K&N Air Filter

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chris1bev

K&N Air Filter

Post by chris1bev »

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if it's worth buying a K&N air filter and if so would i have to do anything to the carbs or can i buy it and stick it straight in....i'm not mehcanically minded at all and i couldn't remember if someone said i had to get something done to the bike if a stuck the K&N in???

Also i'm doing a Charity Road trip in August for 4 days and i will have the chance to hurtle around the Nurbergring, i'm doing a service on my bike (oil filter, oil, air filter, spark plugs, manual tensioners, brake pads) at the moment, is there anything else i can do to her before i take the trip??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
chris1bev

Re: K&N Air Filter

Post by chris1bev »

I was thinking of getting my tyres changed just before i go anyhow......so would you recommend sticking with the standard air filter then????
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

LOL....I look forward to meeting them!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Let's get this party started.....

i use a K&N, but combine it with straight-through ex's and a jet kit, all set up on H&M racing's dyno. Oh, yes, and the two long bellmouths and an ignition advancer.
No fuelling issues now!

But I would have thought that if you run std ex's and just change the air filter it'll upset the fuelling a bit, until/unless it's reset on a dyno.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Am I right in thinking you can improve mpg by changing the air filter? Does it have to be in combo with a certain type of exhaust?
Collywog19

Post by Collywog19 »

Ive got k and n , dyno jet kit and open cans on my vtr, runs mint!

Col
Bikes ftw!
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

This will show my bright side but what is a Dyno Jet??
headgear

Post by headgear »

chris1bev wrote:This will show my bright side but what is a Dyno Jet??

Erm the cousin of dyno Rod. :oops:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's a way of tailoring the jetting and needles in the carbs so that you get more power.
See:
http://www.dynojet.co.uk/

If you want a freer-breathing engine with less restrictive (but usually louder) cans and a filter, the jetting is best adjusted to take into account the engine's changed needs.
This keeps the fuel/air mixture (stoichiometric ratio) correct. You get more top-end power and torque, typically 5-10 BHP. Noticeable, but not earth-shattering.

The kits come with a "recommended" setup tailored for your bike, but you can then fine-tune the results on a rolling road, or "dyno".
That, with a good operator/fitter, result in the best performance you can get from your engine.

You can also tune for better fuel economy, but with a Firestorm you might as well forget it and buy a CG125 as a spare. You'll never get much more miles/gallon than everyone else- about 30mpg.

Why not find someone locally who's had it done and ride both bikes back-to-back?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I had one on my Storm. It also had a jet kit fitted & pipes.

I never had an issue with the setup-the bike always had an airbox cough from day one.

I know when Lee67 got the bike off me after he swap the filter back to an OE one. He did'nt like the K&N setup at all-I'm sure he'll be along at somepoint to digress more :thumbup:

I've just had one on my Buell with no issues either-as long as it was kept clean/oilded it worked A1. Plus I did'nt have to buy a new filter come service time (which is every 1500-2000 miles on a Buell 8O)

Each to there own I suppose :thumbup: Up to you sir :D
SP1's rock!