any brakes guru's out there?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
METALDAN

any brakes guru's out there?

Post by METALDAN »

HEEEEEEELLLPPP, AGAIIIN.

I had a sticking piston in front left caliper so decided to overhaul them both, so i stripped both caliper, replaced the seals all round, bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed f'kin bleed. no joy. boot was perished by brake lever, so i overhauled the master cyclinder today, bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed f'kin bleed. i'm so sick of this now, as well as the taste of brake fluid, anyone any ideas, i've spent a small fortune on this and on tools, bleeding kits etc :mad2 :mad2 :mad2 :mad2
Put me in an empty room with a brick and i'll either break it, lose it or hurt myself on it!!!
ImageImage
Stratman

Re: any brakes guru's out there?

Post by Stratman »

Either buy a MityVac, or a syringe which can pull the fluid through, or just keep pumping and it will work eventually, buit I had the same problem. Loads of threads about this so try a search.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Right! It's 99% certain you've got air trapped at the master cylinder.
Here's what to do. First make sure you've bled the calipers as much as possible, then get LOTS of rag or kitchen towel and hold it under the banjo bolt at the master.
Then, crack the banjo bolt a VERY small amount, and slowly pull the lever in watching for the bubbles that will almost certainly be coming out.
Once the lever is back to the bar, tighten the banjo up again and ONLY then release the lever!!!!
And repeat until you have a firm lever. Remember- what ever you do, don't release the lever until you have done the banjo bolt up eacch time.
Hope this is of some help, let us know how you get on.
Chris.
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

all good advice, another way that i use needs you to be a bit dextrose, put pipes on both nipples, pull lever in towards the bar, whilst keeping pressure on crack one of the bleed nipples then tighten whilst lever is still pulled to the bar, release lever slowly, then repeat cracking alternate bleed nipples, always return lever under control and keep eye on fluid, once fluid clear coming out pump lever to extend the pistons.
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

took me about an hour of solid pumpin the the lever and releaseing the bleed nipple last time i changed to braided hoses, its a wombles of a job and it feels like your gettin nowhere but you will get there in the end
kevg

Post by kevg »

Don't crack the bleed nipples open to far, you can draw air in through the threads, also adding a bit of copper grease to the threads will help seal them and stop this.

put a tie wrap round the grip and brake leaver to hold it open/on overnight, this might help to get the last of the air out of the master cylinder and the banjo bolt at the top.

other than that lots of pumping....(of the lever)
cheerz

kev
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Have a look here (soz, cant be arsed to cut'n'paste it).:oops:

It shouldn't take that long to sort it out.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
pariah

Post by pariah »

:D :D :D
Do what I did mate.New brake fluid front and rear, clutch fluid, K&N air filter thrown in free of charge . New iridium plugs ..... And all for the tiny old sum of 25 Pounds..
I see your in Telford, i,m in Kidderminster and this guys mobile. :thumbup: :thumbup: