Quick action throttle

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
storminateacup

Quick action throttle

Post by storminateacup »

I want to fit a quick action throttle to FS someone on here suggested the RC 45 throttle. David Silver sent me a list of the parts how many of these bits do I need are any interchangeable ?

Under throttle housing to order from Honda @£21.18

Top throttle housing in stock @£10.00

Fixing screws to order @£0.34 each

Throttle tube to order @£16.33

Postage £4.95
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
gilson

Re: Quick action throttle

Post by gilson »

yep, just the tube...
No bike (yet).
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

****Thread Hijack alert*****
Sorry for the hijack, but I've been thinking about this myself.
I'm more inclined towards a variable cam one, where the initial part has a slower action, similar to standard, then the last bit of rotation opens it up quicker than standard.
That way, when you want full power it's there without a second handful, but you don't kangaroo away form lights and in traffic, and especially in slippery conditions....

I know that some KTM's have this as standard, and you can get mx throttles which do something similar.
Anyone got any experience of these?

And here's a firm in the US offering discounts until Xmas...

http://www.g2ergo.com/

(sorry, still can't do the clicky thing)
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

RC45 tube is a simple install (had one for a couple of years in my VTR). If you want shorter yet, you can get an HRC 1/6 turn tube tah also fits into the stock housing but you need to use up ALL available slack in the system (slightly longer replacement cables would be the ideal). This is what I am currently running in mine BTW

cheers
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
gilson

Post by gilson »

mik_str wrote:RC45 tube is a simple install (had one for a couple of years in my VTR). If you want shorter yet, you can get an HRC 1/6 turn tube tah also fits into the stock housing but you need to use up ALL available slack in the system (slightly longer replacement cables would be the ideal). This is what I am currently running in mine BTW

cheers
All true. I've got a HRC one on my track bike. This one and the RC45 fit straight in to the existing system housing. However, as Mick says, you need to adjust the cables and the lower one is a right bitch to get at and adjust....

I haven't used the new throttle on the track yet but it feels extreme. On the road this would be too extreme IMHO..
No bike (yet).
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Tube ordered will report :cool2
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I have been using the HRC tube all summer (street riding, no track) and have had not issues with it at all (and my bike has a light flywheel and other mods so response is RIGHT NOW!). The only slight inconvenience relates to having to exercise some care when going full-lock (and only full-lock) to the left as the cable tightens up a bit. You do have to exercise some finesse in low-speed riding but that just helps to fine-tune my riding skills.... All in all I have no regrets and really like the quick response :)
gilson

Post by gilson »

mik_str wrote:I have been using the HRC tube all summer (street riding, no track) and have had not issues with it at all (and my bike has a light flywheel and other mods so response is RIGHT NOW!). The only slight inconvenience relates to having to exercise some care when going full-lock (and only full-lock) to the left as the cable tightens up a bit. You do have to exercise some finesse in low-speed riding but that just helps to fine-tune my riding skills.... All in all I have no regrets and really like the quick response :)
you must have a very talented right hand:)
No bike (yet).
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Keep it civil now, lol
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I know just what you mean,
one little tremmer and it just shoots off all on it's own. :oops: :oops:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

boys, boys, ..... remain calm, lol
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

New throttle tube arrived and fitted not without some difficulty, would have been easier if cables were a bit longer. With bars on full right lock I just managed to get the old tube off change the cables over and get the new one back on. Feels much better I can now manage full throttle without a second bite.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tony.mon wrote:****Thread Hijack alert*****
Sorry for the hijack, but I've been thinking about this myself.
I'm more inclined towards a variable cam one, where the initial part has a slower action, similar to standard, then the last bit of rotation opens it up quicker than standard.
That way, when you want full power it's there without a second handful, but you don't kangaroo away form lights and in traffic, and especially in slippery conditions....

I know that some KTM's have this as standard, and you can get mx throttles which do something similar.
Anyone got any experience of these?
Now it might be sad, I suppose, but I woke up last night thinking about this idea, and something I hadn't considered is this:
Because it's a push-pull throttle (two cables) you have to have equal tension/slack on both sides.
Now if one side (twistgrip end) has an unequal cam, you'd have to have either more slack in the cables or an unequal but opposite pulley at the carb end.

Or just convert it to pull only with a spring return, I suppose.

Any ideas, or has anyone done this?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

mik_str wrote:RC45 tube is a simple install (had one for a couple of years in my VTR). If you want shorter yet, you can get an HRC 1/6 turn tube tah also fits into the stock housing but you need to use up ALL available slack in the system (slightly longer replacement cables would be the ideal). This is what I am currently running in mine BTW

cheers
What about the SP1 (RC51) Throttle tube - any advantage...?
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

storminateacup wrote: the RC 45 throttle. David Silver sent me a list of the parts

Throttle tube to order @£16.33

Postage £4.95

dont spose anyone has a part number for this item????????? :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.