Rear shock

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
cheekykev

Rear shock

Post by cheekykev »

Hi I've just taken the sub frame out to be shot blasted and then powder coated coz it started to show signs of rust (yes common flaw i know)
So while I've got all the back end in bits i thought i might as well replace that excuse for a rear shock for a real one.
Can anyone give me any tips on what to look for, I only use the bike for pleasure rides out and often carry my 10 year old son on the back, I don't do track days or anything like that, but i do like to have a good play on the open country roads :D
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
benny hedges

Re: Rear shock

Post by benny hedges »

you could just put an uprated spring in it bud - i got a yacugar progressive jobby from the very helpfull chaps at ftr
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Kev,
My homework took me to Nitron with their "road" spec shock which has both Comp & Rebound adjusted by a single clicker, and I spent the exra money saved on the full race spec part [with seperate C&R clickers and remote res, high speed damping etc] on the hydraulic preload adjuster. Still not cheap as the PL adjuster is about £150 extra

If you are going to take a pillion, and you have the correct spring fitted for your weight, you need to able adjust the spring preload, and getting in there with a C-spanner and adding 5 or 6 turns will take you all morning and leave you with bleeding knuckles and you wont want to go out after that :thumbdown:

Other options I considered were Maxton or Wilbers, but I went for Nitron based on the cost / spec trade off. and I am impressed with the Quality and Performance so far

Only downside is that I had to tell Nitron what spring to fit, as they wanted to fit a spring much closer to the stock Honda rate! My WP shock came with a similar spring when I got it 2nd hand, and I had to change that as it was too stiff, so I knew it wasnt a good reccomendation
I had already talked to Roger D about what was the best spring for my weight, and that worked worked on the WP shock, so I told Nitron to fit the same, but I had expected them to know more than me about such things so was a bit dissapointed about that.

So Nitron make good shocks but they dont know the Firestorm as well as Roger D, the other option is to get a wilbers from Roger and know that it has all his knowlege [and follow up] built in
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you're on a budget, the Hagon with a remote adjuster is about £425, so no skinned knuckles.

I have the remote adjuster fitted near my right knee, so that I can adjust it without getting off the bike- seems logical, and works just fine.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
motostorm

Post by motostorm »

im on the lookout for an upgrade for my daily ride ,
but if your not on a budget i got a wilbers race shock for my streetfighter thingy and it reallY is great quality , but , theres no way i can justify that kind of money for another 97 bike ,

im trying to find some reviews on the basic nitron , i think at the moment thats where im headed , but am just trying to establish wheather anyone can confirm its a good upgrade on standard ,

in my opinion the one thing a storm really benifits from is better quality suspension, ive an 05 blade front on one and an r1 front on the other

let us know if you come up with any further info :thumbup:
its not the dog in the fight its the fight in the dog
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

motostorm wrote: im trying to find some reviews on the basic nitron , i think at the moment thats where im headed , but am just trying to establish wheather anyone can confirm its a good upgrade on standard ,

Motostorm, I have been running with the Basic Nitron road shock for the last half of the summer, it is working better than the WP one I had before [and it was fully serviced], and it is night & day better than the stock unit.

See this link AMQ46's storm
AMcQ
motostorm

Post by motostorm »

AMCQ46 wrote:
motostorm wrote: im trying to find some reviews on the basic nitron , i think at the moment thats where im headed , but am just trying to establish wheather anyone can confirm its a good upgrade on standard ,

Motostorm, I have been running with the Basic Nitron road shock for the last half of the summer, it is working better than the WP one I had before [and it was fully serviced], and it is night & day better than the stock unit.

See this link AMQ46's storm
link not working?? :(

great stuff sir , thats the first bit of owner info ive been able to find on the "road" unit for the firestorm , sounds very impressive from what your saying . ill keep you posted , thanks for help :thumbup:
its not the dog in the fight its the fight in the dog