here's the sizes you need..... It sounds a lot ,but if you look at the pics it's very little , £20 worth or so if i remember right :?

2 metres of 50mmx50mm hollow box section.

30cm(12")approx of 1"dia. threaded bar...(prob 20mm or 22 mm dia. would do), and a nut to suit.

15cm (6")of 20mm solid bar....(poss 18mm would do)..... and a 17mm socket to weld on the very end. (drill your hole centre 12cm from the end of the socket,for a 5 or 6mm pin/bolt etc). This bar turns when raising/lowering. (or wait till very end before drilling this, that way you can position the stand beforehand).

4 0r 5 inches of bar/tube,... to be welded on to the end of threaded bar(anything really,just to turn it with)

2 @ 20cm (8")or so,to weld on to bottom of frame as stabilisers.(again anything will just about do )
------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s, i welded in the small piece of round tubing, to take up the freeplay in the nut threads, and i just cut the box section at an angle as in the pic. Also cos it was a friggin pain filing out two 1"holes This way ,you only need to file out one hole.

Uprights are 2 @ 60cm, with centre of holes 53cm from the very bottom of the stand.
The Horizontal box section is 52cm long. (inside size of stand).

Remember, you can either use a long handpole for leverage ,like i did(1 hand so easy to lift)...,or weld on a footbar as some others have done.

If using a long removable handpole, you could make that box section upright a bit longer than 60cm,for the pole to fit in, or use a reducer like i did, depending on the handle you use.

2 metres of steel box section will still be enough for the 3 sections of stand.

pps ,there is enough room to use stand when bike side-stand is down, but only just,...best to weld the stabilisers on to the OUTSIDE of the stand, that way you will have 20mm or so of clearance between the bike side stand, and the abba stand.

IMPORTANT- inside size of stand is 52cm...but with these types of stand you have to TIGHTEN IN QUITE HARD ,so the uprights will spread,but when stand removed,will return to 52cms.

Best of luck if anyone goes ahead :)

Last edited by bikerpiker on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stevie
firestarter1977

Post by firestarter1977 »

i asked for the sizes too, many thanks , am a welder by trade so it wont be a prob. Anyone made anything for lifting the front end?