Intresting pics of a real workshop

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jazzscot

Intresting pics of a real workshop

Post by Jazzscot »

Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
warby221

Re: Intresting pics of a real workshop

Post by warby221 »

That brings back some memories
I served my time and worked at Vickers shipbuilding in barrow for 14 years
Looked just the same
And they got it right when they said serving your apprenticeship was time served :sad2 :sad2
It was just like a prison same machines and a right sh*t hole :mad2 :mad2
Best thing that ever happened to me was when I was made redundant :wave: :wave: :wave:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

I was really impressed with the scale of everything, feckin huge man
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

WOW!
Now that's what I call heavy duty.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
kevg

Post by kevg »

warby221 wrote:That brings back some memories
I served my time and worked at Vickers shipbuilding in barrow for 14 years
Looked just the same
And they got it right when they said serving your apprenticeship was time served :sad2 :sad2
It was just like a prison same machines and a right sh*t hole :mad2 :mad2
Best thing that ever happened to me was when I was made redundant :wave: :wave: :wave:
that takes me back to my work as well, i spent 17 years in Govan Shipbuilders (1985 - 2003 ish), which became Kvaerner and then Marconi Marine and finally BAE systems, i worked in Yarrows on the type 23 frigates and also Vickers for 6 months on HMS Ocean after it left Govan. i was a mechy fitter and spent a year of my apprenticeship in the machine shop, working in making engine holding down bolts etc, i also spent about 6 or 7 months in the engine squad on the ships, assembling a couple of engines that size, they weighed 1000 tonnes each, the crank shaft was 100 tonnes and the pistons were about 2 1/2 feet in diameter, the engine produced 26,000 bhp or there abouts. they were manufactured in Clark Kincaides in Greenock, that company was bought over and asset stripped by Kvaerner because they wanted the rights to make the engines that Kincaides owned.

the yards seem to be taking off again,. getting plenty of apprentices in again but they don't do a proper apprenticeship any more, i did 4 years with day release, they do blocks at college and only three years if they are lucky, they don't learn as much and their heeds are all full of broken bottles these days, they don't really care much, Clyde built used to mean something in the world, it did to me;( i had plenty of practice drinking to in the yard... :wink:) but after their time is out you see a big change in some of them, they stop being wee boys and mature a bit, lol.

ho hum, i must be getting old......
cheerz

kev
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Brilliant link, good find :thumbup:

Chris.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Can you imagine the field day health and safety would have in those factories today!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The flamecutters look like fun! Asbestos boots required :eek2

How do those engines compare to Paxmans? I grew up next to the factory in Colchester, and quite a few classmates who did well at metal work and TD went onto work there.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

I bet they could make some wicked CCT's!!
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Well Kev
Here’s a tail that you’ll probably appreciate from when I was an apprentice
I was using an old hydraulic water powered press probably from the 30’s/40’s
Pressing out some parts for a job and you had to get your head in to such a position to see when it was done that a load of stagnant stale hydraulic water would p*ss out on your head. :mad2 :mad2 :mad2
I was swearing my head off at it when I noticed a group of jap’s that were on a walk a round with some of the bosses looking amazed at the fact that we still used machines that they considered museum pieces
And probably me jumping up and down :wtf:

With out any hesitation my journeyman walks up to them and in a sarcastic voice says
Take a f*cking good look coz you’ll never have one of them in Japan
That’s a water cooled plater there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loved the old guys I worked with they just didn’t give a f*uck
Best thing about the place was the daft old sod’s
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

eeeeeyyy, when I wor lad!
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
kevg

Post by kevg »

Yup, everyone was a comedian, we had one time there was a big walk round from some industry big wigs, can't remember why, maybe Malcolm Rifkin or some other politicians, anyway, i was standing on deck of one of the boats on the slips and saw the VIP party coming across the yard, i turned round to look the other way and spotted three of my squad doing the highland fling across the deck, not a care in the world. when one of them turned round he had the butt cut out his boiler suit and nea clothes on underneath.

Or the Thursday curry day in the canteen...this was a special one as the chief Gary Rhodes was making it, he was serving his concoction and one of the old bears who is a die hard mince and tatties man says to him, " None of yer fancy shite pal, just fill ma fukin' plate up", the afore mentioned Mr Rhodes face was a picture, they edited that bit out of the tv program.

Plenty of near death experiences as well, must have been about three deaths a year in the yard when i started, that kind of reflects the health and safety side of it at the time, nothing had really changed when i left, just seemed to be less guys getting killed. falling down holes in the dark or falling from heights, or being crushed by steelwork was always a good ones, when i was walking along staging poles 60 feet up with out a harness which weren't used by anyone you never even thought about falling, you just got on and did your job.

The odd attempted murder with heavy things being thrown off the ships at managers that weren't liked, lol.

The general good mood of everyone no matter how bad the situation, the yard was nearly closed or being sold every few years when i was there but is still surviving
cheerz

kev
pariah

Post by pariah »

Ahhh, when things were actually made in Britian and not the peoples Republic of :D :D :D :D :D :D
METALDAN

Post by METALDAN »

The guy in the 5th picture is thinking "my riveter is never gonna fit that link" :lol:
Put me in an empty room with a brick and i'll either break it, lose it or hurt myself on it!!!
ImageImage