Can someone explain the clutch lock problem to me?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Ratty

Can someone explain the clutch lock problem to me?

Post by Ratty »

Evening all. Had my hands full with other stuff lately but have decided to put this weekend aside just for the storm, might even have a bimble up Matlock if the weather's not sh!te again (dream on).

As well as fitting the re-built head and home-made manual CCT I've decided to sort out a couple of other things that are bothering me while I'm at it.

Anyway, the main one being the damn clutch locking up BADLY every time I attempt an 'energetic' take off, stopping the bike dead (and making me look a tit!).

I've trawled the threads and from what I can gather it's because the clutch springs are too weak and to remedy this I need to fit stronger springs (EBC's/Barnetts etc). But why would this help? surely if the standard springs are too weak the clutch would slip MORE?

Or have I missed something?

Or am I just having a 'thick' moment?

Ratty

P.S Timbo. Ain't had a chance to weight that thing yet, headlight cost me just under £7 to send and it doesn't weight anywhere near as much as your item so I would guess a tenner minimum for yours.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

I’ve had a similar problem when trying to do high revs starts around 6k
Dose it sounds like the chain jumping the front sprockets/ no matter how you feed the clutch out a banging sound????
If so it’s the clutch plates bouncing
Changing the spring’s controls it so im told changed mine a bit back but to tell you the truth I was so embarrass the last time it did it I haven’t bothered since just in case :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Just found a much more informative thread since posting. Going to do all three things suggested.

Firstly take the front sprocket guard off, remove the clutch plunger and clean all the nasty shite off it.

If that doesn't improve things, remove the clutch cover and inspect the clutch basket for notches which the discs could be catching on. If it looks bad file them smooth.

Reakon I've got a spare clutch basket incase this one's too mullered.

If that doesn't help fit better springs.

It's just a bitch that you have to drain the coolant every time you take the clutch cover off, that's just silly.
genisis

Post by genisis »

I have fitted the EBC heavy duty clutch springs to my Storm. It was one of the 1st things i did. i read somewhere it helped with the clutch rattle (it didn't)
Mine doesn't lock up at 5-6k instead it lets go instead. Pulled a couple of sh1t your pants wheelies where i have reved the biked to 5k and it's jumped foward. i don't tend to do it anymore although i did fix a leaky slave gasket the other day.
Stu

Post by Stu »

genisis wrote:I have fitted the EBC heavy duty clutch springs to my Storm. It was one of the 1st things i did. i read somewhere it helped with the clutch rattle (it didn't)
Mine doesn't lock up at 5-6k instead it lets go instead. Pulled a couple of sh1t your pants wheelies where i have reved the biked to 5k and it's jumped foward. i don't tend to do it anymore although i did fix a leaky slave gasket the other day.
Genisis - did you used to be a member of wiltshire riders?

I ve the problem but not resolved it yet but has made me look a tit (more than normal) - then again haven't sorted the spongy clutch either so a bit behind on maintenance at the moment so haven't ridden
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox »

Got the exact same problem with mine,

it really puts you off trying to get flyer on some-one,if the problem kicks in,it can leave you lookin like a right w**ker,almost dropped it a couple of times through this.

Hope someone got a solution,gonna start with springs,may even give em an extra stretch for good measure.........only kidding.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

This problem definitely stops you getting a decent drag strip launch- best I've ever managed was a measly 11.6.
I reckon that with the clutch working properly I can either:
1. scrape a 10. something, or
2. Bugger the clutch trying.

Currently, apart from dropping the clutch early and using the torque to get away in 1st the only entertainment value is the huuuuuuuge involuntary wheelie to entertain the crowds.

Anyone tried a clutch off something else?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
genisis

Post by genisis »

Hi Stu, Still a memeber of Wiltshire riders :) just not very active at the moment. New born here and all. hopeing to get to the meet on Sunday.

I was chatting to to someone about the 5k clutch slipping thing the other day and he seems to think he has the same problem on his ducati. Maybe it's a V-Twin thing?
JohnnyB

Re: Can someone explain the clutch lock problem to me?

Post by JohnnyB »

Just stumbled over this thread. I get exactly the same thing on my Storm. My solution has been not to do fast starts on revs and use torque instead. Now I've read this I'm going to have a look my plunger & clutch basket. thanks!