Regulator / Rectify Query

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MarkHunt

Regulator / Rectify Query

Post by MarkHunt »

Hi All,

I've read the posts about updating the regulator / rectifier on the Firestorm and mines currently running it's 2nd standard one (in 11 years ownership).
I wondered (being slightly lazy) wether the later Honda regulators were better from a design point of view and were compatible with the VTR, i.e fitted straight on or wether I should bite the bullet and get an R6 one or such like.

I also noted on the weblink which details how to do fit the R6 reg that it recommends soldering the ends of the wires before crimping into the female spades, I'm not familar with this, but I assume it means running some solder down the end of the wires, so you create a soldered tip to each wire, is this right ?.

Thanks for any replies as usual.

regards

Marky Mark
benny hedges

Re: Regulator / Rectify Query

Post by benny hedges »

it's called 'tinning'the wire, and yes, just apply some resin cored solder to the wire.
tip - use the solder iron to apply heat, not solder.
melt the solder into the hot wire, not on the tip of the solder iron.
gas solder irons are ace in case you havent got one - tenner from maplins!

tinning the wire will help it carry a higher current, stops individual strands corroding and will give you a better crimp - better job all round.

dunno about later honda rr's, if people have tried and tested the r6 rr then that's the way to go imo.

changed the rr on my 750 after killing 2 batteries, only to find it was the genny coil that was faulty.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Mark,
From what I have seen the later Honda R/R's for VTR now have heatsink and fins, so compared to the old style [encapsulated] R/R, it should now avoid the thermal overload which is the main problem.

I did see a newer Honda R/R on e-bay some months ago, and one of the Forum members bought that and confirmed it was a simple plug in conversion, so Ideal solution if you are feeling lazy.

Rather than cut & re fit new female terminals[solder or crimp], I removed the standard terminals from the Honda plug and the covered them in heatshrink [to prevent short circuit] and fitted to the new R/R without a plug, that is the most reliable option.
AMcQ
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I fitted a newer finned version from flea bay. It was of German origin. Straight in plug and play (couldnt be assed with the messing about) .Paid about 38 quid for it. Still going strong with Zipper :D
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I bought a finned aftermarket one rather than fiddle with the R6 one and its been fine since.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

balls

Post by balls »

Having just done the r6 swap I would go for it I just eased out the conectors from the block its so simple had I not blown a fuse it would have only taken a hour to do and it goes in like the oem one . Plus if you have to replace the battery any time put a ytx 14 in it same price fits perfect since I have done the mods its transformed the starting performance 1st touch of the starter and she is off even on a cold day like today :thumbup:
MarkHunt

Post by MarkHunt »

Smart lads thanks for all the help as usual, you're the first stop when I have a query on me Storm, First Class.

Marky Mark
Collywog19

Post by Collywog19 »

I put a r6/r1 one on mine. I reccomend the change.

Col
Bikes ftw!
Collywog19

Post by Collywog19 »

Yeh man, wombles it by cct! :(

New motor in and back on the road. Bloody loving it, even in this weather hehe!

Gonna repair old motor yey! And got a few things planned for the VTR :)

Hows you ?
Bikes ftw!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

FirestormMike wrote:
Collywog19 wrote:
As you've probably read, the SP's gone (to a good home) and I've bought another storm in the fastest colour.

Turncoat :lol:
Stevie