new owner of vtr but problems since day one,help.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sepia

new owner of vtr but problems since day one,help.

Post by sepia »

hello to all.

would be a long story to tell all probs,ill try & tone it down.all problems seem common after looking @ site.

always had trouble starting but has been cold up here in aberdeen & carbs set for viper cans,now back to standard cans.does end up starting.

broke down going to dundee 3weeks ago,it was pouring down.revd but wouldnt go over 40mph.after half hour would go again then back to 40mph 2miles down the road.after four hours lifted seat to look @ spark plugs,touched all the wires under seat & bike went ok after doing that.so take it water got in.

now main problem.last week started having trouble starting & few times had to charge battery,bike started ok.on tue bike wouldnt start after had it started but stopped @ a shop.tried to charge battery but goosed.got new battery but could only charge for 1hour & put it in but wouldnt start.lights etc have all been working with battery but not enough to power up.so i got a jump start from a car(also has bump started & portable jump lead started).

charged new battery over night(borrowed from bike shop).today bike started ok but @ lunch time went back to bike shop with charger,guy said bike seems ok.went to petrol station filled up then tried to start bike but wasnt happening.then i noticed bit of smoke from starter motor connection on the front.just the slightest turn over from electric start causes this.now i have been noticed smoke from here a few times but thought was just water burnning off.

is it goosed starter(but seems to work with jumps) or just need to clean starter connection(inside rubber was a total mess) or r&r.

thanks steve.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: new owner of vtr but problems since day one,help.

Post by cupasoop »

fit like min

where the cable joins the starter is in direct line from all the crap coming off the front wheel. Take the wee rubber boot off the connection and the bolt will be all rusted I bet. Either take the cable off and clean it all up, refit and smother in something greasy or take it back to the shop. Worst case will be the bolt has corroded and the starter will need to come apart for the bolt to be replaced (it's not really a bolt but it can be replaced with one with a wee bit of fudding around......stainless bold will be best).

These big twins need lots of battery power to turn them over and a bad connection anywhere will give you problems.
Rich.

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

might be just the starter brushes want changing.
or the lead might've come loose.
might be reg/rec?

get a free shop manual (firestorm / superhawk) - http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp? ... 6112100102

parts list - http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp? ... 6122105112

sp1 /2 shop manual - http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp? ... 6112100102

sp 1 / 2 owners book - http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp? ... 6112100102

the manual gives the min length of the starter brushes.
think david silver has new ones :)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sepia

Post by sepia »

thanks guys.
got a 2nd hand manual through the post 2day.

when took off the rubber it was full off dirt,little stones etc.

there is a bit of rust round the connection,but dosnt look all rusted.

tried to take off the nut but it is a wee bit rounded & didnt want to force it.i will wait to get another socket that can fit.will be having a proper look on saturday.

asked guy in bike shop if could be r&r,he said it wont be that as only the power in the battery will go to starter not a surge of over power.

i do think it is the connection as it very dirty.

happy for any more answers as im sure this has happend to a few vtrs,lol.

steve.
sepia

Post by sepia »

also.

why does it start ok with full charged battery,bump start & jump leads.

the starter does turn a bit even with lost battery power but not enough to kick it in.

if i jump started it can i cause any more problem to the starter when driving.
sepia

Post by sepia »

hi.

was looking @ 2nd hand starters.

would a vtr1000 ps1 starter motor fit my firestorm (1997)

thanks steve.
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

As for the starting issue it sounds like you need to check that your regulator is charging your battery correctly.

Also, check your fuel tap diaphram for the running issues.

Hope this helps
Keep Her Lit !
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

sepia wrote:
if i jump started it can i cause any more problem to the starter when driving.
dunno about damaging the starter but i fried the reg rec on my 750 by jumpstarting it off my car while it was running.

does the battery hold charge over a few days when the bike isnt run or does it go flat?
if it goes flat overnight its most probably the r/r is fkt and earthing the battery.
batteries dont last forever tho and theyre only 30 odd quid.
david silvers got r/r for 59 or theres the r6 mod in a thread here somewhere.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sepia

Post by sepia »

hi.

when charged bettery last week.it lasted 5 days before it wouldnt start,but lights etc were all coming on ok.

new battery(£50 from local dealer yesterdy)lasted just about 5 starts,lights etc still coming on.

the starter is nearly kicking in,but just short of the power,just scared to try to much with smoke coming off the starter connection area every time i try & start it.the smoke comes as soon as i press starty button.

starts 1st time with bupms & jump leads.

ps will a the new finned regulator for firestorms still fit & be ok on my 1997 one
also,does a vtr1000 sp1 starter motor work on my 1997 firestorm.
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

Takes a lot of cranking power to turn over the twin. Test and make sure that the voltage going over your battery when the engine is running is correct. Should be about 14.5v. If not then your regulator is goosed.

If you have cleaned the contact on the Starter motor then I really don't know where the smoke would be coming from.
Keep Her Lit !
sepia

Post by sepia »

will check the battery voltage.

havnt cleaned starter connection yet,doing it saturday as screw head a bit rounded & havnt got right tools & dont want to knacker it up.using guy round the corners tools & hes a served biker so he will have better knowhow.
just need to know if regulator is goosed would that send to much power to starter & make it smoke or would it just be the starter nacked or connection needing cleaned.ive only money to buy starter or a regulator.so have to find out which to buy,lol.
steve.
steveb

Post by steveb »

If your gonna buy a reg / rec get one for a Yam R1 from ebay, looks like the one in this link;

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15670

But needs mod'ing as per the instructions here;

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5308

I've just bought a Yam reg / rec for £13 from ebay........try the breakers yards too.
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
-------------------------------------------------
sepia

Post by sepia »

thanks steve.
i havnt got a solder iron & was looking to buy the honda newer finned type for now,but knowone seem to know if ok fo 1997 firestorm.would like to buy one for weekend as spare incase need when looking @ bike.also need to know if sp1vtr1000 starter would fit my 1997 firestorm as could get for same reason.
had s quick look @ starter connection bolt & looks like a bit of solder on it & seems a wee bit loose going into starter,i wander if been trouble before??.

forgot to say aswell,ive been getting the odd fismire when starting & sometimes when decelerate & pull in clutch bike cuts out & restarts itself.can also get misfire when in neautral & reving @ 3.000rpm.these thing dont happen alot but they have.was told its cause carbs set for racing pipes & i have standard.

thanks for help guys,sure can get there in the end.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Smoke from the starter :eek2

Can you see exactly where its coming from and what is causeing it, is it sparking or is the cable getting hot and melting?

Sounds like that is your main problem and probably the cause of battery problems too.
Ride Safe
Phil
kevg

Post by kevg »

Hi Sepia, hello from the shire, i'm near Insch

as far as i know the newer model reg/rec will fit the older storms, it is a common mod on an older storm, that and a new battery should cure most of the problems...i don't know about the smoking starter though, i've got no idea about electrickity, thats what sparks are for.
cheerz

kev