Vtr Starting problems

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
genisis

Vtr Starting problems

Post by genisis »

Hi, My mates had a firestorm for about 4months and it's been hassle free.
however it when he goes to start it now it keeps turning over but won't fire and eventually acts like the batteries dead.

So far we have checked the battery which appears to be fine and he has been on a slow charge very night but still has the same problems.

when the bike does start it runs fine until he has to start it again :)

Any ideas what we should check next

Many Thanks
Matthew
kevg

Re: Vtr Starting problems

Post by kevg »

I'd check the regulator/rectifier which is under the body work below the seat on the right hand side of the bike, next to the rear brake reservoir, it might not be charging the battery correctly once you can get it started
cheerz

kev
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

Check you don't have a high resistance connection with the starter motor (might feel hot when attempting to start). I'd take it off and clean it up anyway. Check your frame ground too (your battery tender will connect direct to battery terminals and won't notice any difference, but normal loads from the bike wiring will).
balls

Post by balls »

that sounds very much like mine when the r/r went tits up have a look at the r/r but also check the charge rate at the battery should be around 14.5 v , when mine went it was only putting out 11.3 get a r6 / r1 rr as the honda one will fail :D
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Also check the basic things like plugs etc, has he had it serviced since he got it?

Bit extreme but this is what can happen to the older Honda regulators
Ride Safe
Phil
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It might be the Invisible Touch of salty sea air, Genisis, if your Home's by the Sea
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
genisis

Post by genisis »

Thanks for the replys
so far we have checked the battery is charge and it's fine at about 14ish volts
i did clean the startmoter lead but that hasn't made much difference and checke the main earth lead from the battery to the frame,

I had considured it to be the RR is there any other signs that would suggest it is that even if the battery is charging okay once started?

and it hasn't been serviced but we have checked the air filters plugs etc and they all seem fine.

Regards
Matthew
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

If all yours leads have checked out and the bike is charging ,as you say, it's most likely a tired old battery. They can often give you a good voltage reading but it's thier discharge characteristics which change over time and they just don't have the poke they used to give out.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
genisis

Post by genisis »

hehe i keep telling him that but it just won't listen :)

doesn't help that his dad keeps telling him to leave it be .

i will let him know and if i have to drag him to the garage myself to get a new one :)

i'll let you know how we get on

Regards
Matthew
r4vtr

Post by r4vtr »

had the same prob with mine not long ago new battery sorted it out
97 model ,black, plus 2 rear sprocket ,double bubble screen ,rentec sports rack.......much more to come
Beast

Post by Beast »

Also having the same problem and i have checked everything.
Tried two brand new battery's but to no avail, i'm pulling out my hair along with my local garage. :(

As soon as a booster pack is connected she fires up straight away!
Any ideas on what else to check?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Matthew:
Hope you find that fixes it.

Beast:
To summarise above info, known weak points on the Storm include the connection where the starter cable from the solenoid (under the seat cover, LH side) is bolted on to the starter motor.
Because all the crap form the front wheel is thrown onto it, the bolt corrodes, then won't pass enough current.
Often the bolt starts to melt; this makes the nut seem tight but it isn't.

An easy check:

Get a length of high-amp cable (a bit of cooker earth lead will do) and connect it securely between the relay and the starter motor, piggybacking the original lead.
If the bike now starts easier, then you've got a cable on it's way out.

The bolt sticking out of the starter motor is meant to be insulated form the body of the starter by some fibre sleeves and washers. if they've deteriorated, this, too gives the same symptoms.
See other threads for more details.

If it ain't the battery, it's the lead or the starter motor, pound to a penny. I've not heard of a relay failing, but it's worth checking all of the connections that end too, of course.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Beast, following on from Tony's suggestions, if you get no joy from those this link may be worth looking at:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... it=starter

Chris.
Beast

Post by Beast »

Many thanks for the link and info, will look into it.

Thought about the starter idle gear as i can bump and start her on a steep hill but when i add a boost starter to the battery she fires up with no problems.

So really wondering if its a corroded wire somewhere thats not getting enough power through.

Last thing i was going to check yesterday but didnt get around to it was the Ignition Pulse Generator... the connecting plug sure looks in a little state sitting tight behind the left rad! The loom runs across the middle of the engine and is hard to look at so who knows...

Would love to strip her down today to have a look but better go out and keep the Mrs happy on a day like today! ;)

Thanks all and will post back soon.
Beast

Post by Beast »

Well after it behaving itself for the last few days on the bike, i thought all was well as i couldnt find anything wrong.

Got a mile away from my home and the bike died!

Tried starting but all i got was a good click from the starter relay.

Walked home, got another battery, booster and test meter...

Fitted another battery... still get a click...
Tried booster... still a click...
Put meter across battery, press the starter and voltage drops right down to way below half of what it should be...
Tested relay... still the same...
Take lead off starter motor and test... all looks good and no drop in voltage.
Got to be the starter motor surely?
Took off starter and rigged it up out of the bike and it wirls up really good, but under load i think the starter is lazy and drains the battery when trying to start.

Only thing i can do now is try a starter motor.
eblag here i come...